Ramones

pain cake

Okay so I used to listen to these guys a lot when I was first getting into music, but as my tastes grew I sort of dismissed them. Then tonight I stuck on End of the Century and SHIT I AM FALLING IN LOVE WITH THEM ALL OVER AGAIN! They got some pretty cool arrangements, contrary to what most people think that they were just 4 talentless guys, cranking out 3 bar chords, a simple beat and a guy with a silly voice. But they got some cool instrumentals and some sweet lyrics... I don't know how I've been living without the Ramones :heart:

It's exactly what I've been looking for in this time of my life, something loud, fast, but intricate enough for me as a musician to appreciate, and tonight I realised those 6 albums I've had hiding away in my collection are exactly what I've been looking for. Woot my life is complete! :D

Edited by pain cake

they are about the most important band to come out of America really. the following is from a previous post of mine, sums up how i feel really :). sorry i dunno how to do like quotes and links and shit.

"i think the ramones are the greatest american band of all time. bar none. out of the self indulgent bullshit of the prog rock late 70s came this fucking band who were like....totally reductive to base emotions, like the beatles early output, they invented a sound of their own, johnny ramones downpicking powerhouse guitar playing, Joeys kinda baritone voice, tommy and later marky with that breakneck drumming. they were just total americana from the brando-esque jackets, the name sharing almost ganglike quality they brought to their image. they were regimented, they were just sheer fuckin sonic power...so much audio-muscle. and they just looked the shit, comin outta that whole hippie thing they musta looked like, like legs mcneil said, the fuckin SS, like storm troopers. and they made the fucking catchiest songs!!! its their own bad luck i suppose that they got caught up in that phoney punk rock hysteria and people thought they were just trouble but they truly were the greatest band to come out of america, their influence in infinite, they changed music irreprabably. the fact that they werent like...the fucking beatles is just a crime, it truly is. and the other thing is their output. it was constant with them, ALWAYS were puttin record after record out, total proffesionals in the studio, gettin it done in 2 days, and CONSTANTLY on the road...the ramones were never off the road, i think in total the played 2,600 somethin gigs from 74 til 96 when they called it a day. a valid band, constant puttin out consistent product and playing, after all what do bands do? they play, not like nowadays resting on their fucking laurels and shit. and, if u know anything about the band, theres a deep tragedy resting in the heart of all this brotherhood, i reccomend u watch End Of The Century"

Edited by ffrankwhite

God, I love Ramones, they are definetly among my top 10 bands. I'm not too keen on their 80s and 90s stuff, though, except End of the Century and "Censorshit".

Agreed.

To that person meaning to get into them I tell you get their first 5 albums (S/T, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin, End of the Century), then Brain Drain. Or get the anthology, it's the greatest "best of" album ever, it seriously nailed all their good material with only a few songs left out.

Edited by pain cake

God, I love Ramones, they are definetly among my top 10 bands. I'm not too keen on their 80s and 90s stuff, though, except End of the Century and "Censorshit".

Agreed.

To that person meaning to get into them I tell you get their first 5 albums, then Brain Drain. Or get the anthology, it's the greatest "best of" album ever, it seriously nailed all their good material with only a few songs left out.

i dont think they ever made a bad song :)

I don't see how anyone can not love the Ramones. Just pure, simple, fun and amazingly energetic music.

Yeah it's just fun no worries music, which makes sense cause I saw in an interview with Joey that he thought the Ramones came out just at the right time when all the rockers a few years ago were now taking themselves way too seriously. And the only person I know who doesn't like the Ramones takes his music way way too seriously.

Yeah I can understand if somebody doesnt love the Ramones musically, but still everyone should have huge amount of respect for them. They did something new, fresh and didn't sell out.

Great style and great tunes. And yes like the first poster said (well put) they aren't just talentless street punks, they really made good songs! And even as players they weren't really that bad as people tend to think of punk players.

I recommed Rocket to Russia (of course) and Brain Drain. Thei 80-90 material wasn't too even, each record had gems but they just couldn't nail a whole album IMO.

Their 80's and 90's albums still produced some great songs. I was listening to Howling at the Moon (Sha-la-la) yesterday, and even though they were obviously trying to be 80's pop its a frieken sweet song. They had some great songs hidden away like Daytime Dillema (danger of love), Poison Heart, Palacides Park, Pet Sematary, Censorshit, My Brain is Hanging upside Down (Bonzo goes to Bitburg), Out of Here.

Edited by pain cake