*Appreciating Elvis*

Guest deleted_19765

Guest deleted_19765

So, for years my opinion has remained somewhere between dislike and indifference when it comes to Elvis Presley, the King of Rock and Roll. A lot of it might have to do with the fact that I'm a big blues listener and have found it hard to appreciate Elvis' early work, in which blues covers were most of what he did. The originals just usually can't be topped for me. Almost every major vocal musical artist after Elvis admired him, many of which to whom I am a devotee. I'm ready to fall for Elvis, but I need a little help.

So far his '70s stuff, versions of "Gentle on my Mind", "For the Good Times", and other tunes, when he seemed to pretty much be a Pop-Country artist, are what I'm liking. I still like some of the other versions of these songs better, by Glen Campbell and Ray Price and others, but I am enjoying Presley's versions for once. I also have his self-titled debut, which I am rocking at the moment. Hopefully this album will start to click with me.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on Elvis, his career, and his legacy would be very much appreciated. Hopefully I can declare myself a fan soon enough.

Edited by AgainstAllOdds

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley...t_Track_Listing I really want to get this (I'm a perfectionist who always likes the special edition stuff), but the only place that does it is an online Australian Elvis store, and postage is rather hefty.

not to be a shit, but i have that and it's effin' awesome. the packaging is fantastic too. it's a digi-pack the size of an old 45. fantastic sound quality. there are alot of releases in that series. it's a collector's label run by RCA called "Follow That Dream".

AgainstAllOdds:

you need the following:

Elvis At Sun

Elvis' Gold Records 1, 2, 3, 4

Elvis Is Back!

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Suspicious Minds: The Complete 1969 Sessions (an absolute must. if you dig that '70's stuff, you'll love this. blue-eyed soul, country, r&b...you name it)

That's The Way It Is (3 disc set includes fantastic 1970 concert)

Elvis Country next to the '69 sessions, this is his best work.

now for the rest of the '70's stuff, you can look at his discography and pick out albums, it's a little hit and miss. all of them have great moments but the only albums that are really good throughout are "Today" and "Moody Blue". you'd be missing a ton of good songs though. like "Promised Land" and "I've Got A Thing About You Baby".

as Lithium mentioned, you HAVE to listen to his gospel recordings. there were three albums and a few scattered singles, but this collection: Amazing Grace contains nearly all of it.

if you need any further help, let me know. there's also the big box sets. there's a 5 disc set for each decade (50's, 60's. 70's) and they're worth every penny.

they're orgasmic actually.

the sixties box contains no soundtrack music or gospel. there are separate collections for those. Amazing Grace being one of them.

Edited by artfromtex

This is the man I was hoping to hear from. Thanks!

Looks like those '69 sessions might be the best for my next purchase. I love Chips Moman in general.

yes sir. Chips really got alot out of Elvis. plus Elvis was eager to prove himself as an artist again.

he had just come off the comeback special and was confident and ambitious.

read this to prime you for that 2 disc set:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/reinventin...phis_1969.shtml

another cool thing about that set are the undubbed outtakes. Elvis recorded live in the studio, but strings and background vocals were usually overdubbed. there's some cool takes of famous songs like "Suspicious Minds" that are just Elvis, piano, guitar, bass, and drums. powerful stuff.

this cd is full of nothing but undubbed outtakes. if you find yourself wanting more after getting "Suspicious Minds" then get that one.

Awesome post man!

enjoy that FTD set! it's awesome. all the FTD "classic album series" are great. if you dig that one, get the "Elvis Is Back!" FTD set.

elvis69_american_studios_3.jpg

Edited by artfromtex

Looks like those '69 sessions might be the best for my next purchase. I love Chips Moman in general.

yes sir. Chips really got alot out of Elvis. plus Elvis was eager to prove himself as an artist again.

another cool thing about that set are the undubbed outtakes. Elvis recorded live in the studio, but strings and background vocals were usually overdubbed. there's some cool takes of famous songs like "Suspicious Minds" that are just Elvis, piano, guitar, bass, and drums. powerful stuff.

this cd is full of nothing but undubbed outtakes. if you find yourself wanting more after getting "Suspicious Minds" then get that one.

Awesome post man!

enjoy that FTD set! it's awesome. all the FTD "classic album series" are great. if you dig that one, get the "Elvis Is Back!" FTD set.

Is Elvis smoking a cig in that pic?

Awesome post man!

Is Elvis smoking a cig in that pic?

it's a little cigar. Elvis never smoked cigarettes, but he did like a particular brand of cigar. can't think of the name.

i found this online:

Elvis began serving in the Army on March 24, 1958 and was honorably discharged on March 5, 1960 at the rank of Buck Sargeant. To my knowledge, Elvis didn't smoke while in the Army. However, there are photos of Elvis smoking cigarettes and cigars prior to 1958. He wasn't a "regular" smoker, but would RARELY have a cigarette to unwind. He preferred to chew on the tips of his cigars. In his own words, "It's kinda' a nervous habit, I guess."

On the rare occasion he did smoke cigarettes, he smoked Tarrytons. His cigars were usually the Hav-A-Tampa brand.

