Gunsnroses.com update! Pure decadence Down Under

Alpachiris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl shared a tale of an all-night tequila marathon in Mexico that brought laughter and cheers from the fans.

Backstage last night:

AXL: Man, I'm not sure if my joke about the tequila binge went over well. What did you think, Del?

DEL: Oh, man, Axl, it was awesome! Everybody loved it! You were funnier than Rodney Dangerfield on crack.

AXL: Really?

DEL: Definitely! Man, everyone was laughing and cheering! All the fans!

AXL: I'm not so sure... the reaction wasn't that strong...

[Axl leaves; Del pauses, strokes his chin hair; suddenly, a lightbulb appears over his head. He runs to the computer, types up a "News Update" for the official site]

NEXT MORNING

[Axl is eating breakfast; Del is in his underwear]

AXL: Wow, Del! Look at this! The main article on the Guns N' Roses website is saying how much people loved my joke!

DEL: See, I told you! Everyone laughed and cheered! It went over better than a Rosie O'Donnell eating marathon at Dunk'n Donuts.

AXL: I wonder who's writing all these website updates, anyway...

DEL: Hmm, I dunno... hey, what's that! Look! Out there!

[Axl looks out the window; Del runs away like this: :confused2: ]

Backstage last night:

AXL: Man, I'm not sure if my joke about the tequila binge went over well. What did you think, Del?

DEL: Oh, man, Axl, it was awesome! Everybody loved it! You were funnier than Rodney Dangerfield on crack.

[Axl leaves; Del pauses, strokes his chin hair; suddenly, a lightbulb appears over his head. He runs to the computer, types up a "News Update" for the official site]

NEXT MORNING

AXL: Wow, Del! Look at this! The main article on the Guns N' Roses website is saying how much people loved my joke!

DEL: See, I told you! Everyone laughed and cheered! It went over better than a Rosie O'Donnell eating marathon at Dunk'n Donuts.

[Axl looks out the window; Del runs away like this: ]

BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Absolutely brilliant!!!

"Guns N' Roses Shock Themselves By Releasing An Album".

Bubbles, who's been treating Axl's mental problems with a radical new technique called "Puppet Therapy", has finally brought democracy to Guns N' Roses fans at long last. Bubbles and his puppet Conky have managed to give Axl enough confidence to release the decade in the making album "Chinese Democracy". The general public, who for years has thought that everybody surrounding GnR are just a bunch of puppets, would have never guessed that all Axl needed this whole time was a little therapy from an actual puppet. We are pleased to announce a release date of September 11, 2007. Die Hard fans will also be pleased to know that Conky is working on getting Axl to change the setlist he's been playing since 2002. In closing we hope to see you all in 2008.

www.gunsnroses.com

Dude, you're not funny. The situation is funny, but you're not.

Axl shared a tale of an all-night tequila marathon in Mexico that brought laughter and cheers from the fans.

Backstage last night:

NEXT MORNING

[Axl looks out the window; Del runs away like this: :confused2: ]

Genius...

Y'know, you're probably not far wrong, ER.

Axl seemed kinda nervous when he started the story about the tequila. And he seemed in a really good mood when the crowd erupted with laughs and cheers. Whoever wrote that article on gnr.com might have wanted to reassure him even further.

While it was a pretty funny story, I think the reaction was really more about the crowd showing their appreciation in Axl actually communicating with us. He's got such a natural charisma and charm, it was great to see him use it.

There was nothing but love for Axl in the crowd all night, imo. I think Axl picked up on that, and he seemed really sincere when he came back out on the stage after Paradise City to thank the crowd.

Hopefully he'll eventually realise that not everyone is 'out ta get him' and be willing to share his music with us again.

Axl seemed kinda nervous when he started the story about the tequila. And he seemed in a really good mood when the crowd erupted with laughs and cheers. Whoever wrote that article on gnr.com might have wanted to reassure him even further.

