What is Rock N' Roll to You?

Memnoch The Devil

To be politically correct - the new music wave that started in the '50s with guys like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. What really pops into my mind first, though, is basically rock music and its subgenres like hard rock, psychedelic rock, etc.

Rock n' roll is any music that when you listen to it you feel different, the hairs on your neck stand up, you can't help but move to the music (if only slightly, and I'm not being clichéd) and you just wanna go and fucking do something else, and you maybe even decide to change your life there & then, if only for the duration of that song.

It's a mood/attitude, not so much a genre.

Guest deleted_19765
1,2, or 3 Electric guitars, electric bass guitar, drums and sometimes piano/keyboards.

Lyrics dealing with sex/love/heartbreak and or drugs/alcohol/fighting/breaking-the-law.

That's Rock N' Roll to me.

Or Blues, or Country...

Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly. Its youth culture basically, the birth of the first international (and that bits important, international) youth culture. I say this because musically rock n roll is a very flimsy definition as i am increasingly finding, most definitions of musical styles are. Kids went crazy about Jazz and Bebop, it jus didnt have the television to fly the shit over oceans and get to as many people. Kids just want an excuse to get together and rock n roll was the first time a whole lot of motherfuckers got the chance...internationally. It has more to do with Elvis on Ed Sullivan and The Beatles stepping off the plane into America than anything else. Cuz the music was there before and even half the same amount of people didnt give a shit.

What is rock n roll? i dunno, what is life? :rofl-lol: you'd answer your question quicker by living it rather than thinking about it :) maybe?