Newcastle gig - a fan's view

StAlne

Before you all shoot me down in flames...

I've been listening to GnR since 1988. Seen old GnR twice, and new GnR twice.

I'd also like to state that I have nothing but utter contempt for the idiot that threw something at Axl on Wednesday night .. that is totally unacceptable!!!

Taking the above into consideration here's my opinion on the gig (or the end of it!).

On the whole I really enjoyed the gig. First opportunity for my 3 kids to watch GnR live so was really looking forward to it. Quite an expensive night giving that I had bought 6 tickets . kids, cousin, friend ....

Disappointed that more new stuff wasn't played as I'm under the impression that this tour is to promote the new cd (maybe I'm wrong).

However what happened at the end took the shine off the whole gig. As I stated above, throwing stuff at the stage and artists is completely unacceptable.

I don't believe that this one incident should have resulted in the show being cut short.

By walking out on thousands of fans who'd paid big money Axl let that one idiot win ... as usual GnR fans lost out. Fans who have to put up with years of disinformation/ complete lack of information about the band they love. Fans who stick with the frontman despite the band disintergrating around him.

I'm a big Axl fan and admire him as a frontman .. I can't admire the petty tantrum though that should be beyond a man of his age.

I'll always be a fan of GnR, I'll always play Appetite in my car, I'll buy Chinese Democracy when it eventually appears.

Will I ever go and see the band live again ...?

I don't honestly know that I would.

Feel free to shoot me down but if you were there you'll appreciate the utter disappointment felt by the whole crowd .. denied a finale they desreve and have waited so long for.

How could GnR repay the loyalty shown by these fans? Would GnR even bother?

Why are people acting like this big tragedy happened on wednesday night?

They didn't play one song. It's not as if the band didn't turn up or Axl left half way through the show, they didn't play one song and everyone is acting like they were robbed.

It was a good show and this ''issue'' is overshadowing that fact.

Cant everyone get over the fact that they didn't play Paradise City?

Here is a theory that I had about them not playing Paradise City.....

They simply didn't have time. Did anyone think of that?

They were playing Nightrain at around 12:15am they were late enough as it was, but having to go offstage for a while and then returning really overstepped their time limit. I heard that Newcastle Metro Radio Arena had a curfew for all bands at 11:00!

Before you all shoot me down in flames...

I've been listening to GnR since 1988. Seen old GnR twice, and new GnR twice.

I'd also like to state that I have nothing but utter contempt for the idiot that threw something at Axl on Wednesday night .. that is totally unacceptable!!!

Taking the above into consideration here's my opinion on the gig (or the end of it!).

On the whole I really enjoyed the gig. First opportunity for my 3 kids to watch GnR live so was really looking forward to it. Quite an expensive night giving that I had bought 6 tickets . kids, cousin, friend ....

Disappointed that more new stuff wasn't played as I'm under the impression that this tour is to promote the new cd (maybe I'm wrong).

However what happened at the end took the shine off the whole gig. As I stated above, throwing stuff at the stage and artists is completely unacceptable.

I don't believe that this one incident should have resulted in the show being cut short.

By walking out on thousands of fans who'd paid big money Axl let that one idiot win ... as usual GnR fans lost out. Fans who have to put up with years of disinformation/ complete lack of information about the band they love. Fans who stick with the frontman despite the band disintergrating around him.

I'm a big Axl fan and admire him as a frontman .. I can't admire the petty tantrum though that should be beyond a man of his age.

I'll always be a fan of GnR, I'll always play Appetite in my car, I'll buy Chinese Democracy when it eventually appears.

Will I ever go and see the band live again ...?

I don't honestly know that I would.

Feel free to shoot me down but if you were there you'll appreciate the utter disappointment felt by the whole crowd .. denied a finale they desreve and have waited so long for.

How could GnR repay the loyalty shown by these fans? Would GnR even bother?

Don't worry here is a present

mr.Q

P.S. Axl did right not finishing the show, you were lucky he finished nightrain

Edited by mr.Q

Yep...he finished the show proper with Nightrain, they just didn't play the encore. They're not the first band to not play an encore at a show.

Encore is to reward the fans, and clearly Axl didn't think the fans there deserved one.

Yep. That what I was going to say. Technically, no one has to do an encore. Be happy that he didn't leave earlier.

For Christ sake, if someone threw a coin, bottle or anything at me when I was trying to sing I would leave.

OK we pay the money to see the band but this does not entitle people to abuse them.

Would you stand there and let idiots throw things at you? If Axl did it to the crowd the press would crucify him.

So he didn't do one song, big deal at least he turned up, did a great show and after being abused he walked away, who wouldn't???

We have waited over 10 years for Axl to tour again and instead of enjoying it some people are still not happy, perhaps he should hide way again!

still i agree with him the band should have finished the bloody show... people there had waited atleast 13 years for them to re apear in the area and they didnt even finish the show... WOW one thing hit the stage...

at download they had bottles launched at them n they still finished hes a 44 year old man needs to grow up he may be rock n roll but hes not rock n roll if he disapoints his fans

just needed to say that, but the gig was amazing tho they played well through out solid n confident and just amazing.. but still the entire croud lose out because of ONE stupid moron (most likely some emo or charv) (if it was a guy wearing a bullet for my val shirt id personly make it my mission to hunt him down)

one guy = the entire 9,000+ night become a disapointment at the end where there expecting one of guns n roses most well known most loved song not be played as a finale

the lack of new songs too was abit disapointing but..i personaly think it may be that they wonna practise them more before performing them to an audience or the simple fact not everyone knows the words so it might make a silence when there played

the lack of new songs didnt bother me to much just the lack of respect to the REST of axls REAL fans who dont throw crap at the stage was abit disapointing

and dont none of you people come here like OMG it was one song ... because i know you die hard guns fans would also truly be disapointed if you where in the same situation and you would feel like killing the idiot who ruined it by throwing stuff

the people who mostly winge back saying omg it was one song! are people who have seen previous shows and have been amazed because they got a full show

oh and some americans who are like " you damn brits ruin everything wha wha wha" theres plenty of things amercians have done thats idiotic but i dont whack at them i respect any guns fan because they love the band i love!

and noone can prove thigns go wrong at shows was caused by a british person for all you know it was some german (not putting anything on germans there :P)

anyways guys thats my opinion also flame me if you will but we all have our own opinions n if you dont like it then FECK OFF

On the whole I expected most of you to say words to the effect "wow big deal he missed ONE SONG!".

You're missing the point though!

The show up until that point was great - I agree completely.

The point that I was trying to make was that thousands of fans shouldn't have suffered because of one idiot who clearly ISN'T a fan! And Axl should be wise enough to recognise that. And I wouldn't have been happy if someone threw stuff at me if I was on stage - fair point - but maybe I would have asked security to go in and sort it!

As for the remark that at least he showed up!!! So he should when thousands of people have paid good money (£37.50 per ticket) to see a FULL show!

Don't get me wrong .. I've always backed him and put up with the dreadful way fans have been kept in the dark for years but I think that on this occasion Axl's actions took the shine off the show not just for me - I'm not over-reacting here - but for 90% of the audience (maybe you needed to be there to appreciate the disappointment!).

You don't have to agree with me - it's just my opinion - but it has definitely soured my opinion of GnR.

Well i was there on wednesday night at newcastle and can honestly say they were excellent and i was sitting/standing right by the stage!

Sebastian Bach was great aswell he was standing at the side of the stage when guns were on and singing all of the words to their songs. I shouted and waved at him and he waved back. didnt think much of bullet though my 15 yr old son who was with me loved them though.

When axl came on stage i got goosepimples all over i just couldnt believe i was there . Not playing paradise city didnt spoil it for me at all how can one song spoil a nite like that rock3

got loads of photos will post them when i figure out how !!!!!

Edited by mrsaxlrose

I said it was lucky he showed up because we travelled up to Manchester in 1992, got to Maine Road and was told the gig was cancelled because at the time Axl had had a tiff with his then girlfriend Stephanie, so every time I set out for a Gn'R gig now I am always worried that someone has pissed him off and he won't show up. Our gig was re-scheduled for a later date and we all travelled up to Manchester again and he did show up, he had the nerve to dedicate 'Patience' to us. Did he care that we had paid twice for coach fares had to take extra leave from work? No, and to tell the truth when he came out on stage neither did we. He is an enigma but I love him inspite or despite of this. We don't know how many more tours he will do so I am just happy we have him now.

Okay .. in light of the press release (see other threads) regarding the Newcastle gig I can understand why the band left (if the events of the press release did happen). The fact that management felt it necessary to make a statement smells of damage limitation though, in my opinion.

If Axl was hit twice by objects I completely agree that he had every right to leave.

HOWEVER it would have been nice for Axl/the band to acknowledge the 11,000 true fans who behaved superbly and showed the band great support on the night - and I don't mean in a press release .. I mean there and then on Wednesday night!

This doesn't change my opinion of the band - they still rock - but I still find the whole thing disheartening!

i was there on wednesday and it was out of this world they're my favourite band ever and was too unlucky to only be a kid wen they wer around so ive been looking forward to this all my life and it was amazing! from the welcome to the jungle intro to the guitarist playing the full song of dont cry on his own (highlight of the show for me). i dont think the incident was that big a deal, i wudnt stand there and take gettin abused on stage fro :) m some poxy geordie chav. he did right in leaving and we're lucky he finished nightrain! yes i'm gutted they didnt play paradise but all they other songs were amazing and well performed, axl's voice as good as ever. i think everyone should stop complaining and appreciate the fact this 44yr old has put in the effort for the fans! no1 else but the fans! and to be repaid like tht is something he doesnt deserve! Bring on Chinese Democracy....

Tom