AXL Not Smelling Like A Rose To Fans

Midnight Gunner2

I'm 31. I didn't get into GNR untill the UYI's came out. Am I a newcomer?

By the time UYI came out Kurt Owned the youth of America and paved the way for Alice in Chains, P-Jam, Alannis Mosisette etc. I am not claiming to be any better than anyone. I just remember the video, the energy, the fucking Glam Bands looks so futile. On stage they were so loose, played from the hip and just didnt fucking care if they missed a note or a lyric, they just kept going . Axl and Slash hypnotized the fucking industry, much I imagine the way that Paul, Ringo,John and George did. It was crazy. Through it all they has a coolness, and I no fear attitude. Axl was like 150 pounds when he started and his presence was huge.

AXL Not Smelling Like A Rose To Fans - Nov. 7, 2006

Several disappointed GUNS N' ROSES fans spoke to the Portland Press Herald about the group's cancellation of its concert at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland Monday (Nov. 6), 2 1/2 hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

The unexplained cancellation angered fans, many of whom pinned the decision on GUNS N' ROSES lead singer Axl Rose, who has a reputation for calling off shows.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert," said 17-year-old Misty McAuliffe of Rockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight black outfit and a GUNS N' ROSES belt buckle.

Fans like McAuliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Rose-bashing Monday night.

While fans griped outside, a crew of dozens worked inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers and all — by 5:30 p.m., when GUNS N' ROSES' promoter told the venue's manager the show was off.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did not give a reason for the decision.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for 29 years, said he could remember only one or two other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

He said he scrambled to tell local television and radio stations about the decision in hopes some fans would get the word before leaving for the concert.

Approximately 3,400 fans bought tickets for the show; Crane said the venue could've accommodated around 6,500 spectators Monday. Tickets were $65, and vendors will give refunds beginning today at the box office.

Chris Kirby, 39, of New Gloucester said a parking garage attendant in Portland told him the show was canceled. Kirby brought his son, stepson and one of the boys' friends with him to the show.

The four stood outside the civic center around 6:15 p.m. Monday when a passerby jokingly asked, "Where's Axl?"

"He better be far, far away," Kirby said, laughing.

Jonni Tegarden, 58, of Rumford said she attended the show at the Meadowlands Sunday and couldn't believe the Portland concert was canceled.

"(Rose) was in a really good mood last night," said Tegarden, who was once president of California-based Ruthless Management and said she has known the singer for years.

Rose, who has been going from city to city by plane during the tour, did not come to Portland, the civic center's Crane said.

Dont wanna sound like a ass, but can we drop this????? concerts have been cancelled before, and btw a 17 year old isnt a die hard GNR fan. They are the newcomers, she will have plenty of time to see concerts.

You fucking dumb ass you don't have to be an old piece of shit like you to be a die-hard Guns N' Roses fan. I'm 17 and I'm probably more die-hard than you are, so fuck off shit face.

Re:

You fucking dumb ass you don't have to be an old piece of shit like you to be a die-hard Guns N' Roses fan. I'm 17 and I'm probably more die-hard than you are, so fuck off shit face.

You just made my point. Ignorance is bliss kid. Not gonna waste any more time on you. I uselually wish all people could experiance what the original fans saw (and again we are all fans) but I take a small amount of pleasure knowing that you have no idea what you missed. ;)

Edited by Gunzen

I was around for the UYI era, experienced the craze of November Rain and YCBM with Terminator 2 and let me tell you even then at the height of their fame, it was probably nothing compared to that AFD era time period when they were just complete badasses breaking out of the gutter and blowing the crappy glam bands off the stage. That must have been an amazing thing to experience.

The younger fans are far more welcoming to the new iteration of Guns than us oldies...I guess I can't hold it against them. If you actually experienced Guns in their prime...there was nothing really like it. The only other "recent" band I can think of with that kind of raw power, street cred and magnetism probably was Nirvana...

At first I was into the Illusion era because of the greater variety of songs and bigger stage show. But lately I've gained a much bigger appreciation for AFD/Lies era Guns. The bootleg videos do a surprisingly good job of translating I think what it was like to see one of those shows. Even the crappy ones with bad audio/video do the trick - there is something about the poor recording that gives off a certain authenticity. Of course it's not the same as being there, but I think the true essence of that band is captured quite well; that is five badasses who were out to rock and drink and make a name for themselves and did it from the ground up (i.e. gutting it out day in and day out in whatever small club they could play in on that night, fighting for success and money for that next bottle of Jack, or else they'd have to steal it!).

I didn't really notice GN'R until 1991/92. November Rain and Yesterdays were favourites of mine. I saw how big GN'R really was, even though I wasn't all that into them at the time (aside from those two songs). So I can sort of see the argument, that you had to be old enough to witness it. It gives you a slightly different appreciation of events - it doesn't mean you are any more or less of a fan, just that you can maybe appreciate the time a little bit more; and some folks on the boards seem to have zero appreciation unfortunately.

Nirvana basically took over the world around that time. It's one thing to read about it or see it on VH1 Behind the Music - I mean, I didn't care for Nirvana, but I could see the effect they had. I was in high school at the time and their impact was huge. And of course we saw them spawn the grunge movement. It was massive, and to read or see it on TV now makes it seem smaller than it really was at the time. It really was overwhelming and it's hard to describe it without actually understating it. Grunge was everywhere, and every band was a grunge band. Slight exaggeration there, but only slight.

But yeah...it was in 2002 that I really became a full blown Guns fan. Not sure what that makes me. I had always sort of noticed the band in their prime, liked some of their music, could appreciate them for what they were. I just wish I had made more of a connection with them back then. I missed out on a lot unfortunately.

Edited by KBear

Re: it doesn't mean you are any more or less of a fan, just that you can maybe appreciate the time a little bit more

Please read back on the post, I never judged anyone for not being a fan. Why do people keep typing this. Please show me the quote where I judged commitment or fans. I just said you had to be older than 17 to fully experiance GNR and bitch. I can say I love the White album, but the people who saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan that night know more than I do.

Music is more than video, is is experiance, and what you were doing at the time.

And it wasnt just about the videos man, how many times do i have to say it. It was when you were with your buddies after school smoking, drinking etc and seeing Axl Kill, it just changed us. It made me want to love rock and roll more that Van Halen ever did. It justified or crazy youth. And no bootleg video will ever do that.

All of you younger fans can quite poosibly be more dedicated to the NEW Gnr than me. Though I will have seen then 3 times by Dec 15th. Never said you werent. More power to ya, but man, if you were there. heh, I wish someone (there are probobly few on this forum) would get on this forum and share your experiance when MTV exposed them.

Give it up young gunners, you can have the world, I will be long gone while you are still going strong, but us late thirties guys have GNR, not you. Nuff said

Edited by Gunzen

Re: it doesn't mean you are any more or less of a fan, just that you can maybe appreciate the time a little bit more

Please read back on the post, I never judged anyone for not being a fan. Why do people keep typing this. Please show me the quote where I judged commitment or fans. I just said you had to be older than 17 to fully experiance GNR and bitch. I can say I love the White album, but the people who saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan that night know more than I do.

Maybe read my post again. I was agreeing with you. I only reiterated what you said - that it's not judging anybody as a fan, but being alive during that time helps you appreciate what happened more than you could if you weren't alive or old enough to take it all in.

And about the bootlegs - I also said it's not the same as being there. Of course!! But they do a surprisingly good job of translating the vibe the old band had. I never saw them live until this year, but even if I did get to see them at the CNE in 1991 or whatever year it was...well, how would that have been 100 yards away from the stage? It would have been cool no doubt, but hardly an intimate atmosphere. Hammerstein had that intimacy, it's the main reason why I dropped $700 to fly down there to see one of those shows. I didn't live in LA back in 1987 to see the band perform at the Roxy or Fenders Ballroom or something - too bad, that is true intimacy! The bootlegs of GN'R in those small clubs give you that intimate feeling that for my money would be better than seeing them in real life back in 1991 in a huge football stadium. There is a huge disconnect in that type of environment. Maybe not for you, but for me I can feel some of the magic those 1980s performances had through the videos. It ain't the same as being there I know, that is not what I am trying to say. But they are pretty powerful all things considered and I'm sure is the main reason why the GN'R bootleg community is so vibrant. Anyways, boots are really all we've got left if you want to remember the original band and for me they do the trick.

I don't know, maybe we are a bit different. Being at a gig is cool. It's a place to party. But if it's about feeling the music I tend to prefer listening to Axl and the music intently, and get a good view of the band. Videos are more conducive to this. Being at a show is good for drinking and rocking but the downside is that half the time you're not listening to Axl, you are listening to one thousand of your closest neighbors. So you don't go to a show necessarily for the music, as silly as that may sound. You go for the experience of seeing things firsthand, of being a part of the crowd, soaking in the atmosphere, and to a lesser extent for the music.

I guess my point is that live shows give you a unique experience, and you definitely need to experience it. But the boots give you a different sort of experience, that is if you can get into them.

I was around for the UYI era, experienced the craze of November Rain and YCBM with Terminator 2 and let me tell you even then at the height of their fame, it was probably nothing compared to that AFD era time period when they were just complete badasses breaking out of the gutter and blowing the crappy glam bands off the stage. That must have been an amazing thing to experience.

The younger fans are far more welcoming to the new iteration of Guns than us oldies...I guess I can't hold it against them. If you actually experienced Guns in their prime...there was nothing really like it. The only other "recent" band I can think of with that kind of raw power, street cred and magnetism probably was Nirvana...

At first I was into the Illusion era because of the greater variety of songs and bigger stage show. But lately I've gained a much bigger appreciation for AFD/Lies era Guns. The bootleg videos do a surprisingly good job of translating I think what it was like to see one of those shows. Even the crappy ones with bad audio/video do the trick - there is something about the poor recording that gives off a certain authenticity. Of course it's not the same as being there, but I think the true essence of that band is captured quite well; that is five badasses who were out to rock and drink and make a name for themselves and did it from the ground up (i.e. gutting it out day in and day out in whatever small club they could play in on that night, fighting for success and money for that next bottle of Jack, or else they'd have to steal it!).

I didn't really notice GN'R until 1991/92. November Rain and Yesterdays were favourites of mine. I saw how big GN'R really was, even though I wasn't all that into them at the time (aside from those two songs). So I can sort of see the argument, that you had to be old enough to witness it. It gives you a slightly different appreciation of events - it doesn't mean you are any more or less of a fan, just that you can maybe appreciate the time a little bit more; and some folks on the boards seem to have zero appreciation unfortunately.

Nirvana basically took over the world around that time. It's one thing to read about it or see it on VH1 Behind the Music - I mean, I didn't care for Nirvana, but I could see the effect they had. I was in high school at the time and their impact was huge. And of course we saw them spawn the grunge movement. It was massive, and to read or see it on TV now makes it seem smaller than it really was at the time. It really was overwhelming and it's hard to describe it without actually understating it. Grunge was everywhere, and every band was a grunge band. Slight exaggeration there, but only slight.

But yeah...it was in 2002 that I really became a full blown Guns fan. Not sure what that makes me. I had always sort of noticed the band in their prime, liked some of their music, could appreciate them for what they were. I just wish I had made more of a connection with them back then. I missed out on a lot unfortunately.

As always on the money. I think we discussed this in another thread, the 1988 gnr boots are spectacular. They were on fire from 86-89 and I don't think anything I have ever seen afterwards can match the chemistry and energy the boots from that time had. Nothing even comes close.

You've got a few years on me KBear, I was only in 4th grade when UYI came out but even then I remember the kids around me were talking about Nirvana and "Smells like teen Spirit" was everywhere. GnR was huge but phasing out slowly. It was a "shift in taste" as VH1 and mtv always say about this period. You could feel it in the music of the time.

and btw a 17 year old isnt a die hard GNR fan

I think YOU are the one who better watch what you write - no one here can read your mind, we read your words - choose them wisely. 17 year olds can't be DIE HARD GNR fans - just "fans" then.

What a retarted thing to say. It's arrogant. Flat out.

