Sweet child O' theirs: Omaha boy meets Guns N' Roses - Axl Mention

Tabitha27

By Kevin Coffey | World-Herald staff writer 06/09/2013 1:00 AM

For a young guitarist, the chance to meet Guns N' Roses was too good to pass up.

Aidan Fisher, 10, has played guitar for a few years, and his skills have led to gigs playing the national anthem at Werner Park.

On Sunday, Aidan and his father, Chris Fisher, traveled from Omaha to Kansas City, Mo., to see the rock band play such songs as "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child O' Mine." Part of the day involved an attempt to track down the musicians, which was eventually successful when the Fishers met the band at their hotel and posed for pictures with the group.

Sunday night at the Midland Theatre, Aidan got to meet them again, but the second time was onstage in front of a reported crowd of 1,800.

"(Axl) Rose spent much of his time on stage in motion and seemed to be having a good time, a mood that spread to his band and the crowd," read a review from the Kansas City Star.

Aidan and his dad were in the front row for the night's action, and GNR bassist Tommy Stinson (formerly of the Replacements) got picks from each guitar player and handed them to the boy.

"I was really impressed how nice and polite they are," Chris Fisher said. "Everybody was very welcoming. They probably thought it was pretty cool that an old man like me was taking his son to see Guns N' Roses."

As the band launched into its last song, "Paradise City," the group's head of security approached the Fishers and said, "Axl would like to invite the boy onstage."

Aidan stood with the whole band - between Axl and guitarist DJ Ashba - and took a bow with them to close out the concert.

After coming home, Aidan, who takes guitar lessons at School of Rock in Omaha, barely stopped playing his guitar Monday.

"He's loving it," his dad said.

http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_29966/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=boPk3NvG

Edited by Tabitha27