perth review~!

aussie_axl

by mr. baily.

Ok, here is my review from what I can recall from last night (or I spose it was really - this morning).

Was in the Gold GA section which was bascially the standing room area right at the very front. Kinda shoved my way forward with another 4 mates as close as we could. Finished up about 3 people back from the front, pretty much centre stage. Probably a good thin I was just back from the rail or I wouldnt have managed any photos or maybe even texts due to the security - but more about that later.

Rose Tattoo were obviously first and I thought they were great I think Angy Andersons voice is still pretty impressive. The highlight for me was, not surprisingly, when they played Nice Boys.

Ok - Sebastian Bach on next. Now I gotta be honest I have never been a big Bach fan. In the past I have thought that he was just a loud mouth tool trying to poke his head into Axl's spotlight. But I will say I was pleasantly surprise. He puts a huge amount of energy into his performance and he clearly loves being on stage (not that I ever doubted that), but he didn't come accross as arrogant. The band he is playing with seem to be really tight too which definitely adds to the performance. I thought he put in a huge effort. Nice all leather getup he had on too - lol

Bach's set finished about 10:30 and then the setup for GN'R started. Obviously I began wondering how long I would have to wait. Its worth pointing out too that Perth is damn backwards when it comes to a lot of things - normally for the Burswood Dome there is a curfew of I think 11:30 (or maybe 12:00 - not exactly sure) due to noise restrictions because of residential areas nearby blah blah blah - I know it's stupid. Now apparently it had been organised as a one off thing for GN'R to be allowed to play after midnight - but not sure how long after midnight they were allowed to (I had heard only 12:30, which is kinda gay). So I was expecting that they may be on earlier than the Mexico dates due to all this crap.

11:10PM GN'R hit the stage with the customary opening riffs of Jungle. As you would expect the crowd erupts (Bach had said during his set that the crowd was 18,000 (I think the Domes capacity is 20,000), they didn't seem to teast us too long with the riff before Axl and the boys come out to a sea of hands and fists pumping the air.

Now from a personal perspective this was a special moment for me since it was the first time I had seen Guns live. So to have Axl only a few feet in front of me belting out the opening verse of WTTJ totally rocked!

I won't go thru song by song (the setlist is posted somewhere now anyhow) with descriptions but will just mention a few highlights and things I noticed:

Axl looked fit and his voice sounded strong. When you are up close watching like that it's amazing, you really get to appreciate how much effort he puts into his performance.

During the first couple of songs I noticed Beta (I assume it was her - it looked like her) over to the side of the stage watching and she also took a few pics.

New Songs:

Better was great, I really rocked into that song and sang along. I got a couple of looks from people near me presumably they were wondering how I knew the song and the lyrics. But I still saw people around me getting into it regardless. How can you not though, the beat of the song just grinds along and really gets you moving.

Dizzy obviously played a bit of a piano solo including Angie before the Blues. I'm sure a couple of people around me were thinking he was about to launch into Nov Rain.

IRS - I have never been a big fan of this song and I have to say I struggled a bit to hear Axl's vocals during this one so that probably didn't help.

Axl seemed to be genuienely enjoying himself too. It was a pretty funny story about the Vodka and the first night in Mexico that he shared - having to go out and throw up between songs - classic. Good to hear he still gets up to some antics.

KOHD towards the end was good with the singalong happening he seemed to rev the song up a bit at the end, I almost thought he was going to say "gimme some reggae" at one point after he had spun the microphone stand around above his head then thrown it over onto the ground - lol

I was disappointed with the BBF Don't Cry solo - not with music itself but the crowd - hardly anyone was singing - idiots!! BBF motioned to the crowd at one point trying to encourage them but it never really got up.

The rest of the band - Tommy seemed to be really getting into the songs. He quite often came and stood right at the front and really rocked into it. I was also pleased to see that he had managed to lose that chequered suit

BBF and Finck to me seemed to be a lot more in the background and Finck a little quiet or subdued. But it was hard for me to get perspective on this since I was centrestage and they are predominatly on either side of the stage - except for the odd times that they walked around to the middle. So perhaps this was just more of an observation due to where I was standing.

I was trying to work out what was on BBF's tshirt - I have one pic of it but it's not very good. Did anyone else there notice this? The reason being it really looked like part of the design on the shirt had the slash skull with a tophat - a bit like the black death vodka logo mixed in to it?

Finck had his tophat on at one stage too.

Richard just looked cool (as always) and totally at home.

Dizzy seemed the same as always.

Frank was pretty inconspicious behind the drums

Axl had those purple shoes on again

Before he bought Bach out for My Michelle I was hoping he might have been talking about Angry Anderson and that we were going to get a duet of Nice Boys. But it wasn't to be. I have my fingers crossed that this might happen at one of the two Melbourne concerts that I am going to.

The only song for the encore was Paradise City. Personally I believe that this was due to the pathetic time restrictions imposed by the local authorities and given that we had Bubbles out playing a song too presumably took up additional time. After they had done their final bows Axl grabbed a microphone and (I unfortunately can't remember the exact words) but said words to the effect of "I have been critisced recently of being insincere (I think that was the word he used anyhow it was in the context of his performances I think and that its been said he is bascially just going thru the motions), then he said words to the effect that it's not the case at all and that he puts everything he has into the shows etc. Seeing him upclose in concert I would agree the guy gives it everything on the night - so that was interesting, anyone else at the concert remember exactly what he said?

Show finished about 1:30am (I think). Yeah I could selfishly say that I would have liked to hear Maddy and other things, but really I don't care. Whatever he was singing was fine with me, just the fact that he was here singing was good enough for me.

Security were good to act on any dickheads in the crowd quickly. But I have to say that was the tamest mosh pit (if you can call it that) that I have ever been in. I was fully expecting to get shoved and crushed all night, but I was pleasantly surprised. I don't mean that nobody got into it because everyone was definitely rocking but with very little dickhead factor around.

On the other hand the security themselves were dickheads. They were going nuts over anyone holding up a camera phone and taking photos. They were leaning over into the crowd pointing fingers and abusing people telling them to delete the photos. One of them was even climbing up on the rail with a torch and shining it at people to get their attention and tell them to put their phone away. I doubt this would have been a direction from the band. I mean they were probably told to stop people with video cameras or a massive normal professional camera which is understandable. But I think they (security) then took it upon themselves to take things to a ridiculous level. - sigh - it's a standard reaction though, give someone a tiny bit of authority and it goes to their head.

So here are the photos - due to the "lameass security" they aren't as good a quality as I hoped coz i had to be very discrete and quick. For pics of Rose Tattoo and Bach look in the update thread, they are already posted there.

But to sum it up, I had an awesome night as did all my mates (including a couple that are just more casual fans). I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Bring on next Fri and Sat night in Melbourne!!!!

another review of the night, and gnr in perth by a poster called ....daveyjc !

they all rule

my favourite was bumblefoot

he gave me the thumbs up and everything whern i yelled at him, and he gave my friends picks, then i met him and frank after the show at their hotel.

i was talking to their driver and apparently they are going diving today, then leaving tuesday on a private jet at about 3 to adelaide.

theyve been chauferred around perth in teo black mercedes and axl apparently took one for a solo drive but came back as he found it to hard to drive on the other side of the road haha.

after the show axl didnt go to the VIP section in the burswood and returned to the hyatt with Beta (who was present on stage all night).

tommy didnt even give me the time of day to talk to me. he didnt seem pleasant.

bumblefoot was the nicest guy i ever met, me and my mate loved him, hes got such a strong accent! i got a pic of me hugging him ill try and upload soon.

also frank was cool and me my mate bumblefoot and frank were standing around talking in the hotel, was amazing experience.

guns n roses also visited bon scotts grave in fremantle and they all kissed the tombstone, sebastian bach also dedicated his performance to the late bon scott which was very moving.

the opening band rose tattoo were unreal, they were all so old the drummer looked like he was about to have a heart attack, i didnt realise they wrote nice boys dont play rock n' roll.

AXL WAS ON TIME

everything ran like clockwork, axl came on at 11:05 and left at 1:30 the next morning, so he went over his curfew by one hour

Edited by aussie_axl

Yeah the concert was fukin brilliant, axl looked/sounded amzing, was great bein so close to axl. Axl told a cool story about drinkin a couple of bottles of tequila before the mexican shows and throwing up after every song. He seemed really happy. At the end he said somethin like, "iv questioned regarding my sincerity for doing this" or somethin like that, like aussieaxl mentioned and that they are just pleased to make it through a show and then he thanked us and said we hope to see u again.

There was a real friendly vibe in the mosh pit aswell, everyone aroud me was singing and smiling. The whole nigt was just fukin amazing.

Edit: did anyone record the show?