Gunzen is right every one stop being a little bitch and get over it

hes not saying your not a die hard fan of anything else

buts its true enless you were around when gnr came out and saw everything they did first hand its not going to be the same

close yes but it still aint the real deal. even if like almost famous u were brought up on it and blah blah blah its like being at a base ball game v.s. watching it at home. you could know alot and you probley saw the game from a better veiw but its not the same thing

Gunzen is right every one stop being a little bitch and get over it

hes not saying your not a die hard fan of anything else

buts its true enless you were around when gnr came out and saw everything they did first hand its not going to be the same

close yes but it still aint the real deal. even if like almost famous u were brought up on it and blah blah blah its like being at a base ball game v.s. watching it at home. you could know alot and you probley saw the game from a better veiw but its not the same thing

that is all I was trying to say, and I will be damned if I am gonna let someone who wasnt even alive when the band rocked the whole music landscape pass judgement on Axl and be a representative of fans as a whole.

Edited by Gunzen

Nirvana was an American fad. GNR were still the biggest band in the world and continued being the biggest band in the world well after the Illusions tour ended. Once people saw they were not releasing any albums with new material (spaghetti Incident) is when people began to lose interest and once Slash announce he quit the band that was the nail in the coffin for GNR. There were 2 bands that were Nirvana proof and those 2 bands were Metallica and GNR . Too bad GNR self destructed .

Nirvana was an American fad. GNR were still the biggest band in the world and continued being the biggest band in the world well after the Illusions tour ended. Once people saw they were not releasing any albums with new material (spaghetti Incident) is when people began to lose interest and once Slash announce he quit the band that was the nail in the coffin for GNR. There were 2 bands that were Nirvana proof and those 2 bands were Metallica and GNR . Too bad GNR self destructed .

I don't know if I'd call Nirvana a fad. Maybe, but a pretty significant one at that. I agree that GN'R was Nirvana proof. GN'R had no problem selling UYI, and certainly outsold Nirvana. As such I never agreed with those that said Nirvana killed GN'R. We didn't get proof of that because Guns self destructed and unfortunately so did Kurt. I believe the next GN'R album would've been a big seller, I mean they were 4 for 4. Those guys just had it. Having said that, every band peaks and then comes off that, so it's likely that the next Guns album would've been a step down from the Illusion discs in terms of sales.

Anyways, at the same time you have to give Nirvana some credit, they certainly changed things in a pretty big way. You can't just dismiss that.

Edited by KBear

Nirvana wasnt a fad, and Kurt Kobain's influence on music and his assimilation with the voice of the frustrated youth helped destry GNR just as much as Axl did. Nirvana did to GNR what GNR did to poison, U have to be realistic. I love GNR and dont really care for Nirvana, but they set the tone for the Seattle music scene that lasted 10 friggin years. Of course it was doomed to begin with, cause grunge couldnt stay grunge if it became popular, which is why Kurt was so damn Confused. It was a catch 22. Sux for him to create a movement that coulnt ever reach its potential. Oh well, he was no fad.

Edited by Gunzen

Nirvana wasnt a fad, and Kurt Kobain's influence on music and his assimilation with the voice of the frustrated youth helped destry GNR just as much as Axl did. Nirvana did to GNR what GNR did to poison, U have to be realistic. I love GNR and dont really care for Nirvana, but they set the tone for the Seattle music scene that lasted 10 friggin years. Of course it was doomed to begin with, cause grunge couldnt stay grunge if it became popular, which is why Kurt was so damn Confused. It was a catch 22. Sux for him to create a movement that coulnt ever reach its potential. Oh well, he was no fad.

Good point, and ofcourse Nirvana would not have hurt Guns so much if they had remained that same stripped down AFD style band. But with success and money everything became bigger and it just became a case of a band with Spinal Tap'itis being made to look like a joke in front of a more street band. Nirvana like you said was what GnR was in the late 80's. But they couldn't have hurt GnR if UYI remained in the mold of AFD. Foresight is always 20/20 I guess...

A GnR album after TSI/UYI would have BOMBED. Big time. They quickly become very uncool during 94-96 if you recall. That's probably a big reason for the inner turmoil of the original band, them trying to figure out whether to reinvent themselves(axl) or stick to their guns(slash/duff).

Id take AF's knowlege of GnR over anybody's but i wouldn't trade being a fan in the late 80's.

