"Raw Power" - the greatest rock album of all-time?

Estranged Reality

B000002AP1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This album is almost flawless. The only tracks that can become a bit tiresome after a while are "Shake Appeal," "Death Trip" and "Penetration" - mainly because of Iggy's sexual vocals which can be a bit distressing if you're not in the right mood.

But "Search and Destroy," "Gimme Danger," "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" and "I Need Somebody" are amazing tracks.

Most people always cite "Fun House" as The Stooges' best, but I have to say, this is my personal favorite of the three (I'm not counting the awful "Weirdness" album!).

I usually only make topics about specific albums when I really think they're special - this one definitely is. If you haven't heard it, don't wait any longer. Go get it/download it/whatever, but just listen to it. It's the grandfather of sleaze rock.

Edited by Estranged Reality

This was the first Stooges album I ever owned. Penetration has always been my favourite song off the album. Search & Destroy is a close second. I'm going to go and listen to it now, actually, haha.

Anyway, it's a classic album, even though I do prefer Fun House. :P Fun House is my favourite album of all time.

It's a shame that the Stooges don't perform this album live. :(

It's pretty good but if it came down to having to listen to this or Physical Graffiti for the rest of my life, I'd be choosing the later.

See, Led Zeppelin has never done all that much for me. I like their work, but I don't love it. Most of the songs I really like are the ones that were sort of well-received but not necessarily considered their very best, like Communication Breakdown or D'Yer Maker. The really big hits like Immigrant Song and such aren't as catchy to me.

Don't you mean greatest member?

Anyway, it is a reason for my nickname, this album is pure brilliance.

This album by the godfathers of punk is pure magic. I can without doubt

say that this is one of the 5 best albums ever recorded.

It's pretty good but if it came down to having to listen to this or Physical Graffiti for the rest of my life, I'd be choosing the later.

See, Led Zeppelin has never done all that much for me. I like their work, but I don't love it. Most of the songs I really like are the ones that were sort of well-received but not necessarily considered their very best, like Communication Breakdown or D'Yer Maker. The really big hits like Immigrant Song and such aren't as catchy to me.

Fair enough, kinda why I like Physical Graffiti as a body of work its untouchable and most casual fans can only name Kashmir off it.

There are probably a handful of other albums I'd rather listen to forever over Raw Power, might ven include Appetite for Destuction in that Handful, and why not chuck in Whats Going On, Are you Experienced and Lodnon Calling.

Full respect for plugging an unsung album, which for me is probably the best in its genre to come out of the USA.

Raw power is good but doesn't capture the feeling of the stooges because the bringing in of williamson and making ron play bass. The best Stooges album is easily "Fun House". I've noticed live, the band seems to enjoy playing that album the most as well. If you haven't seen the stooges live, you are missing out on one of the greatest shows ever.

Guest knerken

Great, great album. I hated it the first time I heard it, but it has grown on me and now I can't get enough of it :D

Can't wait to see Stooges in Fredrikstad in September.

I don't know if any Stooges qualifies as the best rock album of all time.

I'm a huge fan...have been for 30+ years,but I honestly think there are better albums than anything the Stooges did.

However...with the passing of time,it's become abundantly clear how influential the Stooges were (even if an indirect manner).They were SO ahead of their time that the masses were laughing at them.

It took a while for those not in the know to catch up...sadly,at the band's expense (or was it??...was this band MEANT for mainstream success?).

I love all the Stooges albums equally (perhaps for different reasons)...and I think the Weirdness is pretty damn cool.It's infinitely better than the bulk of new junk I hear out there right now.