Recommend New Music

Raw Power

We were discussing this in another thread, maybe we need one of these. :)

And please guys, try to use more than 5 seconds in this thread. Don't just post a name of the band

you'd like to recommend. Tell just alittlebit about them, similar bands etc. This could be a great thread

if people just spent some time on each post. :)

I'll go first.

Gluecifer

gluecifer__Royally__168838a.jpg

Glucifer is a band from Oslo, Norway, which sadly splitted up in 2005. I had the pleasure to be on their last concert

in Bergen, Norway. Which was absolutely great, this band was way better live than most other bands. They put on a hell

of a great show.

Gluecifer, together with Turbonegro, Backyard Babies and Hellacopters, are four bands from Scandinavia who sort of

created their own genre, Scandirock, someone may referr to it as "cock rock." Gluecifer mainly plays just pure high energy

rock'n'roll. If you like bands like bands like Nashville Pussy, Turbonegro, Hellacopters etc you have to check these guys out.

Discography:

* Ridin' The Tiger (1997)

* Soaring With The Eagles At Night – To Rise With The Pigs In The Morning (1998)

* Tender Is The Savage (2000)

* Basement Apes (2002)

* Automatic Thrill (2004)

Where Should I Start?

I would probably start with their biggest hits, Easy Living, a song from the Basement Apes album. I can't really decide which album to buy first of Basement Apes or Automatic Thrill. Other songs to check out is Automatic Thrill, Powertools and Piss, Shotgun Seat, Desolated City and Car Full of Stash.

Edited by Raw Power

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick Of It All:

soia.jpg

Sick Of It All are an American band from the New York hardcore scene. Formed in 1984 and still recording although missing two original members. The band was formed by brothers Lou and Pete Koller along with Armand Majidi and Rich Capriano. Sick Of It All's fast and agressive music and lyrics won them fans with an alternative audience in the 80's who were feeling disenfranchized and detattched from the stadium selling-out rock bands who claimed the mainstream. For fans of Black Flag, Agnostic Front, Terror and Comeback Kid.

Discography:

-Blood Sweat and No Tears

-Just Look Around

-Scratch The Surface

-Built To Last

-Call To Arms

-Yours Truely

-Life On The Ropes

-Death To Tyrants

-Sick Of It All

-We Stand Alone

-Potential For A Fall

-Relentless

-Live In A World Full Of Hate

-Live In A Dive

Where To Start:

I'd recommend either getting Scratch The Surface or Death To Tyrants. Alternatively check if they're gigging anywhere near you and get your ass there! It will be the experiance of your LIFE. The energy is just amazing. Their top song to check out for me would probably have to be.. Who Sets The Rules.

Excellent idea for a thread Raw Power. I'll post a few more recommendations later :)

xDSGx

Edited by DopeSickGirl

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

A band I really love from my hometown here in Sweden.

The Grand Trick

They are a band from Linköping, Sweden. They play 70-influenced rock. Right now, they've just changed the singer. The new singer are much better then the last one (in my opinion).

If you like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, you'll love these :)

They've released 1 album, and 2 mini-cd's.

The first one was called The first trick and contains 4 songs.

The second was The Decadent Session. This was the album. It contains 9 songs.

The last was a mini cd with their last released song She's on the run, which you can hear on their MySpace ( http://www.myspace.com/thegrandtrick ).

This is one of my favoritesong by them. Never Felt So Good: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i8rqfl

Homesites: http://www.thegrandtrick.com , http://www.myspace.com/thegrandtrick

shes_on_the_run_196px.jpg

The cover for She's On The Run

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Great idea, it would be cool if everyone posted pictures and shit.

Alice in Chains

225735.jpg

Alice in Chains is a grungeband from Seattle that was formed in 1987 and reached commercial success with their second studio album Dirt in 1992.

The band was known for their morbid lyrics that often was about singer Layne Staley's heroin addiction.

Alice in Chains, together with Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden is considered to be the "big four" to come out of the Seattle-scene, or the grunge movement if you like.

Members:

Jerry Cantrell

Sean Kinney

Mike Inez

William DuVall

Former members:

Layne Staley

Mike Starr

Selected discography:

Studio Albums:

Facelift

Dirt

Alice in Chains

EPs:

Sap

Jar of Flies

Live Albums:

MTV Unplugged

Live

Compilation albums:

Nothing Safe: Best of the Box

Music Bank

Greatest Hits

Edited by Lithium

Big Business

95435296_c260031c40.jpg

Big Business is a stoner rock band from Seattles, USA. The band has only two members,

Jarred Warren (Bass, Vocals), and Coady Willis (Drums). It's really amazing to listen to these guys,

I got actually shocked the first time I found out it was only two members of this band,

even though you can hear that they have added small parts with extra instruments on the records like guitar.

But these mainly you'll only hear the bass and drums. This band has a very deep, low sound which characterizes the genre.

Most similar bands drums and bass has a tendency to sound machine-like, but this band grooves like hell.

Discography:

*Head For The Shallow (2005)

*Here Comes The Waterworks (2007)

Where To Start:

I started with buying their second album Here Comes The Waterworks, which i btw think is alittle touch better than their debut. It gets me going every time I put it in my player. Check out tunes like "Hands Up," "Shield," and "Another Beautiful Day in the Pacific Northwest"

Seether:

Seether-band.jpg

Seether are a post-grunge band from South Africa. A pretty dark sounding band with some amazingly heavy riffs in places and some heartbreakingly beautiful acoustic songs in others. Although best known for the hit 'Broken' with Amy Lee of Evanescence(however the fuck you spell it) they are an amazing band in there own right with some amazing songs both lyrically and musically. Formed under the name Saron gas by Shawn Morgan.

Discography:

-Fragile (as Saron Gas)

-Disclaimer

-Disclaimer II

-Karma And Effect

-One Cold Night

Where To Start:

I personally would recommend you get the Disclaimer II album to begin with. Its utterly breathtaking and gives a good diverse impression of Seether as a band.

xDSGx

A band I really love from my hometown here in Sweden.

The Grand Trick

They are a band from Linköping, Sweden. They play 70-influenced rock. Right now, they've just changed the singer. The new singer are much better then the last one (in my opinion).

If you like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, you'll love these :)

They've released 1 album, and 2 mini-cd's.

The first one was called The first trick and contains 4 songs.

The second was The Decadent Session. This was the album. It contains 9 songs.

The last was a mini cd with their last released song She's on the run, which you can hear on their MySpace ( http://www.myspace.com/thegrandtrick ).

This is one of my favoritesong by them. Never Felt So Good: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i8rqfl

Homesites: http://www.thegrandtrick.com , http://www.myspace.com/thegrandtrick

shes_on_the_run_196px.jpg

The cover for She's On The Run

These guys are fuckin' good!!

Great thread! :heart:

And yeah, Alice In Chains is a great band.

Blind Melon

229220kt0.jpg

Blind Melon is an alternative rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1989, influenced by bands such as Led Zeppelin and the Grateful Dead, rather than bands in the grunge scene such as Nirvana and Soundgarden. The band was signed by Capitol Records in 1991, and released their self-titled debut in September 1992, but the album initially did not sell too well, until the video for the song No Rain was released in 1993, launching it to multi-platinum. Their second album, Soup, released in 1995, shortly before the death of singer Shannon Hoon, and did not do as well, as the album is much darker. The tragic death of Hoon effectively ended the band, until they reformed in 2006, having Travis Warren as singer. A new record is currently being produced.

Members:

Travis Warren (from 2006)

Brad Smith

Rogers Stevens

Chris Thorn

Glen Graham

Former members:

Shannon Hoon (deceased)

Selected discography:

Studio Albums:

Blind Melon

Soup

Live Albums:

Live At The Palace

Compilation albums:

Nico (compilation of studio recordings)

Classic Masters: Blind Melon

The Best of Blind Melon

Edited by LCG

The Hellacopters

hellacopters370.jpg

* Nicke Royale (Anders Niklas Andersson) - Lead vocals & guitars

* Strings (Jens Robert Dahlqvist) - Guitars

* Kenny (Kenny Håkansson) - Bass

* Robban (Matz Robert Eriksson) - Drums & vocals

* Boba Fett (Anders Lindström) - Piano

The Hellacopters is a Swedish band and a part of the Scandirock genre, which I mentioned earlier in this thread.

The Hellacopters takes the 60's and 70's pre-punk/garage- rock music to another level.

High Energy music, with great guitarsolos and catchy chourus' makes this band to one of my favourites.

If you like bands like The Stooges and MC5 you have to listen to these guys. Do you like the sound of a Mosrite guitar? Chekc them out.

Discography:

* 2005 - Rock & Roll Is Dead

* 2002 - By the Grace of God

* 2000 - High Visibility

* 1999 - Grande Rock

* 1997 - Payin' the Dues

* 1996 - Supershitty to the Max!

Where to Start:

My favourite album by these guys are without a doubt the High Visibility album. It's just amazing. Check out tunes like "Hopeless Case Of A Kid In Denial," "Toys & Flavours," "By The Grace Of God" and "Carry Me Home." You won't be

dissapointed.

Deicide

Deicide is an American death metal band. The word "deicide" means "the killing of deities" or, in the Christian era "the killing of God or Jesus Christ". The word can also mean "one who kills God". The band has sold close to 500,000 releases (taking into consideration both CD and VHS sales) in the USA since the SoundScan, era making them one of the best selling death metal bands of all time. Their albums Deicide and Legion are also ranked second and third place in best-selling death metal albums of that era.

deicide_biopic.jpg

Members

* Glen Benton - Vocals and bass (1987-)

* Steve Asheim - Drums (1987-)

* Jack Owen - Guitar (2004-)

Former members

* Ralph Santolla - Guitar (2005-2007)

* Brian Hoffman - Guitar (1987-2004)

* Eric Hoffman - Guitar (1987-2004)

* Dave Suzuki - Guitar (2004-2005)

Discography

* Deicide (1990)

* Legion (1992)

* Amon, Feasting the Beast (1993)

* Once upon the Cross (1995)

* Serpents of the Light (1997)

* Deicide: Remastered (1998)

* When Satan Lives (1998, live album recorded at the House of Blues in Chicago, Illinois)

* Insineratehymn (2000)

* In Torment in Hell (2001)

* The Best of Deicide (2003)

* Scars of the Crucifix (2004)

* The Stench of Redemption (2006)

* Doomsday L.A Live - E.P (2006)

Where to Start:

I'd say, go for The Stench of Redemption, its musically a great album, Riffs that will kick you in the nuts, leads with absolutely immense melody, drums that will bust your ass open & Glen is sounding as good as gold, although most of you, would greatly disagree and call him a cookie monster.

After that, get Once upon the Cross & Deicide.

Elan

normal_004.jpg

Elan Sara DeFan is a Mexican singer/songwriter. She has been influenced by many great artists like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin. She was the first female Latin American artist to begin her career with an album completely in English. On her debut album she had guest stars like Slash and David Immergluck from the Counting Crows. "Elan could very well end up being the female equivalent of Neil Young."

Discography:

- Street Child (2003)

- London Express (2005)

- What Can Be Done At This Point (2007)

Where Should I Start?

Street Child is one of my favourite albums ever made. It's also her most versatile album. From the poppy "Midnight", the emotional ballad "Time", the catchy "They Came To The City" to the absolute highlight of the album "Street Child" (with one of Slash's best solos).

street_child_sm.jpg

Turbonegro

pic_turbonegro_legsapart_resized.jpg

* Vocals: Hank Von Helvete aka Hertugen aka Hertis aka Hank from Hell (real name Hans Erik Dyvik Husby)

* Bass/drums: Happy-Tom aka Tom of Norway aka Bongo (real name Thomas Seltzer)

* Lead guitar: Euroboy (real name Knut Schreiner)

* Rhythm guitar: Rune Rebellion aka Rune Protrude aka Brune (real name Rune Grønn)

* Keyboards/percussion/guitar: Pål Pot Pamparius aka L. Ron Bud aka Max (real name Pål Bottger Kjærnes)

* Drums: Chris Summers "King of Drummers" (real name Christer Engen)

Turbonegro is a Norwegian band who in reality has existed since 1989, with many different names, like Stierkampf, TRBNGR, before they finally ended up with the name Turbonegro. Turbonegro as we kinda started with Ass Cobra which was released in 1996, in 1997 the new guitarist Euroboy (Knut Schreiner) joined in. One year later they released the greatest norwegian album of all time, IMO, Apocalypse Dudes. In 1998 it seemed like Turbonegro was about the end their carrer. Hank Von Helvete(Hank Von Hell) was put into rehab because of herion addiction and the band didnt play before 4 years later. In 2002 the band did a ResErection tour, they played gigs at Rock Am Ring, Quart Festival and Hulstfred. Since then they have released 4 albums, and has a pretty well known name in Europe and The States.

This bands has got its influences from bands like Alice Cooper, Mötley Crüe, The Stooges, Ramones, Black Flag and Kiss.

If you listen to them you'll definitely notice the influence of these artists right away. Turbonegro claims to have created their

own genre, "Deathpunk."

Discography:

* Hot Cars and Spent Contraceptives (1992)

* Helta Skelta (1993)

* Never is Forever (1994)

* Ass Cobra (1996)

* Apocalypse Dudes (1998)

* Scandinavian Leather (2003)

* Party Animals (2005)

* Retox (2007)

Where To Start:

I would definitely start with their greatest album Apocalypse Dudes. Songs like "The Age of Pamparious," "Rendezvous with Anus," "Zillion Dollar Sadist," "Back To Dungaree High," and "Prince of The Rodeo" which is the reason Euroboy stayed in the band. He was suppose to be a step in, but after he made this song he became a fulltime member.

Then you'll have two ways to go, if you prefer punk like Black Flag you can check out their earlier stuff like Ass Cobra, Never is Forever, Hot Cars and Spent Contraceptives etc. If you like the more glam-punk-era you will like Apocalypse Dudes and later stuff best. Enjoy :)

the birthday party.

i cant be bothered to type out nick cave's prolific history, but if you are not familiar with nick cave you don't know what you're missing.

download - release the bats

sonnys burning

this band to me are total punk.

if the brashness of this band are'nt your thing, get into nick cave and the bad seeds ( a lot of more mellow songs) , and the new Grinderman.

basically - GET INTO NICK CAVE!

Edited by M_B

Guest knerken

You've got a VERY good taste in music Raw Power. Turbonegro, Hellacopters, Backyard Babies are my favourite bands together with Nirvana and Rancid.

Hardcore Superstar

news06079.jpg

*Vocals: Jocke Berg

*Guitars: Thomas Silver

*Bass: Martin Sandvick

*Drums: Adde Andreasson

Hardcore Superstar is a swedish hard rock/sleaze band with strong influences from bands like Mötley Crüe, Hanoi Rocks, Ramones, Alice Cooper etc.

They formed in 1997, released a few EPs and singles, officially debuted with the album Bad Sneakes and a Piña Colada in 2000 which contained several big hits in Sweden. They supported the album with tours in Europe and Japan, and played concerts with both AC/DC and Motörhead. 2001 and 2003 spawned the albums Thank You (For Lettining Us Be Ourselves) and No Regrets. With these albums they toured the US. When they came back from USA they had an official break .

In 2005 they came back together and released the album Hardcore Superstar which IMO is their best album. This album also contained big hits in Sweden, and was nominated for the Swedish Grammy.

Discography

*Bad Sneakers And A Piña Colada (2000)

*Thank You (For Letting Us Be Ourselves)(2001)

*No Regrets(2003)

*Hardcore Superstar (2005)

Where to start:

*Their latest album Hardcore Superstar is a great place to start. The songs Wild Boys, We Don't Celebrate Sundays, Kick On The Upperclass etc.

Edited by knerken