Elvis served in the 3rd Armored Division a.k.a. the "Hell On Wheels Infantry". The 3rd Armored Division was General Patton's old outfit.

Well, there's a little bit of information for you.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Presley-Elvis-5...-Army-Dates.htm

in the extended version of the documentary film "This Is Elvis" there's old home movie footage of Elvis and friends passing a joint around at his house on Audobon Dr. in Memphis. (that's the house he bought in 1956 before he purchased Graceland)

Edited by artfromtex

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Great article! I'll be looking forward to buying this album.

First of all, thanks so much to artfromtex for recommending Suspicious Minds. Its such a major piece of Americana that I can hardly believe there was a time when I didn't know it. Country, Blues, Rock, and Soul are all so closely intertwined here that you forget about genres totally as you listen, its something like the ultimate composite American music, executed on a massive, grandiose scale. Elvis is able to appropriate anything and anyone and do it so well that he could have been the source material to begin with. He does Roy Orbison type numbers like "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'" to the tee, and even sounds quite a bit like Dean Martin, only better, on "From a Jack to a King". "Kentucky Rain" is what it would have sounded like if Homer worked as a songwriter in the late 60s, seriously epic shit. "Only the Strong Survive" sounds like Bobby Womack, its totally bad ass and would have fit into any blaxploitation soundtrack. Bluesy tracks like "Wearin' That Loved on Look", "Stranger In My Own Hometown", and "Power of My Love" really, really deliver. Although you may have to accept the orchestrations as a staple of the era and overlook them at times, the core musicians are spectacular here. Think Funk Brothers south. What's more, each disc is pretty much equally enjoyable. With highlights like "Inherit The Wind" and "This Is The Story" that really stretch what popular song was capable of the time.

I could go on and on forever about individual songs, but I won't. The alternate version of "After Loving You" with Elvis on piano is my favorite. Not only will this likely remain my favorite material from Elvis, but its pretty much exactly what I have been wanting to here, from anyone. Highly recommended. I suppose a phase two will be in order soon. Should we turn back a page to the 50s?

man, i'm so glad you liked it. i echo many of your sentiments here. speaking of the orchestrations, did you dig the alternate takes that were just Elvis and the core band, minus the horns and stuff? God, that's some ear candy, ain't it?

I think I'll be ready for the next album pretty soon. Suggestions are needed.

I really recommend "Elvis Is Back!". it was his first session after the army and there are tons of great songs. make sure you get the version that has all the singles included. the original 12 track album didn't include the singles like "It's Now Or Never", "Stuck On You', etc. weird concept not to put the singles on the album, huh?

if you really want to hear something cool from these 1960 Nashville sessions that produced "Elvis Is Back!" you ought to go to shopelvis.com and get the 2-disc version of the album. it comes in a 7" digipack and has all the first takes of every song plus additional outtakes of some of the songs. it's cool to hear Elvis working up the songs, changing arrangement, etc.

another great album is the 1971 release "Elvis Country". again, glad you enjoyed the "Suspicious Minds" anthology. cheers.

The alternate version of "After Loving You" with Elvis on piano is my favorite.

right there with you on that one.

Elvis: "i..i..i.. tell ya what....i may have to play piano on that 'un"

Charlie Hodge (to everyone): "Elvis gonna play pian-a" rock3

Edited by artfromtex

The King still lives on!

On a somewhat side note: I often find myself wishing that they would've let Elvis do some "real" movies. I think he could've been a really good actor with some material with substance.

the one that really irks me was "A Star Is Born". he was offered that role in person by Barbara Streisand in 1975. he would have had to clean up off the drugs and lose some weight. he was willing to do it for that role. those close to him said he was so excited at doing that movie but the Col. made him turn it down because he was gonna be second billing behind Barbara. Elvis might still be alive today if he'd made that movie. when that film was a smash hit and Kris Kristofersen won an Academy award for the role Elvis turned down, it sent Elvis spiraling faster and further down that dark road that eventually claimed his life. damn shame.

Edited by artfromtex

The King still lives on!

On a somewhat side note: I often find myself wishing that they would've let Elvis do some "real" movies. I think he could've been a really good actor with some material with substance.

the one that really irks me was "A Star Is Born". he was offered that role in person by Barbara Streisand in 1975. he would have had to clean up off the drugs and lose some weight. he was willing to do it for that role. those close to him said he was so excited at doing that movie but the Col. made him turn it down because he was gonna be second billing behind Barbara. Elvis might still be alive today if he'd made that movie. when that film was a smash hit and Kris Kristofersen won an Academy award for the role Elvis turned down, it sent Elvis spiraling faster and further down that dark road that eventually claimed his life. damn shame.

wow.. i never knew that :(

~ the Colonel sounds suss now <_<

It was honestly one of the best recommendations I've received, along with the 2 CD Waylon Live you told me about when I was ODS! Elvis is Back! should be next

i'd be very surprised if you don't like "Elvis Is Back!". it's very genre melting like the 1969 sessions. enjoy!

wow.. i never knew that

~ the Colonel sounds suss now

yeah the Col. was a douche!

Edited by artfromtex