Country

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I've been meaning to get into Classic Country for some time, and I just recently decided to start off on this expedition with Waylon Jennings' Honky Tonk Heroes. It's nothing too startling, but it's sincere and Waylon has a great voice. I think I'll begin to like it more and more. Any suggestions as to what Country albums I should get next are welcome, as it's fairly new ground for me so I'm excited to dig deeper.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

I've been meaning to get into Classic Country for some time, and I just recently decided to start off on this expedition with Waylon Jennings' Honky Tonk Heroes. It's nothing too startling, but it's sincere and Waylon has a great voice. I think I'll begin to like it more and more. Any suggestions as to what Country albums I should get next are welcome, as it's fairly new ground for me so I'm excited to dig deeper.

Hank Williams, without a fuckin doubt! he is the fuckin man, the father of it all, without him i dunno if Dylan or Cash would sound like they do. he was just amazing, pity he drank himself to death by 29 but LORD was he talented! Jambalaya, Move It On Over, I Cant Help It If Im Still In Love With You, Honky Tonk Blues...just anything this man touched is/was pure fucking genius. as honest and as true and as authentic country music as u will find. bet that.

Hank Williams, without a fuckin doubt! he is the fuckin man, the father of it all, without him i dunno if Dylan or Cash would sound like they do. he was just amazing, pity he drank himself to death by 29 but LORD was he talented! Jambalaya, Move It On Over, I Cant Help It If Im Still In Love With You, Honky Tonk Blues...just anything this man touched is/was pure fucking genius. as honest and as true and as authentic country music as u will find. bet that.

My friend is burning me his Hank CD, I've heard some of it already and it is indeed great. I've been especially meaning to get into Hank for a real long time.

"Fly trouble..."

Yes, Hank Williams is good. I also like a bit of Don Williams and Johnny Horton.

It's a genre that has eluded me for many years for some reason. I'm fond of the old classics though.

Johnny Horton is the man. I love his stuff so much. North To Alaska, Sink The Bismarck and The battle Of New Orleans being favourites.

Yes, Hank Williams is good. I also like a bit of Don Williams and Johnny Horton.

It's a genre that has eluded me for many years for some reason. I'm fond of the old classics though.

Johnny Horton is the man. I love his stuff so much. North To Alaska, Sink The Bismarck and The battle Of New Orleans being favourites.

The battle Of New Orleans is a great track. I also recently bought my old man a copy of a Hoyt Axton album which I nefariously copied and was delighted to find another version of it on there.

Agreed.

I know it's different style, but I really dig Jr. as well. His latest stuff hasn't been that great but he is the fucking, 5 time entertainer of the year for a reason.

Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers are great to listen to. especially if you're a rock fan dabbling in country. also, Willie has a few good albums; "Shotgun Willie", "Phases And Stages", and "Red-Headed Stranger". That Waylon album you got is a good one. there's a new Waylon box set called "Nashville Rebel" that is great. it's 4 cd's and you can find it at some places for less than $30.

you gotta get some Merle Haggard. from about '66 to '73 he put out nothing but good stuff. also, Buck Owens is great and Dwight Yoakam has put out alot of good stuff.

Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers are great to listen to. especially if you're a rock fan dabbling in country. also, Willie has a few good albums; "Shotgun Willie", "Phases And Stages", and "Red-Headed Stranger". That Waylon album you got is a good one. there's a new Waylon box set called "Nashville Rebel" that is great. it's 4 cd's and you can find it at some places for less than $30.

you gotta get some Merle Haggard. from about '66 to '73 he put out nothing but good stuff. also, Buck Owens is great and Dwight Yoakam has put out alot of good stuff.

I have looked into Merle Haggard, "Swinging Doors" is a great tune.

I think I'll just get another Waylon album sometime, probably Dreaming My Dreams, and then if the Outlaw thing sticks, it's inevitably Willie next.

I'll be looking out for all kinds of stuff on the cheap though, as usual.

I think I'll just get another Waylon album sometime, probably Dreaming My Dreams, and then if the Outlaw thing sticks, it's inevitably Willie next.

oh yeah, "Swinging Doors" is an awesome tune. if you get another Waylon album, get the double live CD. it's great.

513u6hViDxL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Waylon-Live-Jennings/dp/B000095J7S

hank williams III is the best thing in country now. he is the grandson of hank williams and son of hank junior. he is fucking badass and has brought country back to its roots and back to the way his grandpa would be proud of. pick up either sraight to hell or lovesick, broke, and drifting either one is great.

oh yeah, "Swinging Doors" is an awesome tune. if you get another Waylon album, get the double live CD. it's great.

513u6hViDxL._SS500_.jpg

It does look tremendous indeed.

I never really got into Hank Williams and Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson.. (yeah I know how weird, i'm from mississippi).. I like a few songs, like the family tradition and seven spanish something.. i forget right now... but never was a big fan of it.. I like the newer sadder country.. but thats about it

I never really got into Hank Williams and Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson.. (yeah I know how weird, i'm from mississippi).. I like a few songs, like the family tradition and seven spanish something.. i forget right now... but never was a big fan of it.. I like the newer sadder country.. but thats about it

well, if you like sad stuff try some George Jones or some Merle Haggard.

Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys

link

I am a Bob Wills fan.

I should have clarified, in terms of classic country (disregarding Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and the like), I've also got some things from Bob Wills, The Carter Family, and Johnny Cash amongst others.

513u6hViDxL._SS500_.jpg

I've just ordered this along with Dreaming My Dreams.

Lucinda Williams -Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

The big one for me is Uncle Tupelo-Anodyne though. Technically they're alt-country but that album is more country than any mainstream stuff nowadays. Really any of their stuff is great though.