Recording Help/Advice Needed...

I am using one microphone by my amp. I am recording through the mic port on my computer. All seems to be going well.

But I don't understand; how come, sometimes when I am recording different tracks, the audio comes out in both the L and R channels, but other times it only comes out in the L channel? I didn't change anything, it was just random...

Please help, this is fucking pissing me off

Sounds like you might be recording some tracks in stereo, and some in mono. Stereo will get you sound out of both channels.

Nope, trust me, they are all in stereo :confused: I have recorded some in mono, but when I want it in stereo, I sometimes get that the Left channel has the sound and the Right just has fuzz...

Sounds like you might be recording some tracks in stereo, and some in mono. Stereo will get you sound out of both channels.

no, stereo recording will give audio in ONE speaker. Mono will give sound in both speakers.

why? cus I'm sure the guy doesn't dual mike the cabinet when he records straight through the mini jack of the computer. :)

hence, the one channel he has will be thrown left OR right when he is recording in stereo.

when he records on mono the one signal will be splitted. common engineering knowledge Santana! I thought you knew!

Nope, trust me, they are all in stereo :confused: I have recorded some in mono, but when I want it in stereo, I sometimes get that the Left channel has the sound and the Right just has fuzz...

What DAW are you using? what OS are you running?

check your settings in System Prefs if you are running OSX, check control panel and audio devices if XP.

See if you have panned the inputs or the recording channel in use.

Check the panning in your DAW.

I am sure you are recording in STEREO, hence sound in only one channel. Pro Tools goes MONO by default. While Garageband goes Stereo by default.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your hardware. My guess is the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

no, stereo recording will give audio in ONE speaker. Mono will give sound in both speakers.

why? cus I'm sure the guy doesn't dual mike the cabinet when he records straight through the mini jack of the computer. :)

hence, the one channel he has will be thrown left OR right when he is recording in stereo.

when he records on mono the one signal will be splitted. common engineering knowledge Santana! I thought you knew!

You're right. I totally got my shit backwards today.

Edited by santana

You're right. I totally got my shit backwards today.

I know! ;) just having fun with ya tonight :P hehe