John vs. Paul vs. George vs. Ringo

Vincent Vega

What Beatle's Solo Material was the best?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the order of talent is as follows:

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

However, my favourite list is:

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

Lennon was a bloody genius. Harrison came up with some absolute genius level songs - Something and My Sweet Lord (not Beatles just Harrison), not to mention the Traveling Wilburys.

McCartney's music to my ears, is dull and meloncholy. I dont like it. All my favourite Beatles songs are Johns.

If McCartney hadnt hooked up with John, he'd be hardly anything in my opinion.

Ringo's just great, being himself. No talent, just one of only two remaining Beatles, and a great person. Funny too!!

come ONN now!! Paul was fucking amazing. post magical mystery tour he was the de facto leader of the beatles, by Johns own admission he werent as productive as Paul in that period and look at it, time and time again Paul was coming up with the stronger matierial, getting the A sides where John got the B's. to say Paul is the mehelencholy one (although i sort of understand what you mean) is just plain wrong, he was the upbeat one out of the two by all accounts including their own.

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

Lennon was a bloody genius. Harrison came up with some absolute genius level songs - Something and My Sweet Lord (not Beatles just Harrison), not to mention the Traveling Wilburys.

McCartney's music to my ears, is dull and meloncholy. I dont like it. All my favourite Beatles songs are Johns.

Ringo's just great, being himself. No talent, just one of only two remaining Beatles, and a great person. Funny too!!

come ONN now!! Paul was fucking amazing. post magical mystery tour he was the de facto leader of the beatles, by Johns own admission he werent as productive as Paul in that period and look at it, time and time again Paul was coming up with the stronger matierial, getting the A sides where John got the B's. to say Paul is the mehelencholy one (although i sort of understand what you mean) is just plain wrong, he was the upbeat one out of the two by all accounts including their own.

in some ways h was amazing. Paul said that someone once told him that all his songs sound like hymns, and he sort of agreed. Im not saying he's never upbeat, but to me, his songs have a dullness or something to them, that I hate. The only one that I really love is Love Me Do. Ob Li Di, Ob La Da, is one of the Beatles worst moments, and I think Hey Jude is the most boring sounding, overrated song in music history. His Wings group was an embarrassment, and his duet with Michael Jackson, Say Say Say, is nauseating.

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

in some ways h was amazing. Paul said that someone once told him that all his songs sound like hymns, and he sort of agreed. Im not saying he's never upbeat, but to me, his songs have a dullness or something to them, that I hate. The only one that I really love is Love Me Do. Ob Li Di, Ob La Da, is one of the Beatles worst moments, and I think Hey Jude is the most boring sounding, overrated song in music history. His Wings group was an embarrassment, and his duet with Michael Jackson, Say Say Say, is nauseating.

What about Helter Skelter, Get Back, I've Got a Feeling, Hello Goodbye, Getting Better, Got To Get You Into My Life, Lady Madonna, Yesterday, You Never Give Me Your Money? These songs are dull for you, come on.

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

What about Helter Skelter, Get Back, I've Got a Feeling, Hello Goodbye, Getting Better, Got To Get You Into My Life, Lady Madonna, Yesterday, You Never Give Me Your Money? These songs are dull for you, come on.

the only I like out of those is Get Back.

You dont think Yesterday is dull??? It's probably one of the most depressing and dull songs ive ever heard. lennon even hated it when he first heard it, and was stunned that it was so popular.

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

the only I like out of those is Get Back.

You dont think Yesterday is dull??? It's probably one of the most depressing and dull songs ive ever heard. lennon even hated it when he first heard it, and was stunned that it was so popular.

In no fucking way yesterday is dull. It might be depressing but it's a feeling that needs to be covered. I enjoy this song very much at times. and You Never Gibe Me You Money is one of the best beatles songs ever. It's like 3 songs in one.

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

also, the catchiness of it was Paul, the sense of melody, for all of johns supposed great innovations like the tape loop cut ups stuff, Paul was doing that before with William S Burroughs and Brian Gysion, he was into Indica and all the art stuff before Lennon, he was just more low key with it, Indica Bookshop and all that, John actually met yoko at Indica Gallery, Paul was always the more meticulous one in the studio where as john was like...he wanted music to be like journalism, made very quickly and tended to lose interest (according to george martin here) Paul was responsible for the whole Sgt Peppers concept album thing, he oversaw all the artwork and got with the artists and culled ideas. he was also the anchor of reason, he worked his butt off to make sure Apple didnt go under but the rest were being so naive and wasting so much of the money coming in with tinhorns like Magic Alex who was basically a thief but he didnt pull the wool over Paul like he did the rest and everytime Paul was like "OK, lets try and be sensible and not ruin all this" the rest of the band made him feel like some sort of killjoy and their slap-dash way of organising Apple made the whole thing go under. they were all for the whole "send us in your tapes and artwork and we'll get you heard/seen" and john making the comment about Apple being set up so people wouldn't have to "go down on their hands and knees in someones office, probably yours" but he was all mouth with that, Paul was the one helping the new bands like badfinger, doing all the practical work, producing the albums. Paul was an immense part of the beatles in many many ways and was the glue that held them together after Brian Epstein died and his contribution to the beatles cannot be marginalised in any sense.