There is something about having lived through AFD thats special, it wasn't just a good debut album it was life/time changing and fucking cataclismic(sp?) rock3

You lucky bastard... :P

Good point, and ofcourse Nirvana would not have hurt Guns so much if they had remained that same stripped down AFD style band. But with success and money everything became bigger and it just became a case of a band with Spinal Tap'itis being made to look like a joke in front of a more street band. Nirvana like you said was what GnR was in the late 80's. But they couldn't have hurt GnR if UYI remained in the mold of AFD. Foresight is always 20/20 I guess...

A GnR album after TSI/UYI would have BOMBED. Big time. They quickly become very uncool during 94-96 if you recall. That's probably a big reason for the inner turmoil of the original band, them trying to figure out whether to reinvent themselves(axl) or stick to their guns(slash/duff).

damn man, cant argue at all, I agree with it all. Hell, maybe that is why Axel is wating so long, he is waiting for the right time to reinvent music, and now sure would be a great time, cause there is nothing out there. :question:

Hmm, I don't know that it would have bombed. It really depends on the material I guess. Remember that for at least part of those sessions Axl said that they were making a Slash record. He wanted something a lot more stripped back than UYI. If Guns could've got that off the ground who knows? It might have been AFD part II, something that would have blown everyone out of the water. Of course AFD was if nothing else a moment in time, something that could probably never be duplicated. Again, who knows? I'd bet though, if they were to have released another album, it would have been a lot less produced than the Illusion discs were.

Edited by KBear

Id take AF's knowlege of GnR over anybody's but i wouldn't trade being a fan in the late 80's.

There is something about having lived through AFD thats special, it wasn't just a good debut album it was life/time changing and fucking cataclismic(sp?) rock3

You lucky bastard... :P

Im just an old bastard who got real lucky one day in a record store, i was in my local branch of some music shop and saw it on a shelf.I asked the boy at the counter what it was and he said he couldn't tell me but if i bought it my life would never be the same, he was correct.I think it had been out a few days then.Into my casette player and fucking bang i was hooked.My dads screaming up the stairs " what the fuck is the racket?".

No album ive bought since has ever given me that feeling i got when i first listened to AFD, awww shucks im gonna cry :no::rofl-lol: .

Now i have to go to college and im thinking about original GnR-but i have better on my mp3 player so it will be counter-acted soon :laugh:

I'm 31. I didn't get into GNR untill the UYI's came out. Am I a newcomer?

By the time UYI came out Kurt Owned the youth of America and paved the way for Alice in Chains, P-Jam, Alannis Mosisette etc. I am not claiming to be any better than anyone. I just remember the video, the energy, the fucking Glam Bands looks so futile. On stage they were so loose, played from the hip and just didnt fucking care if they missed a note or a lyric, they just kept going . Axl and Slash hypnotized the fucking industry, much I imagine the way that Paul, Ringo,John and George did. It was crazy. Through it all they has a coolness, and I no fear attitude. Axl was like 150 pounds when he started and his presence was huge.

Agreed~! Thats why Axl has had such loyal fans from the very beginning. There truly was nothing like it nor has there been anything since.

Dont wanna sound like a ass, but can we drop this????? concerts have been cancelled before, and btw a 17 year old isnt a die hard GNR fan. They are the newcomers, she will have plenty of time to see concerts.

I disagree with that statement about 17 year olds not being die hard fans. I myself am 27 have been a fan since 8, but there are people on this board who are 17 and know more than me when it comes to this band.

So yeah they are not just newcomers, most of them probably grew up listening to them.

I disagree with that statement about 17 year olds not being die hard fans. I myself am 27 have been a fan since 8, but there are people on this board who are 17 and know more than me when it comes to this band.

So yeah they are not just newcomers, most of them probably grew up listening to them.

I''l say it, die hards dont bitch. Cancelled concert, Big Fucking Deal, happens, . Sound like you are not that hard after all. Like I said 17 year old's know material, the people who were with the band from inception know soul.

I''l say it, die hards dont bitch. Cancelled concert, Big Fucking Deal, happens, . Sound like you are not that hard after all. Like I said 17 year old's know material, the people who were with the band from inception know soul.

who are you to say who is a fan or not or what kind of fan they are.