Lennon or McCartney

DCGNR

Lennon if thats your cup of tea.

Paul is more of an ignorant mans music, often simple.

His new song makes me upset.g

Lennon is a deeper man, his songs probably not as catchy or fun as Paul's but still i'd rather listen to "Working Class Hero" long before i listen to that new song where Paul walks through a house playing that goofy guitar with the ghosts running around.

are you for real? Maccas music is way more complex than Lennons. Lennon was limited to blues. his musical range wasn't exactly spread widely.

Yeah...Beautiful Boy,Imagine,Norwegian Wood (to name but a few) are just dripping the blues.

well these are still plain songs man. I really like them but they're not complex or anything. not every song he made was a blues song, but qualitywise he never raised above the level of an ordinary blues song.

then again, if you've ever subscribed to the notion that music is nothing more than organised noise (which i do because think about it, a certain sequence of sounds in a certain order is music) then Two Virgins is the most experimental album of all time. its sub heading is after all Unfinished Music. hows that for raising the level?

I didn't want to point out, that music has to be complex to be good. some fellow forum member said that Macca was writing the simple songs while John was the one who wrote the more advanced song. In fact Lennons songs weren't that complex or anything compared to Macca. I really love Lennons music and even if it's simple that doesn't make the expirience of listening to it less valuable. I was just arguing against the statement " Lennon wrote more complex songs then Macca".

you were right too :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back. Frank I really enjoyed your posts here and they make me feel a little less stressed about being brief, but I'll try anyway. I have actually been pondering this thread off and on for a couple of days now(I have a life really) And I realized why I feel the need to defend John. It is simple because he is brilliant and he is gone unable to defend himself. We will never know how he might have stayed consistant and true, or became jaded with time, because all the world was robbed of that knowlege and all his future work by his sensless death. I don't really like to compare these two because I think they are both brilliant it is just Lennon's naked vulnarability that defines him for me. As an artist and human being he was so willing to say here I am, here is what I believe, this is my truth. I am not saying that Paul, or hundreds of other did not do this same thing. That honest expression of one persons truth is what often makes a song great and remembered. However few did it as often, or as consistantly as Lennon. Somewhere in this thread someone called him the voice of a generation and he was chided saying there is no such thing, or something along those lines. And while a voice for a generation my be overblowwing his effect he did effect people. By his life and songs like Imagine. By his biracial marriage when they were certainly more rare than they are now and by his death. When a person of peace dies violently, or even just senslessly it colors their work for all those who follow. I am not sure, but I think maybe it goes back to a time before written language when if we wanted future genrations know something a story had to be made and passed down. John's songs are his storyand a huge part of his legacy, but what we say about those things are part of that same legacy. I think that is why this threads was started, or at least replied to by some. We want to express our own truth about these men. I am glad they were here That they made the music that they did my life is richer for it. I am glad Paul still is, but I miss John and sorrow for what might have been.

I'm back. Frank I really enjoyed your posts here and they make me feel a little less stressed about being brief, but I'll try anyway. I have actually been pondering this thread off and on for a couple of days now(I have a life really) And I realized why I feel the need to defend John. It is simple because he is brilliant and he is gone unable to defend himself. We will never know how he might have stayed consistant and true, or became jaded with time, because all the world was robbed of that knowlege and all his future work by his sensless death. I don't really like to compare these two because I think they are both brilliant it is just Lennon's naked vulnarability that defines him for me. As an artist and human being he was so willing to say here I am, here is what I believe, this is my truth. I am not saying that Paul, or hundreds of other did not do this same thing. That honest expression of one persons truth is what often makes a song great and remembered. However few did it as often, or as consistantly as Lennon. Somewhere in this thread someone called him the voice of a generation and he was chided saying there is no such thing, or something along those lines. And while a voice for a generation my be overblowwing his effect he did effect people. By his life and songs like Imagine. By his biracial marriage when they were certainly more rare than they are now and by his death. When a person of peace dies violently, or even just senslessly it colors their work for all those who follow. I am not sure, but I think maybe it goes back to a time before written language when if we wanted future genrations know something a story had to be made and passed down. John's songs are his storyand a huge part of his legacy, but what we say about those things are part of that same legacy. I think that is why this threads was started, or at least replied to by some. We want to express our own truth about these men. I am glad they were here That they made the music that they did my life is richer for it. I am glad Paul still is, but I miss John and sorrow for what might have been.

there is not a word there i disagree with :):):) at all. i hate to even write this, because what you wrote was so very 360 but, i only wrote what i wrote because i feel Paul is being marginalised by certain people with almost no/little knowledge. John is the beatle i own the most literature/film/audio of and i think i've told you before but my encyclopedic knowledge of the beatles is due to a love i have for them that i think most people would call dorky. they'd be right, whatever, i can't help what people think, i just think they communicated somethin utterly perfect and their place in time is something indelible and essential to our being is ways that we dont really understand because all culture ever does with time is water itself down. Paul is a genius that has suffered from nothing less that being alive but...i can't say much more than i 100% agree with your post save the part about choosing between the two because i think they were equal parts in this particular miracle :)