While it was a pretty funny story, I think the reaction was really more about the crowd showing their appreciation in Axl actually communicating with us. He's got such a natural charisma and charm, it was great to see him use it.

There was nothing but love for Axl in the crowd all night, imo. I think Axl picked up on that, and he seemed really sincere when he came back out on the stage after Paradise City to thank the crowd.

Hopefully he'll eventually realise that not everyone is 'out ta get him' and be willing to share his music with us again.

That's the side of Axl I've missed most on the past couple tours - part of the reason he used to be such a great, great frontman was his crowd interaction, and it seemed like he gave such little of it. The very little interaction he did offer seemed all routine - e.g. the "I sing one, you sing one" for KOHD - so if it's true that he's starting to interact more with the crowds, I'm all for it. It doesn't mean he has to go off on immature rants, but just talking to the crowds in between songs and telling anecdotes like he used to creates a very personal atmosphere and is much better than just singing a couple songs, disappering off stage, then reappearing for a few more songs and repeating this process throughout the night.

That's the side of Axl I've missed most on the past couple tours - part of the reason he used to be such a great, great frontman was his crowd interaction, and it seemed like he gave such little of it. The very little interaction he did offer seemed all routine - e.g. the "I sing one, you sing one" for KOHD - so if it's true that he's starting to interact more with the crowds, I'm all for it. It doesn't mean he has to go off on immature rants, but just talking to the crowds in between songs and telling anecdotes like he used to creates a very personal atmosphere and is much better than just singing a couple songs, disappering off stage, then reappearing for a few more songs and repeating this process throughout the night.

Used to be? He's still a great frontman, as far as I'm concerned. :tongue2:

It's hard to rate him as a frontman now because the main thing I think when I'm watching him these days is: It's Axl Rose! He's a legend. A rock icon. Having been a GN'R fan during the "silent" era, and becoming obsessive over the band's history and watching so many old performances, it's amazing seeing him up on stage again. You can't take your eyes off of him. He could be sitting in a rocking chair singing Dr. Seuss and people would still be in awe because it's Axl Rose.

But if he hadn't been a rock icon in his past, and his 2006 comeback was his FIRST foray into music, I don't think I'd feel the same. His stage presence these days isn't as strong, and it's not just an age thing. The charisma and earnestness that made me consider him a great frontman has disappeared. I think he's a good frontman now, but it's nothing compared to how he used to be. People use hyperbole and claim his voice is "better than ever" - naw. Anyone who's listened to live shows from the early '90s knows his voice is pretty weak in comparison. His falsetto and higher register vocals are better than ever, so on songs like Sailing from Wembley, he sounds fantastic. But ask him to extend the deep rasp like he used to do every night on Sweet Child and he wouldn't be able to. Those opening screams these days on Welcome to the Jungle are long shrieks, but he used to let out deep raspy banshee wails (VMAs '88). But, again, that's part of what makes it so amazing seeing him perform these days. His voice represents all the excess and self-destruction of that era. He has kind of ruined his voice and that thin off-key rasp is appealing because you're always reminded of all the shit the guy has been through over the years: the epitome of rock n' roll. I still love watching him perform simply because it's a wonder to behold and you know that you're watching a rock god. Like I said, he could just sit around on stage for two hours singing non-GN'R songs and it would still be awesome just because of who he is, what he represents for so many people, and because of the whole nostalgia factor.

Edited by Estranged Reality

It's hard to rate him as a frontman now because the main thing I think when I'm watching him these days is: It's Axl Rose! He's a legend. A rock icon. Having been a GN'R fan during the "silent" era, and becoming obsessive over the band's history and watching so many old performances, it's amazing seeing him up on stage again. You can't take your eyes off of him. He could be sitting in a rocking chair singing Dr. Seuss and people would still be in awe because it's Axl Rose.

