Slash no longer my favorite guitarist

DCGNR

BTW, does anybody else think Robin directly copies Frusciante's look, espressions and some of his moves?

hmm...

I can sorta see it, they both go for that dirty hippy, feet one meter apart stance, with the low slung guitar and really spastic playing style with lots of "dissonant" notes...

Exactly, just check out this smokin' hot performance by Frusciante snd you'll see what we're talkin' about:

BTW, any RHCP fans who don't have the Slane Castle DVD are missing out huge. Is there a drummer more cool to watch than Chad Smith(aka, Will Ferrell)? Dude's unreal how hard he pounds the skins....

hmm that solo was...bad :tongue2:

this is realy good guitar playing ;)

The solos and overall guitar work on Libertad are awesome. You got some people here criticizing Slash for supposedly being stuck back in the 80's and others bitching he's not doin' 3 minute solos on every track. :xmassrudolph:

The length of his solos are similar to what Morello, Frusciante and other top rock axe men are doin' these days. Nothin' would date this band more than Slash ripping off 80's length solos on every track.

Personally, I don't miss the longer solos at all anymore and the music would sound dated to me if over-long solos dominated the album. As HRS said, he's making plenty of impact with the way he's writing these shorter solos now and it's giving the tunes and overall album a strong flow.

Mary, Mary has one of the shortest solos on the record and it's one of my faves....

BTW, does anybody else think Robin directly copies Frusciante's look, espressions and some of his moves?

hmm...

I can sorta see it, they both go for that dirty hippy, feet one meter apart stance, with the low slung guitar and really spastic playing style with lots of "dissonant" notes...

Exactly, just check out this smokin' hot performance by Frusciante snd you'll see what we're talkin' about:

BTW, any RHCP fans who don't have the Slane Castle DVD are missing out huge. Is there a drummer more cool to watch than Chad Smith(aka, Will Ferrell)? Dude's unreal how hard he pounds the skins....

You're crazy...and possibly deaf?

What the fuck is this guy complaining about? Libertad features some groovy-ass riffs, licks, and well-crafted melodic solos. Granted Contraband sucked like nothings ever sucked before, the new album is just tasty.

Slash has never been one for long-ass solos. I've got a quote from him that goes, "I've never been one of those guys who want to solo for longer than he should. My solos complement the song, and that's the most important part."

Slash won me back after I seriously doubted his creativity during VR's early run. Yay for Slash!

Edited by bluesy

hmm...

this is realy good guitar playing ;)

children of bodom rules rock3

Edited by slash_360

What the fuck is this guy complaining about? Libertad features some groovy-ass riffs, licks, and well-crafted melodic solos. Granted Contraband sucked like nothings ever sucked before, the new album is just tasty.

Slash has never been one for long-ass solos. I've got a quote from him that goes, "I've never been one of those guys who want to solo for longer than he should. My solos complement the song, and that's the most important part."

Slash won me back after I seriously doubted his creativity during VR's early run. Yay for Slash!

Slash won you back with Libertad, and you dis-liked Contraband? I don't get that. At least on Contraband, you could take samples of his playing and say, that sounds like what he did in GNR. On Libertad, I hear more of what he did on his solo albums, which I was never a huge fan of.

To each their own

hmm...

No but you maybe are who couldn't hear that he coudn't play that solo clean :tongue2:

it sounded realy messy

hmm...

No but you maybe are who couldn't hear that he coudn't play that solo clean :tongue2:

it sounded realy messy

Was Jimi's solos clean??? No.....the dirty, grimey style is the point.

hmm...

it sounded realy messy

Was Jimi's solos clean??? No.....the dirty, grimey style is the point.

hmm ok

I think it sounds bad but you can think what you want

i think it sounds alot better when I can hear what thay are playing

Was gonna post in VR section, but I think this goes here too

Slash is no longer my #1 guitartist I enjoy listening to. His GNR work, yes. Some of his Contraband stuff yes, but this Fucking LIbertad pisses me off more and more as I listen to it. How can this be the same guy I grew up listening to. He does not even make his presence felt on it.

Never thought I'd say this, but nowadays, but when I want to hear some beautiful guitar work and just get lost in an album of good riffs and great playing, I am

throwing in The Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium and listening to Frusciante just play and play.

Never thought I'd see a day where The Peppers make a better guitar-oriented album than my man Slash, but it has arrived.

He's just saving his good stuff for the G N' R reunion album....it's COMING!

Was gonna post in VR section, but I think this goes here too

Slash is no longer my #1 guitartist I enjoy listening to. His GNR work, yes. Some of his Contraband stuff yes, but this Fucking LIbertad pisses me off more and more as I listen to it. How can this be the same guy I grew up listening to. He does not even make his presence felt on it.

Never thought I'd say this, but nowadays, but when I want to hear some beautiful guitar work and just get lost in an album of good riffs and great playing, I am

throwing in The Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium and listening to Frusciante just play and play.

Never thought I'd see a day where The Peppers make a better guitar-oriented album than my man Slash, but it has arrived.

He's just saving his good stuff for the G N' R reunion album....it's COMING!

And I hope you are correct sir!

I think I'd probably be more interested in Frusciante's solo stuff. I saw one of his solo performances (just one song) on YouTube not long ago and it was cool. But I've never really been into the Chili Peppers. None of their singles has ever really grabbed my attention and as such I've never bothered to seek out more of their music. Guess I'm not into their "funk" kind of sound.

Perhaps it comes with age. You lose your creativity when you get older?? When was the last time Eddie or Jimmy wrote something monstrous?? :huh:

they lose interest of being creative....some of them just give up...the others like Slash, just play it save and simple.

listen to SBQM solo, then go to Slither solo....what do you hear?......it's the same solo......and at the beginning of SBQM riff ...that is the same riff of Slither.

it's like Slash doesn't try hard any more. He just puts a simple riff or solo on the song and calls it a night.

Not denying anyone's guitar skills,but...Stadium Arcadium bores the shit out of me.

Slash's playing still makes me want to crack open a beer and have fun.

can't agree with you more. i tried to like the chillies but they bore me, just like indie music.

as for slash, he just changed styles, he still rocks. if you don't like them it doesn't matter to me. but Slash is happy doing what he's doing now so i don't think anyone here can make him change ;)

Frankly I'm surprised Slash can continue to make unique sounding solos and riffs while still retaining his signature sound. You would think after the glory days of Appetite and the absolutely creative black-hole that was the Illusions albums (black hole because they required so much creative effort on Slash's part, often for songs that didn't work as a whole), he would be creatively spent -- but he isn't. You can argue about how solos sound similar to song A or riff B or whatever, but if you think Libertad or Contraband is rehashing, then you really have not heard true rehashing.

I love Frusciante as a guitar player, but I don't think he's better than Slash or Slash is better than him. Frusciante has this really cool, Hendrix-y fender strat sound that is still distinctly his, while Slash's Les Paul/Marshal combo still manages a tone and emotive quality that nobody can truly emulate. They're both awesome.

I think Slash still has a more indulgent guitar heavy album left in his arsenal, guys. But Velvet Revolver have to build credibility and a fan base before they can start making any sort of indulgent material if they want to remain relevant -- that sort of thing is not debut album material -- nor is it sophmore album material as UYI demonstrates :). The Peppers had to work a long time before they could get away with something as massive and creatively indulgent as Stadium Arcadium.

Edited by Ant