Chris Axl

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its better than "......and justice for all"

No way! :lol:

'..And Justice For All' 'Kill 'em All' 'Ride The Lightning' 'Master Of Puppets.'

The Black Album just don't hold a candle to them. Its where 'tallica started going dowhill.. IMO :no:

Although I do love Re-Load.. And St. Anger ain't as bad as people think.

xDSGx

Funny because i loved load and cant stand Re-load i think its there worst album,My favourite is the black album the songwriting on that album is excellent,for a good old pure rock out album though "Master of puppets" very close behind it at no 2 then Kill em all.

Guest knerken
Elaborate, please.

I think that the constant 200 bpm picking and James' screaming on the first three albums gets very uninteresting after a few listens. On the Black Album, Metallica kind of enlarged their musical spectre; James learned to sing properly instead of just acting agressive and screaming is balls off, the songs are not just pure, standard thrash-metal, they got ballads like Unforgiven and NEM and hard-rock elements in songs like Enter Sandman and Of Wolf And Man. Yes, they wrote the songs more commercial-wise, so what? They are still better songs than on the former albums IMO.

Black Album's production is also much clearer, but still more powerful than the former albums, but that is not really an argument since they probably couldn't afford Bob Rock to produce their first albums.

Lyricwise, James wrote more personal lyrics on the Black Album. I don't really care if the lyrics are personal or not, really. But I still think that "You will die! When I say! You must die!" sounds really dumb compared to for example The God That Failed which is about James' mother who died from cancer.

Unfortunatly I haven't heard ..And Justice For All yet. I will check it out.

I think this is more of a matter of opinion - I like the raw, agressive and thrashy sound of Metallica and in general, while you prefer the polished and more commercial sound of Metallica.

More powerful? In what way?

Metallica weren't really trying to be lyrical geniuses in their earlier day, so I can't argue with that :lol:

You should definetly check out ...And Justice For All, it is a really great album - I see it as a mixture of their early thrash years and the more calm sound of Black Album.

You should definetly check out ...And Justice For All, it is a really great album - I see it as a mixture of their early thrash years and the more calm sound of Black Album.

theres nothing CALM about the sound of The Black Album :question: have you even lissend to it?

Guest knerken

You're right, it's definatly a matter of opinion. I usually like the earlier and rawer material from most bands, but not Metallica. I will check out Justice as soon as possible, the few songs I've heard from it are really good.

Edited by knerken

You're right, it's definatly a matter of opinion. I usually like the earlier and rawer material from most bands, but not Metallica. I will check out Justice as soon as possible, the few songs I've heard from it are really good.

especially the lyrics are very good and it has one of my favorite metallica's song also one of the most underrated the instrumental To Live Is To Die

it`s strange how you guys (Chris and Lithium) hate each other, especially if it is remembered that you are from the same country.

on the topic: my favorite album is Load. Every song is masterpiece there. Just listen to them. I heard that metallica after 91 is not Metallica and that`s why i didn`t listen to the songs until recent times. But when i listened to them they blew me away. What the great songs!!!!!!!!

I heard that metallica after 91 is not Metallica and that`s why i didn`t listen to the songs until recent times. But when i listened to them they blew me away. What the great songs!!!!!!!!

offocurse it is

Not good Metallica. Its like taking a shit on a bagel and saying 'Its still a bagel'.

I heard that metallica after 91 is not Metallica and that`s why i didn`t listen to the songs until recent times. But when i listened to them they blew me away. What the great songs!!!!!!!!

offocurse it is

c`mon, you begun listen to Metallica just now. You can`t judge. Give youself some time. I wonder what you will say then ;)

Edited by Classic_Rock

offocurse it is

Not good Metallica. Its like taking a shit on a bagel and saying 'Its still a bagel'.