I think the order of talent is as follows:John LennonGeorge HarrisonPaul McCartneyRingo StarrHowever, my favourite list is:LennonHarrisonStarrMcCartneyLennon was a bloody genius. Harrison came up with some absolute genius level songs - Something and My Sweet Lord (not Beatles just Harrison), not to mention the Traveling Wilburys. McCartney's music to my ears, is dull and meloncholy. I dont like it. All my favourite Beatles songs are Johns.If McCartney hadnt hooked up with John, he'd be hardly anything in my opinion.Ringo's just great, being himself. No talent, just one of only two remaining Beatles, and a great person. Funny too!!
also, the catchiness of it was Paul, the sense of melody, for all of johns supposed great innovations like the tape loop cut ups stuff, Paul was doing that before with William S Burroughs and Brian Gysion, he was into Indica and all the art stuff before Lennon, he was just more low key with it, Indica Bookshop and all that, John actually met yoko at Indica Gallery, Paul was always the more meticulous one in the studio where as john was like...he wanted music to be like journalism, made very quickly and tended to lose interest (according to george martin here) Paul was responsible for the whole Sgt Peppers concept album thing, he oversaw all the artwork and got with the artists and culled ideas. he was also the anchor of reason, he worked his butt off to make sure Apple didnt go under but the rest were being so naive and wasting so much of the money coming in with tinhorns like Magic Alex who was basically a thief but he didnt pull the wool over Paul like he did the rest and everytime Paul was like "OK, lets try and be sensible and not ruin all this" the rest of the band made him feel like some sort of killjoy and their slap-dash way of organising Apple made the whole thing go under. they were all for the whole "send us in your tapes and artwork and we'll get you heard/seen" and john making the comment about Apple being set up so people wouldn't have to "go down on their hands and knees in someones office, probably yours" but he was all mouth with that, Paul was the one helping the new bands like badfinger, doing all the practical work, producing the albums. Paul was an immense part of the beatles in many many ways and was the glue that held them together after Brian Epstein died and his contribution to the beatles cannot be marginalised in any sense.
Can you please use paragraphs to break things down into sections, it's hard to read like this.
In no fucking way yesterday is dull. It might be depressing but it's a feeling that needs to be covered. I enjoy this song very much at times. and You Never Gibe Me You Money is one of the best beatles songs ever. It's like 3 songs in one.
Depressing = dull. Yea Give you money was ok, I said i liked some

John Lennon

George Harrison

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

Lennon

Harrison

Starr

McCartney

Can you please use paragraphs to break things down into sections, it's hard to read like this.

sorry...kind of an on-going problem of mine.

Mr.Miser - you should search for Lennon vs McCartney ...a post that was started a few weeks ago that basically asked the same question, with the exception

of Ringo ( Whom noone would choose ) and George ( who got a few honorable mentions, but I would'nt count on all that many people saying they prefer him over John & Paul )

George has 30% of the votes right now. :rolleyes:

The beatles big problem:Alan Klein, didn't he take like a million or 2 from the beatles overall?

exactly! and Paul had Eastman didnt he? he was against Klein, thats half the reason they broke up! thank you, someone in the know!

no actually, Eastman was going to be brought in to manage, but the group chose klein and overrided paul(Eastman was linda's father so they were putting 2 and 2 together) Ideally, Eastman actually wouldn't have screwed them, but Klein did. Oh well, Paul gets the last laugh.

Edited by Bucketslash

no actually, Eastman was going to be brought in to manage, but the group chose klein and overrided paul(Eastman was linda's father so they were putting 2 and 2 together) Ideally, Eastman actually wouldn't have screwed them, but Klein did. Oh well, Paul gets the last laugh.

so whats the "no actually" about?? you just said the same thing as me :huh:

No, because Eastman never actually got in for managing I think

No, because Eastman never actually got in for managing I think

i meant had eastman as in was bucking for eastman, sorry, didnt explain good.

I can't believe Lennon hated Yesterday , it is very far from dull IMO , and I would put it in the top 20 of all time best songs in a heartbeat.

Listening to this song just makes you realize , how fast life passes you by. Make the best of it folks , it's not a long running TV series we're in , just a movie.

I can't believe Lennon hated Yesterday , it is very far from dull IMO , and I would put it in the top 20 of all time best songs in a heartbeat.

Listening to this song just makes you realize , how fast life passes you by. Make the best of it folks , it's not a long running TV series we're in , just a movie.

he didnt hate it, he was all for it, where did you hear that? Lennon REALLY championed that song and also championed Paul doing it on his own, to take the glory for it. even when he was being acerbic to Paul he levelled a modicum of respect towards that song "the only thing you done was Yesterday" John and Pauls biggest problem was (and is to this day) people making out this rivalry which didnt REALLY exist. it existed in a competitive sense and only that was competitive within the framework of Lennon McCartney so they shared credit anyway. their kind of competitiveness was great because it served to enhance the quality of beatle output but they were like brothers. i mean from age 15 onwards they were like a married couple :lol: closer really. they were never enemies, even at the most heated of times. its kind of like Noel and Liam, brothers in public, you can tell they love each other but they say some awful things about each other in public. its such a stereotype that Paul was this demon and John and George were lovely free souls and ringo was a jolly workhorse, it wasnt like that at all. George Harrison could be a complete bastard at times so i've read and same with Paul and the whole band knew John as "a maneuvering swine" :lol: