Fingerstyle & Chicken-Pickin'??

Is chicken-pickin' a form of fingerstyle?

And for example, when playing Stairway To Heaven, that is played in fingerstyle but what fingers do you use? Is it just whatever you want to use?

Thumb for EAD strings, finger n. 1 for G-string, n. 2 for B, n. 3 for E. That's how I do it. ;)

Is chicken-pickin' a form of fingerstyle?

And for example, when playing Stairway To Heaven, that is played in fingerstyle but what fingers do you use? Is it just whatever you want to use?

Thumb for EAD strings, finger n. 1 for G-string, n. 2 for B, n. 3 for E. That's how I do it. ;)

Cheers mate

It's used a bit in rock for shredders who want to get those extra notes thrown in.

I konw Zakk Wylde does it - shreds with the pick and then uses his middle, ring and pinky fingers to pick the other strings. I've never tried it so don't know how hard it is.

there is no finger picking shredding! no one can play that clean that fast. (well, as of yet)

to answer your question about chicken picking, you kinda scrape the pick over the strings to get this kinda wierd dull sound, (check out bucket's solos when he switches to clean)

I find it harder to hit strings with pick say if i was playing the top string opena few times then id play the 7th on the 2nd string id probly hit the 1st string again instead o hitting the 2nd string...

so i play with my fingers most o the time

exactly, even if you rest your hand at the end of the strings on the bottom of the guitar body you still can never be 100% accurate. and it doesn't hurt your fingers either, unless you play too much which then you use superglue.

I don't use a pick anymore. I used to but when I learned stairway I needed two fingers, (thumb and 1st) but then I see I never needed to use it anymore.

You cant use your fingers for certain styles though

Try playing thrash with your fingers.

I know, I catch my fingers. But I don't ever play it so it's ok.

:monkey:

I'd encourage you to practise using a pick. Not exclusively, but just spend some time getting used to it because it's a great skill to have (albeit not absolutely necessary though as Mark Knopfler kicks serious SERIOUS ass with his fingers...SERIOUS!).

If and when you get a 12-string, you'll be glad you learned to use a pick.

I'd encourage you to practise using a pick. Not exclusively, but just spend some time getting used to it because it's a great skill to have (albeit not absolutely necessary though as Mark Knopfler kicks serious SERIOUS ass with his fingers...SERIOUS!).

If and when you get a 12-string, you'll be glad you learned to use a pick.

True words.

Also playing with your finger it can sound dull and not cut through the mix aswell, particulary if your using alot of distortion with humbucker it will create a very mushy tone.

But yeah, under clean and light overdrive fingerpicking is awesome, and essentual for Jazz too.