Tori Amos

JudasReturns

I think Tori Amos and Axl Rose have a lot in common.

• Small town upbringing
  • Passion for and similar style of piano playing
  • Fantastic lyricists
  • Successful
  • Foxy
  • Nuts
  • Discuss

Matt Sorum

Welcome Matt

Matt Sorum was a Mission Viejo, California boy, a surfing community some 60 miles south of Los Angeles. He played drums in high school jazz ensembles and marching bands before discovering the lure of Hollywood at the age of 15 with a band he formed called Prophecy. He packed up and moved there for good after his high school graduation. Always a hustler, he built a reputation jamming around town on open stage nights and eventually landed an ever-increasing number of paying gigs, juggling sessions and tours with acts ranging from Shaun Cassidy to Belinda Carlisle to King Solomon Burke.

The drummer was playing with a band in an airport hotel bar when he met the then-unknown Tori (Ellen) Amos who was doing a solo lounge performance in the hotel’s piano bar. He in turn introduced her to Steve Caton, and they formed a rock act called Y Kant Tori Read. They only played one gig, but they cut a lot of demos and landed a deal with Atlantic resulting in the recording of a self-titled album in 1987. The cover featured a sexed up Amos looking like a cross between Pat Benatar and a heavy metal poster queen, a far cry from the artsy solo singer-songwriter who hit the big-time three years later. At the time, they only sold a few thousand copies and Y Kan't Tori Read, already on the fritz, fizzled.

To this day Amos distances herself from the venture with a vengeance.

Sorum moved on to another recording project the same year, the Jeff Paris Band, but it too was soon forgotten.

In 1988, he auditioned and won the slot of replacement drummer for the Cult. He was on the road with them for a year-and-a-half before the band finished their touring cycle and went on hiatus, putting Sorum out of a job.

Towards the end of their run, Slash saw them perform at a show in Los Angeles. That was the beginning of the end for Steven Adler, says a source close to Slash. “Slash went and found Matt at a Cult concert and wanted him in the band instantly.”

Axl wasn’t so sure.

“Axl probably wasn't really with the idea of getting Matt,” observes Marc Canter. “He thought the image didn't fit. Axl wasn’t a hundred percent, Slash just ended up getting his way on that one. But Matt came through in the studio.”

They began recording after a month of rehearsing. Sorum’s first recording was Knockin ‘ On Heaven’s Door for the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

He played his first live show January 20, 1991, at the giant Rock in Rio festival in Rio de Janeiro.

Sorum says he took to the ‘big rock show excesses’ like a duck to water.

“Guns 'N Roses wasn't about playing, it was the party. Being on stage that's where work came in. Playing was a day at the office.”

In spite of being a newbie, the cocky Sorum was rarely intimidated by Rose, the rare occasions they got to interact, anyway.

“He had a certain way of doing things and you just couldn’t do anything about it.,” Sorum told Jonny Cragg. “ He had his dressing room and we had ours. We only knew when we were gonna play when he was ready. We never had set lists and I’d always get the nod from Axl which song we were about to play, and I’d relay it to the rest of the guys.

“Axl’s security chief would always tell me which songs he wanted to start with and I’d oblige as the lights went up. One night we're playing Giants Stadium, New York, riding a golf cart to the stage and his guy tells me ‘Jungle’/Night Train'/ 'Brownstone', but I don't hear 'Night Train'. So I start the intro to 'Brownstone' outta Jungle, and Axl's lookin' at me and I'm like, 'just play the song, man'. Then Axl blows his whistle and says. 'Stop the song' on the mic. We stop, I ram my stick through the bass drum skin and flip Axl the bird.

“I was mad for the rest of the night. When Billy moans about Ian, I'm like, 'Ian's a walk in the park after what I've been through!"'

Edited by snooze72