Blind Melon

jimmyslash

this is a band i wish lasted.shannon hoon was a great vocalist but like most rock stars the drugs got to him.i just read that the band reformed with a new vocalist travis warren.i wish this didnt happen, sorta like queen.i mean the original blind melon was a clssic band, and now i feel that they are ruining the legacy shannon made for them.

this is a band i wish lasted.shannon hoon was a great vocalist but like most rock stars the drugs got to him.i just read that the band reformed with a new vocalist travis warren.i wish this didnt happen, sorta like queen.

Queen tour as Queen & Paul Rodgers. So, it's not like Rodgers is a part of the band.

Edited by worldwideboss

Blind Melon was an incredible band, however i don't think the new band might "ruin" the legacy, what stupid kind of shit is that? its like, since the vocalist died they cant make more music like they did, its stupid to say so, if they dont manage to make good music who gives a fuck, original blind melon still kicksass, im interested in seeing whats going to happen.

Blind Melon was an incredible band, however i don't think the new band might "ruin" the legacy, what stupid kind of shit is that? its like, since the vocalist died they cant make more music like they did, its stupid to say so, if they dont manage to make good music who gives a fuck, original blind melon still kicksass, im interested in seeing whats going to happen.

Well, I think they can still make music - just change the band's name coz it isn't Blind Melon anymore.

I think the only real problem is that they waited too long to reform, and in that time shannon became a legend. Same thing as queen. When AC/DC replaced Bon Scott, no one had a problem with it, so why is this really any different? All the best to the new Blind Melon, their new tracks sound great. Better than most of the stuff from Soup IMHO.

Honestly, I don't kno how i'd feel about them writing albums without shannon..it wouldnt be blind melon. But if they toured with a new signer, and played the old tunes, you're damn right I'd go. What a time that'd be. It'd be a celebration. Blind Melon is my 2nd or 3rd favorite band, and i'd go just to party with all the other die hards. Whens the tour start?!

All the best to the new Blind Melon, their new tracks sound great. Better than most of the stuff from Soup IMHO.

Whaaat? Are you serious? How man times have you listened to soup? I think its like my favorite album of all time, and i suggest you all get it. Galaxie, 2x4, toes across the floor, and my absolute favorte, St. Andrews Fall...one of the most beautiful songs ever. Nico had some really great tunes too..god i miss that band.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blind Melon, but I don't really think they had much legacy to ruin. They had like what... 2 songs that anybody knows? They aren't exactly the Rolling Stones or Beatles here.

but they probably wouldve been bigger if shannon lived and they had more than just 2 songs that were good

• 1 month later...

Blind Melon is my favorite band behind GN'R, and I really believe they're gonna win the skeptics and doubters over when they release their album with Travis Warren. The guy's got an amazing voice, sounds enough like Shannon for me to think that the old songs will work live, and the 'new' song he wrote that they put up online back last year was great.

I don't know if it'll be as good as Soup or Self-titled, but I think it could be one of the best albums of whatever year it hits shelves in.

The latest from guitarist Rogers Stevens.

this is getting very chinese democracyish

indeed....have patience my friend. We are greasing the wheels in every way. It's possible that we could release several records before you get your eager hands on 'chinese democracy'. I hear all the gossip about that record out here....rather amusing from a distance but I would imagine not so amusing to be involved. All the music will be done on our record before the end of the week....

We're going to get it all mixed and then go out and figure out a record deal or something. If there's time before we have to turn in masters, we may even track more songs. There are WAY too many songs for us to get to right now...some really good ones that I'm bummed we haven't gotten to. Everybody is writing so much that it has been tough to keep up.....

rogers

Also we know that there is at least one song about Shannon on the record.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet!

Don't get me wrong, I love Blind Melon, but I don't really think they had much legacy to ruin. They had like what... 2 songs that anybody knows? They aren't exactly the Rolling Stones or Beatles here.

Exactly. Blind Melon are my favorite band, but they don't have a legacy to ruin (as sad at that is), therefore I don't particularly see anything wrong with them reforming with a different singer. I've been sent some Travis Warren bootlegs, so I'm going listen to them soon. I can't wait for the new album and for them to tour!

The main reason why Blind Melon didn't become popular is because of No Rain (which wasn't even written by Shannon, I quickly add); it was a very catchy and a popular song and has suffered through many cash-ins, and the fact that MTV overplayed the video - No Rain overshadows everything Blind Melon has done, which as a dedicated fan, is very sad. There is so much better material than No Rain.

And Soup by the way is an awesome album! I love it! :heart:

It's such a shame was cut short because of Shannon's death - R.I.P Shannon :(

And jimmyslash, I'm sure the new band will make a huge effort to remind new and upcoming fans about Shannon, who are not too familiar with him.

Edited by LCG

ive always thought that blind melon was such a good band musically they should have carried on straight after shannon died. its a band it could work for, like pink floyd or acdc. but bands like queen should never come back, theres only two members perfoming, just as bad as the who.

ive always thought that blind melon was such a good band musically they should have carried on straight after shannon died. its a band it could work for, like pink floyd or acdc. but bands like queen should never come back, theres only two members perfoming, just as bad as the who.

Have you heard Abandon Jalopy? It's mainly Brad Smith, but everyone from the band is featured at some point or another, it's a great album. Unified Theory was okay too, worth hearing anyways.

From reading about it, it seems these guys took Shannon's death really harshly, and it would've been unbearable for them to try to plow through with a different singer in the rest of the 90s.

• 1 month later...

If a band with the fan base of Alice in Chains can make the attempt to replace a dead singer , then Blind Melon has nothing to lose here

If the music is good and somewhat reminiscent of Shannon's songwriting ability, then it could work.

I always thought the guitar playing in Melon was vastly under-appreciated.

I always thought the guitar playing in Melon was vastly under-appreciated.

exactly...has anyone heard deserted? my favorite bm song

Yeah, it's great :heart:

At the moment my preferred album is Soup, although for a while now it was their self-titled. They're both excellent albums.

I didn't realize this thread was created by you, jimmyslash. I'm quite surprised, but happy that you like Blind Melon.

I listened to the new song yesterday; it's great :shades:

Edited by LCG

Shannon was a unique vocalist and songwriter and of course it is difficult for a band to keep going after a band member passes away, but I don't think it's fair that people seem to think the rest of the band is just supposed to go their seperate ways.

Also, I hate to point out the obvious, but this is a Guns N' Roses forum and people are bitching about Blind Melon (with 4/5 original members) going by thier original name but have no problem with Axl still calling his band Guns N' Roses. Quite ironic don't you think?