The Dead Flower NuGnR concert experience

Thanks, fags. Your candor is most refreshing. Yes, my arms look like they've been carved from marble, yet my skin retains that soft and supple feel. :kiss:

Anyway, I'm sad to report that my attempts to steal the promotional poster last night were disastrous. Who would have thought they actually glued the bloody things to the wall? It did, however, allow me to do a delightful imitation of John Belushi in Animal House as I sneaked my way towards the poster.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I had forgotten about this fine thread.

Here's an interesting little tidbit... Axl Rose has been on the 'Temptation' (or 'Sale Of The Century', for you old-school dudes) Fame Game Board three times in the past month. Each time he gets a free plug for the upcoming Aus shows. That's pretty good promotion, considering it's a high rating prime-time show.

Not once has Slash been on the Fame Game Board. This disturbs me greatly, so I've written a letter to Ch.9.

Dear Ed Phillips,

Well done on tapping Tottie Goldsmith back when she was relatively attractive. She's got great tits.

Please put Slash on your Fame Game Board, because he's just as cool as Axl, if not cooler.

Yours sincerely

Daddy Dead Flower

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

Hmmm, I had forgotten about this fine thread.

Here's an interesting little tidbit... Axl Rose has been on the 'Temptation' (or 'Sale Of The Century', for you old-school dudes) Fame Game Board three times in the past month. Each time he gets a free plug for the upcoming Aus shows. That's pretty good promotion, considering it's a high rating prime-time show.

Not once has Slash been on the Fame Game Board. This disturbs me greatly, so I've written a letter to Ch.9.

Dear Ed Phillips,

Well done on tapping Tottie Goldsmith back when she was relatively attractive. She's got great tits.

Please put Slash on your Fame Game Board, because he's just as cool as Axl, if not cooler.

Yours sincerely

Daddy Dead Flower

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

:rofl-lol: nice letter.

• 2 weeks later...
What colour socks will you be wearing to the concert? I'm going in red ones, to match Axl's hair.

I'm wearing nylon socks with traces of red, gold and green to match Axl's hair. Oh, I'm naughty!

There was another article about the upcoming show in The West on Friday.

4ucr7sy.jpg

Yeah, I know I cut some off at the bottom, but I couldn't be fucked doing it again.

I'll post the two old ones in this thread, too.

nugnrarticle1bab7.th.jpg

(click on thumbnail to view full image)

nugnrarticle2bdr9.th.jpg

(click on thumbnail to view full image)

I think you should ease your way up to the front of the stage, Dead Flower; and then, right in the middle of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," you should hold out your hands to Axl and shout, "I want to touch you, God!" And when he walks over to you all flattered and such, you should reach out and instead of touching his hands or something, grab a hold of his hair and tear off his wig. Then yell, "Gotcha! Tee-hee!" Then grab the microphone from him and in your best Axl imitation scream, "KNEE-YOCK YOCK YOCKIN' ON HEEE-YEAVUN'S DYEEYOUREEEOOR, HEY, HEY HEYYY."

I bet the look on his face would be priceless! I'm sure you and Axl would both have a good laugh about it, especially after the show when you're laying in the back alley and Frank and Del James are beating you with wooden bats. Don't forget to take photographs! It would be a great finish to this thread!

Edited by Estranged Reality

I think you should ease your way up to the front of the stage, Dead Flower; and then, right in the middle of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," you should hold out your hands to Axl and shout, "I want to touch you, God!" And when he walks over to you all flattered and such, you should reach out and instead of touching his hands or something, grab a hold of his hair and tear off his wig. Then yell, "Gotcha! Tee-hee!" Then grab the microphone from him and in your best Axl imitation scream, "KNEE-YOCK YOCK YOCKIN' ON HEEE-YEAVUN'S DYEEYOUREEEOOR, HEY, HEY HEYYY."

I bet the look on his face would be priceless! I'm sure you and Axl would both have a good laugh about it, especially after the show when you're laying in the back alley and Frank and Del James are beating you with wooden bats. Don't forget to take photographs! It would be a great finish to this thread!

OMG ! :lol:rock3

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

A lot of you probably think I'm just a sexy playboy with a devil-may-care attitude who doesn't really ponder too many philosophical questions, but you are mistaken.

I want to get deep with you all for a minute...

Anyone who knows me is well aware that I love GnR. I often bring Axl, Slash and the rest of the band into conversations with other people, even though it usually results in uncomfortable silences and stares of bewilderment from the other party. I don't know why I love GnR so much, or why I post five times a day on a GnR messageboard, but it's just something I enjoy.

Anyway, as I approach the concert date, I'm having a lot of people asking me "Oh, it must be great to be finally seeing your favourite band live?" Frankly, I'm not sure how to answer. Am I really seeing my favourite band? No Slash, no Izz, no Duff... it's a very complicated question.

In future years when I'm looking through my old CD collection with my son, and he asks me whether I saw GnR live, how will I answer him?

These are the questions that haunt my dreams as we approach June 10th.

When your offspring ask you that question that is your chance to go into a giant long-winded answer that could lead into the night 'Well son you are really asking a few questions there...the first takes me back to 1986..' etc etc.

It has been my dream to answer a question like that; so I assume that everyone else shares this dream.

Or of course you can say 'Well I saw what craaazy Uncle Axl thought was GN'R...'

When your offspring ask you that question that is your chance to go into a giant long-winded answer that could lead into the night 'Well son you are really asking a few questions there...the first takes me back to 1986..' etc etc.

