Metallica’s New Album: “Ridiculous,” “Sick,” “Bitchin’” Says Matt Sorum

G n F n R

7/25/07, 4:35 pm EST

Metallica’s New Album: “Ridiculous,” “Sick,” “Bitchin’” Says Matt Sorum

15668703-15668715-slarge.jpg

Metallica are hard at work on their next album with producer Rick Rubin, and at least one person outside the band has heard the songs: Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum. We’ll let him take it from here: “Lars is a good friend of mine. He played me the demos from San Francisco, and I turned and looked at him and I said, ‘Master that shit and put it out.’ It’s ridiculous. The demos were sick. Eight-minute songs, all these tempo changes, crazy fast. It’s like, ‘Dude, don’t get slower when you get older, but don’t get faster!? How are you gonna play this live?’ And then me and Lars were out partying all night, and he had to go in the studio the next day and do this stupid like nine or ten minute song, and I was laughing at him — because he played me the demo of it, and it was [sings really fast drum part], so fast. I called him, and said, ‘Dude, how are you feeling?’ He was like, ‘Dude, I’m hurting.’ They’re cutting everything to tape, no fuckin’ Pro Tools — live, no clicks. Bitchin’. I dig it. I’m really excited for them.”

Photo: AFP/Moilanen/Getty

-- Brian Hiatt

Article Link

Edited by G n F n R

They’re cutting everything to tape, no fuckin’ Pro Tools — live, no clicks. Bitchin’. I dig it. I’m really excited for them.”

See, now that is something that's not going to work when you have Lars Ulrich in your band.

That's promising news. Also, if anyone else complains about their work post Black Album, I'm going to scream. Even if a band goes wrong, there's always the possibility they can go right again. Stop damning it before you've heard it.

if it's anything like st. anger it's gonna suck massive nuts.

I don't think bands are allowed to have two extremely bad albums.

if it's anything like st. anger it's gonna suck massive nuts.

by the descrption it doesnt seems like st.anger

you never know, they could pull a good single and the rest could suck, hopflully not.

Load and Reload aren't awful albums by any stretch. They're just different from what everyone expected. If Metallica had combined the best songs from each album and made it one, it would be 10 times better than TBA.

Load and Reload aren't awful albums by any stretch. They're just different from what everyone expected. If Metallica had combined the best songs from each album and made it one, it would be 10 times better than TBA.

i totally agree, i'd take both those albums before st.anger, metallica needed a change, they were heading in the right direction, then st.anger came along.