Edited by Midnight Rambler

guns n roses also visited bon scotts grave in fremantle and they all kissed the tombstone, sebastian bach also dedicated his performance to the late bon scott which was very moving.

That's awesome that they visited Bon Scott's grave. They must have a lot of respect for him. Bon Scott is a legend.

More roses than guns

June 10, 2007 10:00pm

Article from: The Sunday Times

OLD rockers don't die, they just get more sincere. Axl Rose may be missing his original bandmates and his explosive energy, but he still knows how to have fun.

Guns N' Roses

Burswood Dome

Sun, June 10

Review by Jay Hanna, STM Music Editor

My, my Axl, how things have changed. It was almost bang on 11 o'clock when that familiar other-worldy wail came bouncing across the darkness. "Do you know where the f**k you are?". Well yes, but did Guns N' Roses know what time it was? With a reputation for being notoriously late, perhaps Axl Rose and his band of seven were trying to get off on the right foot as they kicked off the Australian leg of their Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Flanked by a pair of guitarists that looked alarmingly like Rose's former band mates Slash and Izzy Stradlin, the corn-rowed rocker got the show underway with notorious party-starter "Welcome To The Jungle". As fire shot to the heavens the 45-year-old singer proved he still had those serpent-like moves slithering his hips and inviting the crowd to "feel my, my, my serpentine."

A far cry from the bike pant-sporting, bandanna-wearing firecracker that shook the rock world to it's foundations in the 80s and early 90s, Axl Rose circa 2007 is a far more low-key character. His once explosive energy has subsided somewhat and the stage set-up has been stripped back accordingly. Gone are the huge ramps and abundance of space to run around. The wardrobe has changed too with Rose sporting some stylishly cut jeans, a black leather jacket and dark sunglasses. His once slender frame, now a hell of a lot more burly.

Still Rose's desire to entertain hasn't changed and he certainly seemed to be having fun as the band reeled of a list of classics, "It's So Easy", "Mr Brownstone" and "Live And Let Die". Four songs in Rose breathlessly addressed the sea of black t-shirts. "You sure know how to make people feel welcome," he drawled. That was it? No abuse. No swearing. No tantrums. It was almost hard to imagine that this genial figure was the same temperamental rock star who is famed for both his on-stage and off-stage tantrums. It was Rose minus attitude.

It wasn't as if Rose didn't have reason to vent a little anger. As usual the sound quality at Burswood Dome was beyond appalling. Teamed with an abominable sound mix it ruined many moments. In particular "You Could Be Mine" and new songs like "Better" sounded muddy, with the vocals barely audible over the wash of guitars and floor-pounding drums. It was hard to tell just how good Rose sounds these days. He certainly doesn't have the range he once had and at times his high notes sounded almost comical. Racing around the stage certainly didn't help matters and Rose delivered a far better vocal performance when sitting at his piano for "November Rain".

While Rose did his best, there was no doubt many were unfavourably comparing the show to the sensational prospect of seeing Guns N' Roses at their peak. In particular the absence of charismatic guitar legend Slash was sorely felt and the most competent replacement, Richard Fortus, had to share those killer guitar riffs with far two far inferior guitarists. At one stage Rose stalked on stage ahead of the rest of the band and jokingly asked "where did my band go?". Unfortunately they left a long time ago....

There were plenty that left early, but when you consider the show spanned more than two hours wrapping up a little after 1am, that is too be expected. Still it cost them two of the night's highlights "Nightrain" and show stopper "Paradise City".

As ticket tape shot into the air, Rose and his band stepped on stage for a bow. Taking the microphone Rose acknowledged that people questioned his sincerity "for doing this" but as he earnestly thanked the crowd for their reception he sounded 100 per cent genuine.

Debate began raging as soon as we were spat out of the Dome with one unhappy punter claiming the sensation of being forcefully blown from the building was: "the best part of the night". No doubt there will be many mixed opinions and debate will continue for years to come, but while Guns N' Roses are no longer the band they once were, musically or physically, there is no denying that in his hey day Axl Rose was one of the best rock frontmen ever. Therefore to see him live is to see a living legend in action. It's just a shame that things have to change.

AXL WAS ON TIME

everything ran like clockwork, axl came on at 11:05 and left at 1:30 the next morning, so he went over his curfew by one hour

Awesome. My respect for Axl and the band and Bach too just went up a few notches higher. Bon's death was a great great loss to Rock N Roll and even now so many years after his death he is still loved and respected.