That's a good point. I'm hoping to be a rambling, senile old man by the time I'm thirty.

I also think I might beat my children if they ask stupid questions, so the answer I give my son could be a good smack across the ears.

I also think I might beat my children if they ask stupid questions, so the answer I give my son could be a good smack across the ears.

Beating your child is the only way to raise them. In fact testing (done by yours truly) has proven that the longer and heavier object you hit them with, the less likely said child is going to bother you while you watch TV. It's win win.

Well, the show confirmed to me that Appetite For Destruction is one hell of an album. The opening three songs were loud, gritty works of art that just punched me in the face and had the crowd going apeshit. Nightrain was the same, and helped restore the loss of momentum during the middle part of the show. But then there is also Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City ... two songs that will forever be timeless and just go to a whole other level when you see 'em live. Old, young, guys, girls ... it didn't matter, everyone just lost themselves in these two songs, grooved to the music and sang along to the choruses.

I missed most of Rose Tattoo, unfortunately. We lost track of time before the show (ie. we got on the piss) and were running a bit late. Saw the last 5-6 songs, though. Seeing Angry sing Nice Boys is something I'll always remember.

Bach was like a bad comedy act. He played shitty songs, twirled his microphone over his head at least five times during each of these shitty songs, and flicked his feathered hair a lot. I'll give him credit for being able to work a crowd though. He dedicated I Remember You to Bon Scott, which the crowd loved (personally I think Bon would have been rolling in his grave to have such a corny ballad dedicated to him) and he provided a few laughs with lame jokes about the internet ("I'll sell weed to pay my rent!") and how great Perth winters are. His acting when he "threatened" to leave the stage during the final song of his set was hilarious ... I yelled out that I'd be quite happy for him to piss off, but was drowned out by morons cheering for him to come back.

After that unpleasantness, I set myself for a long, long wait for Axl. But, much to my delight, it was only a half hour before the lights went out, the spotlights started dancing around the crowd, and Robin leaned over the stage teasing us with that riff. Crowd went nuts all through WTTJ, ISO, and MrB.

Then came Live And Let Die. Now I've hung a lot of shit on this song. And I really, really wanted to keep hating the stupid Wings cover ... but it fucking went off! Got one of the best crowd reactions of the night with all the pyro (yes, the stupid pyro sucked me in) and everyone head-banging to that riff. Axl's screams were awesome. Even I can be wrong occasionally.

Then came Finck's solo. Only four songs in, which was a bit of a shame, but not unexpected. I like Finck, but this solo was the most god awful shit I've ever heard in my life. It was like he was hurting his guitar. And it just seemed to go forever.

But then came Sweet Child, and all was forgiven. Awesome.

Then came the first new/unheard song of the night, Better. Axl struggled at times with the vocals, but I thought it was a really solid performance of a song I really like. Unfortunately the crowd just couldn't get into it ... I guess because most just hadn't heard it before. Real shame, imo. The bridge was just insane – heaviest thing they played all night and the arena literally felt like it was shaking.

Right about now is where I felt the band lost some real momentum and the show became very up and down. A new song, followed by the Dylan cover. I'm sorry, but KOHD really sucked, imo. It went for fucking ages, and was just dull. Axl's vocals sounded like a better parody than Adam Sandler could ever do.

YCBM was next. Good but not great. Just doesn't work as well with the new band for some reason. The images of fast cars in the background really didn't make much sense to me.

Dizzy's piano solo was probably the best solo of the night, but it still sucked.

The Blues sounded great to me. Live it is better than any bootleg, or even the studio demo. But, again, the crowd just went flat because it was a new song. Maybe Axl should release the album, huh?

Fortus solo. I went to take a piss. Lost my spot, but whatever. Out Ta Get Me got the place rocking again, but sounded a bit out of place between two ballads.

November Rain was great. Crowd got the lighters out, someone lit up a spliff, and Thal rocked the outro.

IRS next. Nope, just didn't do it for me. Would have preferred the title track that this tour is named after. But, either way, I think the crowd reaction would have been the same.

Bumble solo. Nearly as bad as Finck's. Really quite horrible. But then he played Don't Cry and the crowd sang along. Good stuff, but made me think of Slash.

Bach came out and ruined My Michelle with his Macho Man / Kermit the Frog voice. Got the crowd jumping, though, I must admit.

Then Axl introduced Bubbles by telling a very amusing story about Mexico and Tequila. I love Trailer Park Boys, I love Bubbles, and I thought it was a bit of fun to see them sing Liquor and Whores. Axl had the time of his life and seems to have made a really cose friend in Mike Smith. I think the whole thing kinda had a lot of the crowd very bemused though. Is this what people want to see at a Gunners concert?

Patience was cool.

Then came Nightrain and it kicked our asses. Crowd went nuts. Then came the best moment of the night ... Paradise City. That riff is made for head-banging, and the chorus was made for a stadium to sing along to. Confetti and shit at the end was maybe a bit too much for a rock show, but whatever.

Great night.

Bach was like a bad comedy act. He played shitty songs, twirled his microphone over his head at least five times during each of these shitty songs, and flicked his feathered hair a lot.

Bach came out and ruined My Michelle with his Macho Man / Kermit the Frog voice.

Your Bach criticisms always crack me up. :rofl-lol:

Good review, and a fair bit more objective than most.

Does anyone know wich Mexico concert axl was talking about that he was hung over and vomiting out the back?

i never liked sebastian till last night he knows how to rock,very professional.

axl looked verry happy and calm,he looked as he was enjoying it as much as i was