Record Label Confusion?

bac102205

This wasn't under the FAQ's so can someone clear this up for me?

I know GN'R were signed to Geffen Records way, way back.

I know recently, Axl inked a deal with Sanctuary for alot of money.

When Chinese Democracy does come out, will it be a Sanctuary Release or will Geffen still be a part of the picture?

Geffen is the record label and Sanctuary is the management. (Sanctuary has two divisions record label and artist management)

The deal Axl signed with Santuary was music publishing rights, so anything about lyrics or Music books Sanctuary gets dibbs, possibly a book as well? not sure what it encompasses. Apparent S&D weren't too happy about it.

Edited by Neemo

Geffen is the record label and santuary is the management.

The deal Axl signed with Santuary was music publishing rights, so anything about lyrics or Music books Sanctuary gets dibbs, possibly a book as well? not sure what it encompasses. Apparent S&D weren't too happy about it.

All true. In addition, publishing rights groups manage the "use" of the music. So any music used for commericials, video games, movies, etc (or, at least, Axl's part of it) would be managed by Sanctuary's publishing arm.

CD will be a Universal Records Group/Interscope/Geffen release. They are still the label (AFAWK).

Pilferk what do you think of this idea?

Axl has been talked about 3 albums, right? Is it possible that CD will come out on Geffen and if that is the last album on GnR's Geffen contract then they move to Sanctuary as their Label? Cuz that could speed up the wait between the next albums and possibly be a reason for part of the delay? (Re, why they are working on 32 songs and not only 13) just an idea I had cuz of this thread.

Like maybe Merck doesn't really want Geffen to get all the record sales when Sanctuary could get a slice?

Edited by Neemo

Pilferk what do you think of this idea?

Axl has been talked about 3 albums, right? Is it possible that CD will come out on Geffen and if that is the last album on GnR's Geffen contract then they move to Sanctuary as their Label? Cuz that could speed up the wait between the next albums and possibly be a reason for part of the delay? (Re, why they are working on 32 songs and not only 13) just an idea I had cuz of this thread.

Like maybe Merck doesn't really want Geffen to get all the record sales when Sanctuary could get a slice?

I THINK the contract they signed back in the late 90's called for 3 albums of original material, 1 GH, and 1 Live Album. I'm pretty sure that was it. That was really why Interscope won in the lawsuit Axl filed to stop GH. The album was contractually obligated.

That being said, any contract can be negotiated out of, provided both parties are willing.

That being said, any contract can be negotiated out of, provided both parties are willing.

Ah but Guns was a Monster for record sales, so why would a company be "willing" to let go one of their biggest draws?

So by your #'s 3 orig albums, 1 GH and 1 Live

UYI 1&2, GH, Live Era have been released on that contract, so that leaves one album left.

That being said, once CD is released, Guns may very well migrate to a new label, re: Sanctuary???

Or are you saying that The contract was signed after UYI's?

Edited by Neemo

Ah but Guns was a Monster for record sales, so why would a company be "willing" to let go one of their biggest draws?

So by your #'s 3 orig albums, 1 GH and 1 Live

UYI 1&2, GH, Live Era have been released on that contract, so that leaves one album left.

That being said, once CD is released, Guns may very well migrate to a new label, re: Sanctuary???

Or are you saying that The contract was signed after UYI's?

Nope, only Live Era and GH have been released on the current contract. UYI 1&2 predates it. They signed the new contract just before Oh My God, I think....back in '98 or '99.

Why let Guns go? Because you've sunk ungodly amounts of money into them for production and, if you can be assured of getting that, plus a bit more, back rather than risking (sales of new GnR material is an unknown) not getting it back...you might take it. If you do, you don't have to front the cost of promotion, distribution, packaging, and manufacturing/pressing. Granted, you also don't have the opportunity for a huge gain, either. But that's the point: it's all about how big the risk is, and how likely the return on investment is. If CD is a HUGE success, I'd say that GnR are pretty locked in for the next 2 records (which might, actually, be why Axl is working on all 3 at the same time). If not, and it's only moderately successful, or not commercially successful at all....well, you never know.

Now, I'm not saying that Geffen/Interscop/Universal has any desire to actually negotiate out of the contract. But you never know...

Cool, thanks for the info pilferk ;)

Hmmm, I wonder why Axl would tie up that many albums at once, especially when he knew his career was in a bit of a limbo at the time. :question:

Future financial security would be my guess. And it may have been hard to reestablish a record contract after being out of the biz for a dozen years? (eg. I like that band Days of the New and they released 3 albums then went on a hiatus and now a fourth albums is done but Travis Meeks can't find a label.)

Edited by Neemo

Cool, thanks for the info pilferk ;)

Hmmm, I wonder why Axl would tie up that many albums at once, especially when he knew his career was in a bit of a limbo at the time. :question:

The situation was there was one more album due on the old contract. Axl wanted to renegoatiate because of the pretty big lineup changes and band uncertainty and Universal/Geffen/Interscope wanted, in return, a commitment for more material. So they negotiated a new contract that got them both what they wanted. Axl agreed to more material, the label agreed to more (maybe unlimited...who knows...but it sure seems like they were generous on the time front) time and money while Axl worked out the kinks.

The situation was there was one more album due on the old contract.

Ah see, that's where I got messed up. Cuz i thought it was only one more on the contract.

Axl agreed to more material, the label agreed to more (maybe unlimited...who knows...but it sure seems like they were generous on the time front) time and money while Axl worked out the kinks.

Again, thanks for the info Pilferk. I think everyone can agree that Geffen gave an inch and Axl took a mile as far as the time thing goes :D Hell the money thing too for that matter. $13,000,000 :blink: sheesh. I wish my boss would front me that kinda dough :rofl-lol:

Edited by Neemo

mmmm hate to stir the shit but I'm just in a shit stirring mood........

remember the false release date from AMAZON? who counted the pre-orders??? and who measured them? Who wanted to know? why did it happen?????

something else for you guys to speculate........and argue about....

amused to death

syd barrett

:ph34r:

remember the false release date from AMAZON? who counted the pre-orders??? and who measured them? Who wanted to know? why did it happen?????

amused to death

syd barrett

yea it got up to like top 400 didnt it? and that was without any advertisement

suspicious

amused to death

syd barrett

that was a fun couple of days rock3

Again, thanks for the info Pilferk. I think everyone can agree that Geffen gave an inch and Axl took a mile as far as the time thing goes :D Hell the money thing too for that matter. $13,000,000 :blink: sheesh. I wish my boss would front me that kinda dough :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol:

Maybe when your boss has made $80,000,000+ off your work they'd consider it.