But if he hadn't been a rock icon in his past, and his 2006 comeback was his FIRST foray into music, I don't think I'd feel the same. His stage presence these days isn't as strong, and it's not just an age thing. The charisma and earnestness that made me consider him a great frontman has disappeared. I think he's a good frontman now, but it's nothing compared to how he used to be. However, I still love watching him perform simply because it's a wonder to behold and you know that you're watching a rock god. Like I said, he could just sit around on stage for two hours singing non-GN'R songs and it would still be awesome just because of who he is, what he represents for so many people, and because of the whole nostalgia factor.

Hmmm, I understand where your coming from. He has slowed down the running, he doesn't wear biker shorts, his voice isn't over-raspy, fine. Let's see what he HAS done on stage, 2006-2007: Not anorexic looking, kinda muscular now, in better shape, some would say. His voice sounds healthy, you can actually hear what's he saying now, where as then (UYI tour), his voice sometimes flailed and sounded a little like he was pulling his throat out or something. He still runs around and dances and jumps and all that jazz, which takes a toll on a man's body, especially now at 45. But, I agree with you on the whole being a fan during the 'silent' era of GN'R, and seeing Axl for the first time now, then seeing him back then. Much different. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse; but to me, he's still a great frontman. Last year proved it, and again these latest reviews tell it.

But if he hadn't been a rock icon in his past, and his 2006 comeback was his FIRST foray into music, I don't think I'd feel the same. His stage presence these days isn't as strong, and it's not just an age thing. The charisma and earnestness that made me consider him a great frontman has disappeared. I think he's a good frontman now, but it's nothing compared to how he used to be. However, I still love watching him perform simply because it's a wonder to behold and you know that you're watching a rock god. Like I said, he could just sit around on stage for two hours singing non-GN'R songs and it would still be awesome just because of who he is, what he represents for so many people, and because of the whole nostalgia factor.

Hmmm, I understand where your coming from. He has slowed down the running, he doesn't wear biker shorts, his voice isn't over-raspy, fine. Let's see what he HAS done on stage, 2006-2007: Not anorexic looking, kinda muscular now, in better shape, some would say. His voice sounds healthy, you can actually hear what's he saying now, where as then (UYI tour), his voice sometimes flailed and sounded a little like he was pulling his throat out or something. He still runs around and dances and jumps and all that jazz, which takes a toll on a man's body, especially now at 45. But, I agree with you on the whole being a fan during the 'silent' era of GN'R, and seeing Axl for the first time now, then seeing him back then. Much different. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse; but to me, he's still a great frontman. Last year proved it, and again these latest reviews tell it.

I think he'll always be a great frontman. He isn't as good a performer, I suppose, as he used to be; but being a great frontman - having a natural charisma, a commanding presence - is something no rock star could ever lose. Axl is a true rock star, the epitome of the Rock Star. He goes out on stage and because of who he is and what he stands for and all the memories his very presence conjures up for people, he is instantly impossible to just shrug off. It's a rare thing - only a few musicians really have that true "epic" presence (most of them more accomplished than Axl, which is a compliment to Axl that he's already in the same league as they are).

I think he'll always be a great frontman. He isn't as good a performer, I suppose, as he used to be; but being a great frontman - having a natural charisma, a commanding presence - is something no rock star could ever lose. Axl is a true rock star, the epitome of the Rock Star. He goes out on stage and because of who he is and what he stands for and all the memories his very presence conjures up for people, he is instantly impossible to just shrug off. It's a rare thing - only a few musicians really have that true "epic" presence (most of them more accomplished than Axl, which is a compliment to Axl that he's already in the same league as they are).

Well said, as always, John. Great convo, bro. :)

If we make fun of these updates, we less likely to get more. We should want Axl and the band to get more comfortable giving updates.

I'm glad the shows sold well in Australia. I'm glad Axl's fans down there got to see him perform. It's always a lot of fun. Now hopefully he'll get around to finishing that album.

HAHAHA! You're so funny! :rofl-lol: