Songwriting

I've trying to figure out what's the best way to write a song. I have no experience of it; but it seems that musicians/guitarist right riffs or music then when the music is done, a lyric guy comes in and sings something over the track.

I know this isn't always done like this but it seems quite common.

My thoughts have always been why don't they have an idea or an emotion or a story they want to capture then write music that fits the lyrics/ emotions.

Like I would imagine if you were the singer you would have a situation in your life then say I want to express this. I want to say this, now how do I say this best.

The other way is to have some guys coming up with sounds then you listen to it and say this goes with that. But it seems like a backwards technique.

The creative process is strange but does it dilute the original core of a song to have it in the mixer for too long?

Cobain: Music comes first, lyrics are secondary

(pause)

Grohl: My Sharona, what the hell is my Sharona?!?!

Novoselic: But it changed my life!

Grohl: My Sharona *mimes the beat*

but no, kidding aside, i really believe that. music is the whole point of it, musics where 70% or more of the power of a song is otherwise we'll just listen to Beat Poetry in quiet smoky clubs instead of rock n roll, the power is in the music. you can pretty much babble any inane wacky wordplay bullshit over a song (I am the Walrus) as long as you fit it well to the music it can sound incredible.

I've trying to figure out what's the best way to write a song. I have no experience of it; but it seems that musicians/guitarist right riffs or music then when the music is done, a lyric guy comes in and sings something over the track.

I know this isn't always done like this but it seems quite common.

My thoughts have always been why don't they have an idea or an emotion or a story they want to capture then write music that fits the lyrics/ emotions.

Like I would imagine if you were the singer you would have a situation in your life then say I want to express this. I want to say this, now how do I say this best.

The other way is to have some guys coming up with sounds then you listen to it and say this goes with that. But it seems like a backwards technique.

The creative process is strange but does it dilute the original core of a song to have it in the mixer for too long?

There is no set way, it's up to the song as to how it wants to be born. I've written both music first and lyrics first, depends on what inspires me. The singer in my current band actually hears complete songs in his head and sings the ideas to us, which we then flesh out. I think he's written some amazing rock and roll songs

www.myspace.com/mojogurus

I just think music without the boundaries of say something like a vision of a story or an emotion it is trying to capture might not yield so eaily, but it still could.

I like the sound of this "hear the whole thing in my head" guy.

It depends what your trying to do to the listener. If you're trying to shake them up, then maybe you use a different technique.

I'd like to know how some of the best songs were made.

I just think music without the boundaries of say something like a vision of a story or an emotion it is trying to capture might not yield so eaily, but it still could.

I like the sound of this "hear the whole thing in my head" guy.

It depends what your trying to do to the listener. If you're trying to shake them up, then maybe you use a different technique.

I'd like to know how some of the best songs were made.

the answer to that is whatever comes first. you get a good riff you expand on that and put words to it, you get a couple of good lines you build a tune around it.

I´ve always wrote the music first. But writing the lyrics first feels to me like more true art sort of.. I guess the song will end up being more "honest". Those words u wrote is what the whole expression is based on.

You can get alot of expression out of someones music, there can be so much expression in an instrumental.

Music then lyrics because its alot harder to fit a song around the words than to make the words go with the song. I can hardly write good lyrics with no music piece to write over...but then as soon as i hear the song all the lyrics just come rushing out, tho sometimes if you write lyrics with no music you might be lucky enough for them to fit with a song you wrote after.

well every time I take a walk alone in the night those songs just pop into my head.. never really got anything done by them because I don't have a band and I suck at trying to pick up songs that I got in my head.. probably the same thing as what happens to that "hear the whole thing in his head" guy