Rush live at the Tweeter Center June 27

Mansin Humanity

Spoilers abound here. If youre seeing them this tour, and dont want to know about the show, STOP READING RIGHT.......... NOW.

We got to the venue around 7, and headed over to go in. There was a sign saying no cameras, but security was incredibly light, so I was able to get mine in. On that note, there was a rather "botanical aroma" throughout the crowd. The venue was an ampitheater. Our seats werent under the pavilion, but good anyway. I purchased a shirt with a road with snakes and arrows on it, and tour dates on the back. I also got a poster w/ the album cover and tour dates, and a necklace type thing. Will post pics of merch later.

Anyway, at about 745, a video appeared on the screens. It turns out it was a dream of Alex's, who woke up and found out he was sleeping next to Neil LOL. The camera then went into geddys room, where he woke up to a scottish geddy telling him to get his arse on stage. It really showed to boys sense of humor. So after this, Alex Lifeson walks out and plays the opening riff to Limelight. The places goes fucking crazy, and we drown him out with cheers for the first couple riffs. It was a solid performance of the song. One of the best of the night. Next came Digital Man. I wasn't so sure of this coming in, but I ended up loving it. After, Entre Nous was delivered in great fashion. One right after the other, these first three songs were a great start to the concert. There was a break, Geddy talked to the crowd, and gave a shout out to Red Sox Nation, which got a great reception from the crowd. After this, they started to play Mission, which I thought would be a snoozer, but it was a rocking song with great energy. Next came Freewill. This brought great joy as a radio hit. There was a great reception and sing along in the crowd to this. When Freewill ended, Geddy introduced one of the new songs, The Main Monkey Business, an instrumental. I took a piss break for this one but it still sounded great. After came another new song, The Larger Bowl. This one is really calm on the album, but it is a great song live. Following TLB was Secret Touch, a song from their 2002 album Vapor Trails. This was a great song with great energy, a good song to get back into the older stuff. Next was a nice suprise, Circumstances. It was tuned half a step down and Geddy couldn't hit all the high notes, but a great rendition none the less. After Circumstances was Between the Wheels. I was eager to hear this, and it didn't disappoint. One of my favorite songs of the night. Next was Dreamline, with tons of riffs and lasers, which was pretty sweet. That closed out the first set. Amazing, to say the least, and still another 15 or so songs to go.

There was another video before the start of the second set, one of "The Game of Snakes And Arrows." It had alot of people scratching their heads, but it displayed the sense of humor of them again. Following this to start the second set was their first single off S & A, Far Cry. I was looking forward to this, and it didnt let up. There was a huge explosion in the middle of the song, which was awesome. Following FC was Workin Them Angels, another new song. This provided a nice second song, with pictures of workers and such w/ angels wings. At the end, they showed two soldiers with wings, which drew a huge cheer from the crowd. After this was Armor and Sword, which I was out by the merch stands for most of. It sounded great though, and i got back for the last minute or so. Next was Spindrift, one of the heavier songs from S & A. Although not many people knew it, a lot were still rocking out. For the 5th song of the second set, they played The Way the Wind Blows, which was a great song accented nicely by a cool breeze. After 5 new songs, people were ready for some oldies. The boys responded by playing Subdivisions, which drew a great response and was an awesome song. Next was a long song, Natural Science, but it never let up. A fantastic rendition of the song. Following was Witch Hunt. I was never a big fan of this song studio, but they brought it to a whole new level live. Some pyrotechnics added to the song nicely. After was Malignant Narcissism, which is a great instrumental from the new album. It contained the moment we had all been waiting for. Neil Peart's drum solo. Ahh fucking hell it was amazing. Started off slowly, with some rock based stuff, got faster and faster and then went into sort of a marching band thing with the electric drums, which was cool, After this he did sort of an African tribe style solo. To finish it off, he did a big band/jazz thing that was a great end to an amazing four minute solo. Talk about a hard act to follow, but Alex Lifeson managed to do it with his acoustic instrumental from the new album, Hope. It was a nice break from all the craziness from before. Next was Summertime Blues. Even though it was a cover, it was a great performance and singalong. After SB was The Spirit of Radio, which was simply amazing. The whole crowd got a clap going during the chorus without any prompting from the band. Just great energy. And just when you thought it couldnt get better, a South Park episode comes on the screens. The kids are in a rush cover band, and start playing Tom Sawyer. But Cartman sings "A modern day warrior named Tom Sawyer floated down a river with a black guy." This cause Kenny to yell "THATS HUCK FINN, FATASS!" Hilarious. After the SP intro, Tom Sawyer starts, which gets a roar of approval from the crowd. Great energy and awesome song to yell the words to. After this, the second set was over. Many people left but we knew better. Sure enough, about two minutes later, the boys get back on stage for the encore. Geddy throws some stuff into the crowd, and mentions "I throw like a girl, dont I," causing laughter in the crowd. After this, Neil begins the intro to One Little Victory, a high energy song with lots of pyro. Following OLV was A Passage to Bangkok. This might be my favorite rush song now. They made it rather clear they wre going to Bangkok to ummm.... find something good to smoke. After APTB, people were yelling for YYZ. Neil starts the chimes intro and the fucking roof is blown off. An amazing performance to end an amazing show.

NOTES-

- Neil smiled! Twice!

- Alex was lost in the mix for a few solos.

- The boys were spot on other than a few notes here and there.

- They haven't lost a thing in 33 years. Rock on, Rush.

Buy tickets if they are coming near you! you wont regret it!

Edited by asp324

Great review!...cool!

Circumstances?...sweet!

I haven't heard them do Bangkok live in about 30 years.(I started going to Rush shows on the All the World's A Stage tour).REALLY looking forward to Bangkok!!

I'm going to see their hometown Toronto show and also London.

If this is half as good as the 30th Anniversary tour,it's going to be amazing!

Great review!...cool!

Circumstances?...sweet!

I haven't heard them do Bangkok live in about 30 years.(I started going to Rush shows on the All the World's A Stage tour).REALLY looking forward to Bangkok!!

yeah circumstances was great. and bangkok was mindblowing! i didnt go to R30, but this was amazing.

EDIT: video of hope-

not great, but eh.

Edited by asp324

• 2 weeks later...

saw them friday at tweeter - played a similar set

natural science was by far the highlight

along with one little victory

and circumstances was a suprise as well.

they really shouldn't have clumped all the new songs together like that in the second set.

Great review!...cool!

Circumstances?...sweet!

Sweet, I'm going to the London show aswell! Should be a great show for Neil's birthday.