Recommend New Music

Raw Power

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOLFMOTHER

220px-Wolfmother_closeup.jpg

I seen these guys a few weeks ago on DIRECTV's exclusive "T101" channel (334),and

said :Damn these guys are pretty good! I was amazed to see the're only a 3 member group

but guitarist/vocalist ANDREW STOCKDALE , bass , keyboard , organ , synth man

CHRIS ROSS , and drummer , percussionist MYLES HESKETT sound like they have 6 in

their group! Stockdale's vocals let you know that one of their influences are definitely

Led Zepplin , he may sound more like Plant , than Plant himself! I also hear a little Sabbath , The Who , and they have a certain Pink Floyd taste , as they like to "wander" off song a little , so to speak.

They definitely bring me back to the 70s , with a fresh new sound. They are from Sydney , Austraila , and if you get DIRECTV , you can catch them later tonight at 9pm eastern time on T101 (channel #334)

Discography

"Wolfmother EP" 2004

"Wolfmother" 2005 (pictured)

wm_album.jpg

"Dimensions EP" 2006

WHERE TO START:

The full length album is great , and has almost all their songs on it. Make sure you get the CD that has the song "Love Train" on it , the full length album was released without it in some places , not sure where or why , but finding the one with all 13 songs is a plus , because Love Train is a great song.

Guest knerken

Fuck, DSG, I just checked out Sick Of It All on MySpace. What a great band! The song Uprising Nation is really amazing! I'm not really into hardcore, but this was really awesome. Thanks a lot :D

Fuck, DSG, I just checked out Sick Of It All on MySpace. What a great band! The song Uprising Nation is really amazing! I'm not really into hardcore, but this was really awesome. Thanks a lot :D

Yep!

They're from the golden age of hardcore! Before it was just decided how good a band was on whether they can yell and hit their instruments louder than the other bands in the scene - back when it was still awesome stuff!

Axl Rose Party

party%20hat.jpg

Formed in the ashes of Constantine Rose's former group, Axl Rose Party is a Quote Metal Band formed in Malibu, California around 1998. Consisting of an ever-changing line-up, the band has included members of Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails and Primus. The group has yet to release an album of original material to this day.

Members

:rofl-lol:

Discography

End of Days Soundtrack [1999]

Ghosts of Mars Soundtrack [2001]

Chinese Democracy BitTorrent [2007]

(The Actual) Chinese Democracy [2xxx]

Where Should I Start?

Classics like "Madagascar" and "Love Siege" are excellent places to start. As well as the BillBoard Sensation "Oh My God" featured on the "End of Days" Soundtrack.

THE BAND!

BandBrown.jpg

I've been listening to Music From Big Pink and their self-titled album and WOW. These guys blew me away. They're like Folk-Rock and I think were the backing band for Bob Dylan and other musicians. Notable songs - for me - are, THE WEIGHT and THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN. They have this pretty distinctive sound. Although most members are canadian, when I listen to their music I'd think they are from the South. They give me this very nostalgic feeling. I don't know, you have to listen to them. Both CD's I noted before are real good. Masterpieces to say the least

THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN

THE WEIGHT

:lol: That was great, basslikehot :lol:

Edited by swlabr

Comeback Kid:

ComebackKid.jpg

Comeback Kid are a hardcore/punk band from Winnipeg, Canada. The band was formed in late 2000 by Andrew Neufeld and Jeremy Hiebert who were both members of Figure Four. They were joined by their friends Scott Wade and Kyle Profetta, but CBK was originally intended only to be a side project. Their initial popularity was mainly due to word of mouth within the metalcore/hardcore scene. Another one I recommend to fans of Black Flag, etc.

Discography:

-Turn It Around

-Wake The Dead

-Broadcasting

http://www.myspace.com/comebackkid

Another one that may be of interest to you knerken!

If you check 'em out I recommend Partners In Crime, Bright Lights Keep Shining and The Trouble I Love. My three favourite CBK songs :)

xDSGx

But if you do like hardcore, you have to check out this band:

Silver

silver3web.jpg

Silver is a Norwegian (glam)-punk/hardcore band which released their debut album in 2004.

Before that they had won awards in Norway for best liveshow, they still are absolutely amazing live.

One of their singles on their debutalbum became quite a hit in Norway, "Angels Calling."

Since then they have developed into a more kinda hardcore band, and they've got a new drummer.

Their second album, which they released last year, "World Against World" was just insane... Hardcore as its best.

Discography:

*White Diary (2004)

*World Against World (2006)

Where to Start:

I think their second album is the best way to start, It's just amazing. The best songs from that album is probably "Homesick, "Dogs & Locusts" and "The Personal Decay." If you're more likely to the sound of punk/glam-punk rather than hardcore you may wanna start with their first album, you definitely wanna check it out anyway. Which is really a very good punk/glam-punk album. Check out tunes like "Intimate Cussing, "Funural Class One" and "The Emptiness."

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Raw Power

The Slackers:

Slackers-skaband.jpg

The Slackers are a New York ska band who formed in Brooklyn in 1991. Their sound is a mix of ska, rocksteady, reggae, garage rock and swing. Recommended for fans of bands like The Specials, Madness, Bob Marley and Dance Hall Crashers.

Discography:

-Better Late Than Never

-Redlight

-The Question

-Wasted Days

-The Slackers and Friends

-Close My Eyes

-An Afternoon in Dub

-Slackness

-Peculiar

Where To Start:

With this particular band its advisable to start at the beginning with Better Late Than Never. Its an amazing album with a wonder mix of tracks.

xDSGx

Edited by DopeSickGirl

Guest knerken

Thanks, DSG! What I heard on the myspace link you posted sounds awesome! Will definatley check out more from Comeback Kid!

While we're speaking of hardcore, you should check out norwegian JR Ewing.

373278816_l.jpg

They split up last year, but released three great albums since they formed in 1998: Calling In Dead(2000) Ride Paranoia(2003) and Malstroem2005)

Myspace

Silver as Raw Power posted is also amazing!

Edited by knerken

Already love JR Ewing! Had no idea they were Norwegian though, awesome band ^_^

What I heard of Silver on their myspace kicked ass too!

Another few decent hardcore bands around are Bane, Terror, Norma Jean and Ignite.

Although Ignite are more of an alt. punk band. Very unique sound!

xDSGx

707233746_l.jpg

He has an Op. Ivy top on!! :D!!

Oh also - anyone who's into punk would probably like Heideroosjes a dutch punk band that username(Ron) put me on to! They have an amazing sound and are totally energetic. I've got shedloads of their stuff.

Shedloads being an understatement as Ron has sent me everything they've ever recorded!

It means The Meadow Flowers I think, but I'm not sure. There songs are sung in a mix of English, Dutch and a few are in German I think. I'm not sure.

http://www.myspace.com/heideroosjes

Anyone wants to hear anything more hit me up and I'll upload some to somewhere or send it through MSN or something :)

xDSGx

Edited by DopeSickGirl

Motorpsycho

Motorpsycho4.jpg

Motorpsycho is a Norwegian rockband, which consist of Bent Sæther on bass and vocals and Hans Magnus «Snah» Ryan

on guitar and vocals. Live and on record they also use a drummer, since 2005 it hasnt been any regular guy.

Their music is very progressive. It contains influence from jazz, metal, punk, psychadelic rock etc. They have even

released a record where they play country, but under another bandname, "International Tussler Society."

Discography:

*Lobotomizer

*Soothing Songs for Ruth

*Demon Box

*Timothy's Monster

*Blissard

*Angels & Daemons At Play

*Trust Us

*Let Them Eat Cake

*Phanerothyme

*It's A Love Cult

*In The Fishtank

*Black Hole Blank Canvas

Where To Start:

Like almost every other progressive rockbands, its difficult to mention single songs. I would definitely start out with "Timothy's Monster" or "Demon Box". It's without a doubt two of the best Norwegian albums ever. Their newest album, "Black Hole/Black Canvas" is also worth a listening.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Hey Raw Power. If you like Hellacopters song "sent en lördagkväll" you better check out the original from Nationalteatern. That is much better.

Dope

DopeLifeEra.jpg

Unlike many of the popular bands from the 1990s, Dope derived their sound from influences taken from hard rock bands Guns N' Roses, Kiss and Mötley Crüe and fused that with the sound of Industrial rock acts which had made waves earlier in the decade, such as; Nine Inch Nails, Ministry as well as Industrial music act Skinny Puppy.

Current members

Edsel Dope (Vocals, Rythm Guitar, Keyboard, Samples)

Virus (Lead Guitar, Samples, Backin' Vocals)

Brix Milner (Bass, Keys)

Angel (Drums)

Albums

Felons and Revolutionaries 1999

Life 2001

Group Therapy 2003

American Apathy 2005

Myspace for song listening:

http://www.myspace.com/dope

Dishwalla

800px-Dishwalla_band_photo.jpg

Dishwalla is an alternative rock band from Santa Barbara, California. The band's name comes from an Indian term for a person who uses illegal equipment to descramble a television satellite signal and share it with their neighborhood.

1995 Pet Your Friends

1998 And You Think You Know What Life's About

2002 Opaline

2003 Live... Greetings From The Flow State

2005 Dishwalla Orphanage

They are considered a one hit wonder for "Counting Blue Cars" but i think they are a hidden gem.

Not the "hard" sound but rather a more ballad like sound. Typifies 1990s alternative rock scene.

Guest knerken

Hey, Raw Power. My band is actually supporting Motorpsycho when they're playing in Fredrikstad this summer. Just had to mention it :P

Hey, Raw Power. My band is actually supporting Motorpsycho when they're playing in Fredrikstad this summer. Just had to mention it :P

Lucky bastard! What's your band's name?

Hey Raw Power. If you like Hellacopters song "sent en lördagkväll" you better check out the original from Nationalteatern. That is much better.

Thanks a lot! I love that song.

Amiram Inc.

amiraminc.jpg

Amiram Inc are:

Amiram Eini - Lead Vocals, electric and acoustic guitars.

Shai Saadon - Bass, backing vocals.

Alon Tavori - Drums, percussion and backing vocals.

Emily Bennett - Violin and vocals.

Assaf Barak - Electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals.

Amiram Inc are a band from Tel Aviv, Israel, with Oslo native Emily Bennett who joins them on violin. They play soft, easy rock. Produced by Leif Johansen from A-Ha. It's more of a mellow, soft rock type band, as opposed to all the hardcore and punk bands that people mentioned here before. Their lyrics is the best part.

Where to start?

Well, basicly, with their only album - Little Defects. Just go to their myspace and listen to their songs: http://www.myspace.com/amiraminc

Recommended songs: Little Defects, Alright, Chance, Blame You.

Edited by Projected