Nevermind vs. Ten vs. The Black Album vs. the UYI

Vincent Vega

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

and ten sucks.

:no:

ok, maybe crap is a harsh indictment but...i dunno, i find it lyrically a little too...pretencious?? a dilute version of pretencious maybe, somewhere lower on the pretencious totem pole than out and out pretencious?

Like affected? It's not my favorite by them by a long shot, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

(I refuse to consider the UYI's one record for any purpose)

only really remember Ten well and it just has the most trite lyrics. i've always maintained that the absolute best of rock n roll lyrics only really amount to very cheap third rate attempts at poetry and i've always thought that the best rock lyricists have been the people who have understood that and consequently made fun of songwriting to some degree (a'la Kurt Cobain or John Lennon) and oftentimes (though by no means always) allowed music to take the lead. and rock lyricists that make an effort to write good lyrics more often than not come off REALLY badly, really pretencious and just...stale. example:

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you

What you thought was your daddy was nothin' but a...

While you were sittin' home alone at age thirteen

Your real daddy was dyin', sorry you didn't see him, but I'm glad we talked...

Oh I, oh, I'm still alive

Hey, I, I, oh, I'm still alive

Hey I, oh, I'm still alive

see now that to me is really really REALLY corny , really 3rd rate.

I always considered Ten to have some of the best lyrics I've ever heard, when I discovered Ten I was looking for something new, something with: Great lyrics, great instrumentals, great vocals. And I found all 3 things on that album, when I hear those specific lyrics I think "Fuck, that really happened to that guy", the raw emotion of that song alone is enough to make me appreciate it, but Alive is just a rock masterpiece, with it's infectious chorus, sweeping riffs and rampant solo it seems to me like a very unique and fresh song.

come on man, you know better than that!! its a well aimed heartstring puller and i hate those. i'd rather someone just present me with a series of images and let my sensibilities piece them together into whatever emotion they proliferate. that there is a wretchedly obvious attempt where concious or unconcious of currying sympathy and as a performer you should have more respect than to spoonfeed a listener like that. having said that, maybe the artists i listen to are vague and pretencious, i dunno, could be either, damned if i know.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and ten sucks.

ok, maybe crap is a harsh indictment but...i dunno, i find it lyrically a little too...pretencious?? a dilute version of pretencious maybe, somewhere lower on the pretencious totem pole than out and out pretencious?

Like affected? It's not my favorite by them by a long shot, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

only really remember Ten well and it just has the most trite lyrics. i've always maintained that the absolute best of rock n roll lyrics only really amount to very cheap third rate attempts at poetry and i've always thought that the best rock lyricists have been the people who have understood that and consequently made fun of songwriting to some degree (a'la Kurt Cobain or John Lennon) and oftentimes (though by no means always) allowed music to take the lead. and rock lyricists that make an effort to write good lyrics more often than not come off REALLY badly, really pretencious and just...stale. example:

I always considered Ten to have some of the best lyrics I've ever heard, when I discovered Ten I was looking for something new, something with: Great lyrics, great instrumentals, great vocals. And I found all 3 things on that album, when I hear those specific lyrics I think "Fuck, that really happened to that guy", the raw emotion of that song alone is enough to make me appreciate it, but Alive is just a rock masterpiece, with it's infectious chorus, sweeping riffs and rampant solo it seems to me like a very unique and fresh song.

come on man, you know better than that!! its a well aimed heartstring puller and i hate those. i'd rather someone just present me with a series of images and let my sensibilities piece them together into whatever emotion they proliferate. that there is a wretchedly obvious attempt where concious or unconcious of currying sympathy and as a performer you should have more respect than to spoonfeed a listener like that. having said that, maybe the artists i listen to are vague and pretencious, i dunno, could be either, damned if i know.

Vedder's lyrics on Ten are how I think lyrics should be written, out of real life experience and emotion, mostly because that's how I write lyrics, I don't write about vague concepts or lyrics that are to be interpreted by the listener, I write about what gets my emotions flowing just as Vedder did. Alive is a heartstring puller because it's about a tragic life, I could not pick a more suitable subject for a song than life.

and ten sucks.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

Vedder's lyrics on Ten are how I think lyrics should be written, out of real life experience and emotion, mostly because that's how I write lyrics, I don't write about vague concepts or lyrics that are to be interpreted by the listener, I write about what gets my emotions flowing just as Vedder did. Alive is a heartstring puller because it's about a tragic life, I could not pick a more suitable subject for a song than life.

ok look, Something In The Way is based on real life experience and emotion and gets emotions flowing but it doesnt have to be like...i dunno i figure a writer with talent doesnt always need to bash you over the head with his subject matter. Axl is guilty of this too actually. i like a lot of plain speaking music too i just dont think Vedder pulls it off very well at all :lol:

ok look, Something In The Way is based on real life experience

I always thought that song was just crap :lol:

i think its as close to perfect as you can get without being 5'11 with long blonde hair, tig ol' bitties and and a cooch tight as a snare drum :lol:

ok look, Something In The Way is based on real life experience

I always thought that song was just crap :lol:

i think its as close to perfect as you can get without being 5'11 with long blonde hair, tig ol' bitties and and a cooch tight as a snare drum :lol:

Alright fair enough :rofl-lol:

and ten sucks.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

That to me is a stripped down confessional (those are facts from his life). He sometimes has a problem with earnestness, but overall, he's one of the better lyricists of modern music.

and ten sucks.

1. Nevermind

2. UYI I

3. Ten

4. UYI II

5. The Black Album

That to me is a stripped down confessional (those are facts from his life). He sometimes has a problem with earnestness, but overall, he's one of the better lyricists of modern music.

i guess its just a matter of taste, there is the argument that the kind of songwriting i like is really self aware too, i think its an act of design and therefore its all pretty self aware, im just pickin peanuts out of poop really. i just...i dunno, in reference to the particular vedder quote, sounds like a million other songs i've heard lyrically, i just like things to be a little different, holds my attention better i guess :)