My Audition for 'Velvet Revolver'.....

20 hours ago, annablue said:

Really liked the track with no title! I never got into Velvet Revolver because I was never a big Scott Weiland fan and my opinion of Sorum is pretty low too. I liked what I heard from you. Keep us in the loop on what your future venture is? or is there a way to follow you? Twitter or something? Was so great to come across your post. Hope everyone here gets a chance to see it!

I loved Scott in STP, but didn't really like what he did with VR.  I dug "Slither" and "Fall to Pieces" a bit, but not much else really did it for me. 

I actually suffered two pretty big near brushes with success and big defeats in a row: this one, and almost right after I was taken on by a huge manager, that lasted about a year, and it's a big mess of a story itself, and needless to say it didn't work out.  That kind of put me in a funk for quite a while, but eventually I started working on material and a project again (which I called "Cole Gentles' Symphonic Rock Revival", as my solo work is generally highly orchestrated), and the material morphed into a rock opera, which turned into an animated rock opera, and which I've now been working on for close to 10 years.  It's virtually fully recorded (I play all the piano, guitars, bass, all vocals... including choir stuff), all real orchestrations (no synths... I'm a self-taught composer and I only use live players) with the exception of a few vocal parts that my producers want to try to bring in some 'names' on when the animation is complete (I'm animating the entire thing myself.... it's a nightmare, but it's going well, so I trudge on...).  I like to think it will finally be complete in two years, but realistically, it could be closer to 4 for a variety of reasons. 

There are various other songs from various demos I've done over the years on my soundcloud.... some better performances than others, but all songs I'm proud of from a writing standpoint.  The song "60s Summer Heartbreak" on there is in the opera, and, as it so happens, a vastly more basic demo of that song, and a song also on my soundcloud page I'm proud of called "One Last Lullaby" (which I also made a cute little animated Halloween video for on youtube... though this does _not_ represent _at all_ what the animation of the opera will look like), appeared in _very_ stripped down form as two of the 3 songs on the demo I originally gave to Slash, Duff, and Matt which is what sparked their interest in me.

Anyway, that was probably too much info, but there ya go.  I do have a personal facebook page (search for Cole James Gentles) and an 'artist' page (Cole Gentles... which I rarely post to) and accept friend requests, but I'd warn anyone wishing to 'friend' me there that I sometimes get preeeetty political in that I actually spend (or at least have spent in the past) a good portion of my spare time studying economics and political philosophy.  I'm a 'voluntarist', or, to put it more confusingly, a 'libertarian anarcho-capitalist', soooo I could annoy you with my occassional post on those subjects. ;)

On 8/14/2016 at 7:34 PM, AxlCole said:

Anyway, that was probably too much info, but there ya go.  I do have a personal facebook page (search for Cole James Gentles) and an 'artist' page (Cole Gentles... which I rarely post to) and accept friend requests, but I'd warn anyone wishing to 'friend' me there that I sometimes get preeeetty political in that I actually spend (or at least have spent in the past) a good portion of my spare time studying economics and political philosophy.  I'm a 'voluntarist', or, to put it more confusingly, a 'libertarian anarcho-capitalist', soooo I could annoy you with my occassional post on those subjects. ;)

Sounds great! I like to be annoyed on occasion! The world also needs more rock operas - glad you're contributing to that cause. 

• Like 1