Review: More roses than guns - June 10, Perth

jack99

More roses than guns

Jay Hanna, STM music editor

June 10, 2007 10:00pm

OLD rockers don't die, they just get more sincere. Axl Rose may be missing his original bandmates and his explosive energy, but he still knows how to have fun.

Guns N' Roses

Burswood Dome

Sun, June 10

Review by Jay Hanna, STM Music Editor

My, my Axl, how things have changed. It was almost bang on 11 o'clock when that familiar other-worldy wail came bouncing across the darkness. "Do you know where the f**k you are?". Well yes, but did Guns N' Roses know what time it was? With a reputation for being notoriously late, perhaps Axl Rose and his band of seven were trying to get off on the right foot as they kicked off the Australian leg of their Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Flanked by a pair of guitarists that looked alarmingly like Rose's former band mates Slash and Izzy Stradlin, the corn-rowed rocker got the show underway with notorious party-starter "Welcome To The Jungle". As fire shot to the heavens the 45-year-old singer proved he still had those serpent-like moves slithering his hips and inviting the crowd to "feel my, my, my serpentine."

A far cry from the bike pant-sporting, bandanna-wearing firecracker that shook the rock world to it's foundations in the 80s and early 90s, Axl Rose circa 2007 is a far more low-key character. His once explosive energy has subsided somewhat and the stage set-up has been stripped back accordingly. Gone are the huge ramps and abundance of space to run around. The wardrobe has changed too with Rose sporting some stylishly cut jeans, a black leather jacket and dark sunglasses. His once slender frame, now a hell of a lot more burly.

Still Rose's desire to entertain hasn't changed and he certainly seemed to be having fun as the band reeled of a list of classics, "It's So Easy", "Mr Brownstone" and "Live And Let Die". Four songs in Rose breathlessly addressed the sea of black t-shirts. "You sure know how to make people feel welcome," he drawled. That was it? No abuse. No swearing. No tantrums. It was almost hard to imagine that this genial figure was the same temperamental rock star who is famed for both his on-stage and off-stage tantrums. It was Rose minus attitude.

It wasn't as if Rose didn't have reason to vent a little anger. As usual the sound quality at Burswood Dome was beyond appalling. Teamed with an abominable sound mix it ruined many moments. In particular "You Could Be Mine" and new songs like "Better" sounded muddy, with the vocals barely audible over the wash of guitars and floor-pounding drums. It was hard to tell just how good Rose sounds these days. He certainly doesn't have the range he once had and at times his high notes sounded almost comical. Racing around the stage certainly didn't help matters and Rose delivered a far better vocal performance when sitting at his piano for "November Rain".

While Rose did his best, there was no doubt many were unfavourably comparing the show to the sensational prospect of seeing Guns N' Roses at their peak. In particular the absence of charismatic guitar legend Slash was sorely felt and the most competent replacement, Richard Fortus, had to share those killer guitar riffs with far two far inferior guitarists. At one stage Rose stalked on stage ahead of the rest of the band and jokingly asked "where did my band go?". Unfortunately they left a long time ago....

There were plenty that left early, but when you consider the show spanned more than two hours wrapping up a little after 1am, that is too be expected. Still it cost them two of the night's highlights "Nightrain" and show stopper "Paradise City".

As ticket tape shot into the air, Rose and his band stepped on stage for a bow. Taking the microphone Rose acknowledged that people questioned his sincerity "for doing this" but as he earnestly thanked the crowd for their reception he sounded 100 per cent genuine.

Debate began raging as soon as we were spat out of the Dome with one unhappy punter claiming the sensation of being forcefully blown from the building was: "the best part of the night". No doubt there will be many mixed opinions and debate will continue for years to come, but while Guns N' Roses are no longer the band they once were, musically or physically, there is no denying that in his hey day Axl Rose was one of the best rock frontmen ever. Therefore to see him live is to see a living legend in action. It's just a shame that things have to change.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...5005368,00.html

Gunners rock for Bon Scott

11th June 2007, 13:45 WST

The dedication of Guns ‘N Roses gig last night to former AC/DC singer and Fremantle’s favourite son Bon Scott added just a little more enthusiasm to a pot which was already well and truly bubbling with anticipation.

Perth played host to the opening show of the Gunners’ first Australian tour in almost 15 years and for most fans it would have been their first live look at the band.

Old mates Rose Tattoo and former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach took the stage first and did what they do best – rock.