You know you are one of those that Metallica is annoyed by the most? worst thing they know is "fans" like you who says what Metallica is supposed to sound like.

offocurse it is

c`mon, you begun listen to Metallica just now. You can`t judge. Give youself some time. I wonder what you will say then ;)

Chris is agreeing with you. He means that 'of course Metallica after '91 is Metallica' ;)

Guest knerken

offocurse it is

:rofl-lol:

offocurse it is

You know you are one of those that Metallica is annoyed by the most? worst thing they know is "fans" like you who says what Metallica is supposed to sound like.

Listen pipsqueek. I don't give 2 shits about what Metallica think about my opinions of their band. By your definition, they could come out with an album of bluegrass Britney Spears cover versions, and it'd still be Metallica. I'm not talking about Metallica as it is known today. I'm talking about the band who brought metal and made it something much more powerful. Took the blueprints for heavy metal and made it their own. They mastered the genre. However, they decided to get a bit bigger, by making the Black album. Fair enough, but heres the main point. Compared to their early hits, the Black Album sucks ass. Don't assume that because its sold more records than their other albums, that it is their best. It isn't.

Booyah.

offocurse it is

Chris is agreeing with you. He means that 'of course Metallica after '91 is Metallica' ;)

ups :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

offocurse it is

Listen pipsqueek. I don't give 2 shits about what Metallica think about my opinions of their band. By your definition, they could come out with an album of bluegrass Britney Spears cover versions, and it'd still be Metallica. I'm not talking about Metallica as it is known today. I'm talking about the band who brought metal and made it something much more powerful. Took the blueprints for heavy metal and made it their own. They mastered the genre. However, they decided to get a bit bigger, by making the Black album. Fair enough, but heres the main point. Compared to their early hits, the Black Album sucks ass. Don't assume that because its sold more records than their other albums, that it is their best. It isn't.

Booyah.

:rofl-lol: I havent heard anyone say pipsqueek in years

I like the Black Album and I think it's one of Metallicas best albums. They tried something new, it was a new approach in creating an album and I really appreciate this. You can't really say it's commercial because it's not that easy to write successful songs when you have no expirience. The record has great songs equally as good or even better than on any othe Metallica album. I like the melodies and the hard rock influence. It's great and I see it as Metallicas peak in creating music.

And in no way I would say it has a commercial sound. In fact what the hell is a commercial sound? there's no such a thing as a "commercial sound". music sounds different for people. if you talk to the average joe about music and how Use Your Illusion has a commercial sound, he probably will laugh you in the face. 8 or 9 minute songs with up to 3 guitar solos and no chorus?? seriously just very few people will recognize the "commercial sound" in these songs.

music that sells is commercial no matter what it sounds like it's that easy. it has nothing to do with the sound itself.

I don't like Metallica at all.

Reason? Dunno, it all sounds way too boring to me. I never took my time to dig deeper than just the songs probably everybody knows, never felt the need to.

Same here.

WOW!! Wait five- ten years and then listen again and again if necessary. I know I didn't care for Metallica, Pantera,Black Sabbath (except for Crazy train) not really any Metal until my late 30's early 40's I am actually just now discovering some wonderful songs that have been around a long time. If you are never angry, or have been taught that being angry is somehow "sinful" It may keep "Devil music" from having an appeal, but if you really listen to the lyrics or sometimes just let the feelings of certain songs wash over you it is wonderful.

Chris - not really, but I would call the Illusions highly commercial. And yes, I know what I am talking about.

that depends on your definition of 'comercial'

I for one label a song/album as commercial if it obvious that it was created from the start with the only purpose in mind to sell, without any regard whatsoever for its artistic value or for true expresion of the artist's feelings/thoughts

in that aspect, neither the Illusions or The Black Album are commercial

as for the topic, I find The Black Album good, not great, I like the 3 big hits on it a lot, I don't mind the rest of the album

their 80s work is not my thing, too noisy and fast for may tastes, but then again I only heard little of it; same for their later work, bar a few songs