Nine Inch Nails

Iron Roses

I checked out some of their stuff because of all the hype 'round here, but most of it was just bad, unnecessary noises imo.

a lot of the stuff you cant really get on first listen..

some of those "unnecessary noises" start to sound not so much out of place..

and, they become put together..

but, I know there not everyones cup of tea..

I can understand that..

I usually try to "ease" friends into the music when I'm introducing someone to NIN's music. You can't just put on a song like "Mr. Self Destruct" and expect a new fan to get it.

I usually recommend they listen to "Pretty Hate Machine" first - because this album offers a good mix of lighter ballads and harder industrial rock to get a new fan used to Trent's style and lyrics. The music isn't as layered and raw as Trent's later work, but it's a great album. In fact, it's still my favorite NIN album. After that, I'd recommend "Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile" - which are raw, heavily-layered industrial rock albums that will blow your mind. NIN's live album - "And All That Could Have Been" - is, I think, the best live album from any band ever.

"With Teeth" is the most mainstream album Trent ever made. It's good - but it's not indicative of Trent's best work and sound.

If you just want to listen to individual tracks first, then I'd recommend "Terrible Lie," "Closer," (Live version from the "And All That Could Have Been" album), "Head LIke A Hole," "The Wretched," "Gave Up," "Something I Could Never Have," and "We're In This Together" (*my favorite NIN song). Also, "Wish," "No You Don't," "That's What I Get," "Into the Void," "Sin," "The Fragile," "Day the world went Away," "Hurt," "Sanctified," "Happiness In Slavery," and "Kinda I want to." This is a good mix of harder rock songs and ballads. :)

I usually try to "ease" friends into the music when I'm introducing someone to NIN's music. You can't just put on a song like "Mr. Self Destruct" and expect a new fan to get it.

I usually recommend they listen to "Pretty Hate Machine" first - because this album offers a good mix of lighter ballads and harder industrial rock to get a new fan used to Trent's style and lyrics. The music isn't as layered and raw as Trent's later work, but it's a great album. In fact, it's still my favorite NIN album. After that, I'd recommend "Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile" - which are raw, heavily-layered industrial rock albums that will blow your mind. NIN's live album - "And All That Could Have Been" - is, I think, the best live album from any band ever.

"With Teeth" is the most mainstream album Trent ever made. It's good - but it's not indicative of Trent's best work and sound.

If you just want to listen to individual tracks first, then I'd recommend "Terrible Lie," "Closer," (Live version from the "And All That Could Have Been" album), "Head LIke A Hole," "The Wretched," "Gave Up," "Something I Could Never Have," and "We're In This Together" (*my favorite NIN song). Also, "Wish," "No You Don't," "That's What I Get," "Into the Void," "Sin," "The Fragile," "Day the world went Away," "Hurt," "Sanctified," "Happiness In Slavery," and "Kinda I want to." This is a good mix of harder rock songs and ballads. :)

Funny, I tried a strategy like this with my cousin- did not work. He insisted on it being noise and making fun of the music, saying it was all crap etc.

Then one day in my car he heard 'Wish' and 'Last' and asked me who it was...I told him, he asked to hear more like that. Right now he has 4 NIN albums that he borrowed from me (thank God for my ipod :P ) and keeps bugging me to take him to a gig. Success...eventually! :rofl-lol:

I like Nine Inch Nails, although there music was better in the olden days, pretty hate machine and downward spiral.

I do think Trent is a great song writer/artist, but he did lose some of his ability to write good music when he got of the drugs.

I'm not too keen on their new stuff

to me it just sounded like a bunch of noise

Edited by Axl-rocks

A lot of my favorite NIN songs happen to be the last song on the cd.

PHM - An exception, as Ringfinger is kinda shitty/dated.

Broken - Suck

TDS - Hurt (Tied as my favorite)

TF - La Mer/ The Great Below

WT - Right Where It Belongs (Although I like the quiet version better)

YZ - Zero-Sum

:huh:

Trent's an extremely talented guy, for sure.

My favorite albums are PHM, Downward Spiral, and Year Zero - All 3 are incredible pieces of work in my eyes, perfectly realized and unified musical statements with lots of creativity.

With Teeth has moments of greatness and is basically a good record, but I've always felt that The Fragile was a miscalculation on several levels.