When he finally took to the stage, Axl Rose showed that although he might not be so thin and these days sports cornrows, there is still something totally charismatic and even enigmatic about the 45-year-old Guns N’ Roses singer.

This really was his show and from the first song he prowled, he danced and held the crowd in his hand all night.

GNR roared through Appetite for Destruction including the rock sentinels Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child of Mine, two songs with the most teasing guitar riffs of all time.

Axl was let down by the mix, which left his vocals only just audible in places. But when the music was finally turned down for songs like Patience, November Rain (featuring Axl on piano) and the cover-made-his-own, Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door you could actually hear his voice.

It was a spirited show, but I couldn’t help but wish I’d seen Guns N’ Roses in their original line-up heyday in some seedy LA dive. It would have been chaotic magic.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?Men...ContentID=31073

Axl, burly? Do I HAVE to show the pic from last year AGAIN?! lol

His voice, btw, is in amazing shape now, compared to the UYI years, when it was over-raspy and kinda annoying (see studio DDM, KOHD). But, overall, this review was decent.

Ha...Fortus superior to Ron? Good one Jay Hanna.

yes, FAR superior. Have you seen the new band? Did you go to a gig?

I did. Ron isn't even close of Richard. Take a scale, Richard =10, Ron = 5 at his very best. It's not the same world dude...

If Fortus had been in the band back in the days, he would have been a Guitar hero. Mark my words.

I think he is the best Rock Guitar Player in the world as we speak now. I don't see anyone superior to him, neither The Edge (U2), nor frusiente, not even Slash (at least not in 2007). He is very, very above.

As the journalist said, It's just a shame he has to "share" so much of his parts, let him have the role of Slash and he will conquier the world.

Robin and Ron, as much as I like them, don't have the talent of Richard. It's not even questionable. Go see the band and you will see it by yourself.

Edited by rockstar81

Its weird, i know Jay, she used to go out with couple of my mates, havent seen her for a while though. Shes right about the sound, in knockin on heavens door u couldnt even hear axl. I cannot understand how pople didnt enjoy the gig though and sayig bein blowwn out the dome was the best thing that happened all night, although that was cool. I thought the show was amazing.

I did. Ron isn't even close of Richard. Take a scale, Richard =10, Ron = 5 at his very best. It's not the same world dude...

LOL.

No offense dude, but Ron is regarded as a virtuoso for a reason. Richard's technical skill pales in comparison to Ron's chops. If you prefer Fortus' style/musicianship, then fine - but to call him a better or more talented guitarist is moronic.

rock3

Bon is the greatest rocker of all time!

Bon Lives!

Bon is the greatest frontman of all time. No doubt. Axl to my mind is the greatest alive. I am so happy and pleased that they remembered. I wonder if any of the band visited Bon's grave which is a regularly visited tourist spot in Fremantle and a place high up on my own list of places to visit. I wish someone would put up a You Tube video of the dedication. Very cool of Axl to do this. Very Very cool.

rock3

Bon is the greatest rocker of all time!

Bon Lives!

Bon is the greatest frontman of all time. No doubt. Axl to my mind is the greatest alive. I am so happy and pleased that they remembered. I wonder if any of the band visited Bon's grave which is a regularly visited tourist spot in Fremantle and a place high up on my own list of places to visit. I wish someone would put up a You Tube video of the dedication. Very cool of Axl to do this. Very Very cool.

apparantly they did

More roses than guns

Jay Hanna, STM music editor

June 10, 2007 10:00pm

OLD rockers don't die, they just get more sincere. Axl Rose may be missing his original bandmates and his explosive energy, but he still knows how to have fun.

Guns N' Roses

Burswood Dome

Sun, June 10

Review by Jay Hanna, STM Music Editor

My, my Axl, how things have changed. It was almost bang on 11 o'clock when that familiar other-worldy wail came bouncing across the darkness. "Do you know where the f**k you are?". Well yes, but did Guns N' Roses know what time it was? With a reputation for being notoriously late, perhaps Axl Rose and his band of seven were trying to get off on the right foot as they kicked off the Australian leg of their Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Flanked by a pair of guitarists that looked alarmingly like Rose's former band mates Slash and Izzy Stradlin, the corn-rowed rocker got the show underway with notorious party-starter "Welcome To The Jungle". As fire shot to the heavens the 45-year-old singer proved he still had those serpent-like moves slithering his hips and inviting the crowd to "feel my, my, my serpentine."

A far cry from the bike pant-sporting, bandanna-wearing firecracker that shook the rock world to it's foundations in the 80s and early 90s, Axl Rose circa 2007 is a far more low-key character. His once explosive energy has subsided somewhat and the stage set-up has been stripped back accordingly. Gone are the huge ramps and abundance of space to run around. The wardrobe has changed too with Rose sporting some stylishly cut jeans, a black leather jacket and dark sunglasses. His once slender frame, now a hell of a lot more burly.

Still Rose's desire to entertain hasn't changed and he certainly seemed to be having fun as the band reeled of a list of classics, "It's So Easy", "Mr Brownstone" and "Live And Let Die". Four songs in Rose breathlessly addressed the sea of black t-shirts. "You sure know how to make people feel welcome," he drawled. That was it? No abuse. No swearing. No tantrums. It was almost hard to imagine that this genial figure was the same temperamental rock star who is famed for both his on-stage and off-stage tantrums. It was Rose minus attitude.

It wasn't as if Rose didn't have reason to vent a little anger. As usual the sound quality at Burswood Dome was beyond appalling. Teamed with an abominable sound mix it ruined many moments. In particular "You Could Be Mine" and new songs like "Better" sounded muddy, with the vocals barely audible over the wash of guitars and floor-pounding drums. It was hard to tell just how good Rose sounds these days. He certainly doesn't have the range he once had and at times his high notes sounded almost comical. Racing around the stage certainly didn't help matters and Rose delivered a far better vocal performance when sitting at his piano for "November Rain".

While Rose did his best, there was no doubt many were unfavourably comparing the show to the sensational prospect of seeing Guns N' Roses at their peak. In particular the absence of charismatic guitar legend Slash was sorely felt and the most competent replacement, Richard Fortus, had to share those killer guitar riffs with far two far inferior guitarists. At one stage Rose stalked on stage ahead of the rest of the band and jokingly asked "where did my band go?". Unfortunately they left a long time ago....

There were plenty that left early, but when you consider the show spanned more than two hours wrapping up a little after 1am, that is too be expected. Still it cost them two of the night's highlights "Nightrain" and show stopper "Paradise City".

As ticket tape shot into the air, Rose and his band stepped on stage for a bow. Taking the microphone Rose acknowledged that people questioned his sincerity "for doing this" but as he earnestly thanked the crowd for their reception he sounded 100 per cent genuine.

Debate began raging as soon as we were spat out of the Dome with one unhappy punter claiming the sensation of being forcefully blown from the building was: "the best part of the night". No doubt there will be many mixed opinions and debate will continue for years to come, but while Guns N' Roses are no longer the band they once were, musically or physically, there is no denying that in his hey day Axl Rose was one of the best rock frontmen ever. Therefore to see him live is to see a living legend in action. It's just a shame that things have to change.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...5005368,00.html

Fucking Critics.. :fuckyou:

LOL.

No offense dude, but Ron is regarded as a virtuoso for a reason. Richard's technical skill pales in comparison to Ron's chops. If you prefer Fortus' style/musicianship, then fine - but to call him a better or more talented guitarist is moronic.

yeah...anyone who realizes anything about musical talent rather than just spewing crap...knows that Ron is a technically better guitarist...his riffs are SO much cleaner than Dick's or if thats not enough for you, they are usually faster and more accurate as well, Dick's style is quite...meshed, for lack of a better word...and thats fine..its not a bad thing either....its just unique. both guitarists are great. they just have different styles.

'Mocked' and 'A Long Goodbye' are coming....

At one stage Rose stalked on stage ahead of the rest of the band and jokingly asked "where did my band go?". Unfortunately they left a long time ago....

Lol!

Unfortunately this review was all too close to reality.

Seeing Gn'R these days is all about seeing (legend) Axl Rose, and little more..

(will he be here.. will he arrive.. how late will he be.. will he rant.. or storm off stage.. :D )

Edited by dobadog

LOL.

Agreed.

Where can pics of this show be seen? I cant seem to find them anywhere....mainly Axl.

Some say he's burly (he looked 'burly' in NZ), and someone stated should they post pics of him 'AGAIN', suggesting he's not burly.

God , I feel so bad being so concerned with his weight.....Why is it so intriguing?

Anyways --- pics, please??