NIN to offer instant album downloads

Popescu

As most of you know we've really been pushing Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails album "Year Zero", and what's so cool is his viral marketing campaign for the album and his attitude towards the record labels. Now that the album has had a few weeks to digest, Reznor has been very outspoken about how unhappy he is with his record label - but today he dropped the bomb, one that will change the music world forever. Do you think movie studios will follow? Read on for details on the future of media...

"I've have one record left that I owe a major label, then I will never be seen in a situation like this again," Reznor tells The Herald Sun, "If I could do what I want right now, I would put out my next album, you could download it from my site at as high a bit-rate as you want, pay $4 through PayPal."

But what if you want more? Some people like the packaging... he has it all planned out, "Come see the show and buy a T-shirt if you like it. I would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing." But here's the bomb, the atomic bomb if you will... "And it would come out the day that it's done in the studio, not this 'Let's wait three months" bulls---.'"

The future is here, the future is now and Trent Reznor is finally someone willing to do something about it. Think about it, if he sells 200,000 albums the DAY he drops the CD on PayPal, he'd make nearly a million bucks in one night. How many other artists will follow suit... the record labels should be afraid, very afraid.

Talk don't mean sh-t if you don't do something about it. Come on Trent, don't make promises like our little South Park friends who did nothing about the MPAA. CHANGE the future!

----

Pretty interesting to say the least... I think the future of music industry is really here.

Edited by Popescu

The only part that interests me is where he says "[he] would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing."

Most people don't want to pay to download a file they can get for free just as easily. :huh:

I don't think it will necessarily change anything as far as how many copies he sells, unless he does something fantastic with the physical packaging that he couldn't do for a product being sold in stores rather than via the internet.