I walked away from last night with a bitter taste in my mouth. The shit sound quality ruined the fucking night, Axl's voice would come in and out and totally fucked Better. Still just to be there and witness it was great.

That's awesome that they visited Bon Scott's grave. They must have a lot of respect for him. Bon Scott is a legend.

Does anyone know if it was only Bach that made a dedication to Bon or did Axl do so too, on behalf of Guns? Can someone who was at the show confirm please?

No one thinks he doesnt put everything into his shows. It's the perception that the God-like Axl can't get it together to release an album when everyone can see he has material and keeps saying it exists etc. etc. I think people have given up now in general. The rock press have had their go at the Howard Hughes of rock story, now it's sort of a malaise of indifference. And people just see it as "rock legend comes to town". It's not like there's no albums to buy in the shops and GNR is still a great band. Even Spaghetti incident?! is awesome.

I walked away from last night with a bitter taste in my mouth. The shit sound quality ruined the fucking night, Axl's voice would come in and out and totally fucked Better. Still just to be there and witness it was great.

So I've heard that the arena in question is pure shit for sound. Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

So I've heard that the arena in question is pure shit for sound. Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

I was standing middle front and centre - and you could not hear the vocals whatsoever. Agree with previous posts of the tamest crowd in history - no mosh at all - 90% of people standing still. Was more of a family viewing show than a rock concert. Pyrotechnics and ticket tape was cool. Too many solos and not enough tunes - at least a quarter of the entire performance was dedicated to solos. Water was $4 - no alcohol. Many punters in the gold section had to leave early through sheer dehydration. Toilet facilities were absolutely shithouse.

Band were tight - Axl left the stage way too many times and was only on stage for about 55% of the concert.

Not trying to be negative - but I have waited an awfully long time to see Axl - and when I did see him it was relatively brief and due to the mix, rarely heard.

Still, I got to see my idol in the flesh and that's good enough for me - but only just.

Clearly a cash crab family entertainment show.

Thanks for allowing me to give my two cents worth :)

I was standing middle front and centre - and you could not hear the vocals whatsoever. Agree with previous posts of the tamest crowd in history - no mosh at all - 90% of people standing still. Was more of a family viewing show than a rock concert. Pyrotechnics and ticket tape was cool. Too many solos and not enough tunes - at least a quarter of the entire performance was dedicated to solos. Water was $4 - no alcohol. Many punters in the gold section had to leave early through sheer dehydration. Toilet facilities were absolutely shithouse.

Band were tight - Axl left the stage way too many times and was only on stage for about 55% of the concert.

Not trying to be negative - but I have waited an awfully long time to see Axl - and when I did see him it was relatively brief and due to the mix, rarely heard.

Still, I got to see my idol in the flesh and that's good enough for me - but only just.

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

I was right back up high, left side in the bleechers - I couldn't see a fuckin thing or hear a fuckin thing.

It sucked for me, and my wife was like ' my god, there's no one moving in the centre', even for Nightrain!

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Mind you - Bach sounded friggin awesome...

Something to ponder...

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

I was right back up high, left side in the bleechers - I couldn't see a fuckin thing or hear a fuckin thing.

It sucked for me, and my wife was like ' my god, there's no one moving in the centre', even for Nightrain!

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Something to ponder...

Yeah Bach had a killer mix - if only Axl had the same, we might well have seen a mosh of one or more persons....

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Something to ponder...

Yeah Bach had a killer mix - if only Axl had the same, we might well have seen a mosh of one or more persons....

Reckon.

I'd have moshed in the fuckin bleechers if I could have heard the band... :angry:

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Something to ponder...

Reckon.

I'd have moshed in the fuckin bleechers if I could have heard the band... :angry:

Haha yeah - the highlight for me was the fight which broke out just behind me during Sweet Child O Mine. Of all the songs to prompt a fight! Gold. :)

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Something to ponder...

Reckon.

Haha yeah - the highlight for me was the fight which broke out just behind me during Sweet Child O Mine. Of all the songs to prompt a fight! Gold. :)

Mind you - I'd have belted someone near me if they were pissed and singing out of key while I was straining to hear the Ax. :rolleyes:

You're dead right.

The sound was shite.

Fuck Burswood.

Shit sound. Shit place.

Something to ponder...

Reckon.

Mind you - I'd have belted someone near me if they were pissed and singing out of key while I was straining to hear the Ax. :rolleyes:

Agreed - I reckon that's why the floor standing folk were so bloody quiet and motionless trying to hear the fucker! I was just lip reading.