Covering songs with great meaning?

Does anyone else have problems with covering songs that you know have a really deep meaning for the original artists? Like me and my band have been jamming on release by Pearl Jam, but I dunno if I wanna do it in a gig since I know it was Eddie Vedder's song for his father that he only knew was his dad after he was dead, also Powderfinger's Since You've Been Gone which was Bernard Fanning's song for his brother who died. Anyone else ever encountered this problem or see where im coming from?

like covering Layla?

Is Layla really that deep?

But Tears in Heaven I suppose is more what I was thinking since it was about his son who died. Even though our other guitarist plays and sings that quite regularly :confused: oh shit

It worked when Johnny Cash covered "Hurt."

I guess if the song can be applied to you or your own personal experiences, it can work.

That's true, I also wondered if songs lose meaning when covered, but if the song speaks to you, it could be just as meaningful

Does anyone else have problems with covering songs that you know have a really deep meaning for the original artists? Like me and my band have been jamming on release by Pearl Jam, but I dunno if I wanna do it in a gig since I know it was Eddie Vedder's song for his father that he only knew was his dad after he was dead, also Powderfinger's Since You've Been Gone which was Bernard Fanning's song for his brother who died. Anyone else ever encountered this problem or see where im coming from?

So is Alive. Pick up a copy of Pearl Jam's Storytellers. He tells the whole story behind the song and how its meaning has changed for him over time. It's incredibly powerful.

On topic: It's weird. I tend to agree with Santana. Like, right now, I would not perform Tears in Heaven. If a close family member died, though, I would definitely add it into my sets as a tribute to them for a few months or more. Stuff like Bob Dylan's Tangled Up In Blue are a gray area for me, since they're so autobiographical. I play em for fun but wouldn't play em live. It's just personal prefference, I guess.

I didn't notice how much the feeling for the song matters until I heard the Area 54 cover of Madagascar

plus, if you know what the songs are about and you can put yourself in their shoes it shouldn't be a problem

Edited by Revolver