*Appreciating Elvis*

Guest deleted_19765

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up How Great Thou Art a few days ago, but only listened through today. Its beautiful.

ye i have that :) on vinyl.

i grew up with that 8-track! there are so many good songs on that one. as a kid "Run On" was my favorite. i think "Where No One Stands Alone" would be my favorite now.

So what's the quintessential best of compilation album?

man, that's hard. he has so many great songs. there's always tons of stuff that you'd be missing no matter which single compilation you bought.

if you got Elvis 30 #1 Hits and 2nd To None you'd have good start. but there's still songs that i consider "essential" that you'd be missing. There's this 3 CD set that has alot for a good price.

not that fucking Gold 30 hits one thats for sure, it dont even have Lawdy Miss Clawdy on it. I had this ol' red one once that was really good :):) (i know, of all the thousands of best of's of elvis the best description i can give it 'that red one', get help :lol:)

I picked up How Great Thou Art a few days ago, but only listened through today. Its beautiful.

ye i have that :) on vinyl.

i grew up with that 8-track! there are so many good songs on that one. as a kid "Run On" was my favorite. i think "Where No One Stands Alone" would be my favorite now.

i'm gonna get it out and get back to you.. it's been in the backlog of albums for a while.. :rolleyes:

one i've played a few times lately that's worth a mention imo is Elvis in the 70s: 28 great songs

EDIT: well ye i had a listen to How Great Thou Art & Run On stood out as one of the best.. but pretty much side 2 (bar for the last 2 tracks) just made me want to get up & party.. which is funny considering it's a religious album :lol:

Edited by maXx diaTribE

• 4 months later...
EDIT: well ye i had a listen to How Great Thou Art & Run On stood out as one of the best.. but pretty much side 2 (bar for the last 2 tracks) just made me want to get up & party.. which is funny considering it's a religious album.

that's funny! i know what you mean, though. it does have an undeniable energy to it.

32 years ago today, folks. Long Live the King!

DSCF0239.jpg

photo taken be me in July of '05

elvis68.jpg

Tryin' To Get To You, '68 Comeback Special

Edited by artfromtex

EDIT: well ye i had a listen to How Great Thou Art & Run On stood out as one of the best.. but pretty much side 2 (bar for the last 2 tracks) just made me want to get up & party.. which is funny considering it's a religious album.

that's funny! i know what you mean, though. it does have an undeniable energy to it.

32 years ago today, folks. Long Live the King!

DSCF0239.jpg

Well, this sure puts things in perspective...

To be honest, I never really liked Elvis. I don't dislike him by any means, but I just don't get it. To me, Chuck Berry is the real King of Rock N' Roll. Elvis was a showman in my eyes, he was the first great performer, but the music lacked. With Chuck Berry, it was always about the music. Great songwriter, great guitarist (and surely more influential than Elvis in this department), and he was the first true rock frontman in my eyes. In the end, it all really comes down to the music. But that's just one man's opinion (And I know I'm alone on it).

yes it is! i get goosebumps when he really digs down and belts it out. awesome stuff.

Do you (art) think Elvis Country (I'm 10,000 Years Old) is a good record to buy as my fourth behind Elvis Presley [RCA 1956], Suspicious Minds, and How Great Thou Art? I'm definitely hankering for something new very soon, and a more Country alternative to your last suggestion seems good. I wouldn't mind spending around or less than ten either.

absolutely. it's a great album. knowing what i know of your Elvis preferences i would say you'd like it a great deal. right up there with "Suspicious Minds".

eventually you need to get some of the early 60's stuff, (Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody, Pot Luck) and of course the Sun sessions. but i think Elvis Country would be a great pick for you.

Amazon has it for $12.98, but there's some merchants on there selling new and used for under $10. just make sure you get the one with the bonus tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Country-000-Ye...7180&sr=8-1

Edited by artfromtex

• 1 year later...

You know, I've really just started listening to Elvis and I wish I would have sooner because fuck could that guy sing! I like mostly the stuff he did in the 50's but really like the 68' comeback special too. If I Can Dream is fantastic!

I've watched videos from the 70's and have to say that is where I draw the line. Not a real big fan of that era but Elvis is Elvis man. No matter how old I think people should really give it a chance and find out just how great The King was.

Guest Len B'stard

Elvis was everything. The complete definitive article. Pure rock n roll on two legs. And not by anyones design either, he just WAS that generation at THAT age raised on THAT music (all the component parts of rock n roll), he was prettier than a woman and sexy as fuck. It just gets no better than Elvis. I've never heard an Elvis song i thought sucked, he's absolutely the greatest of all times, the king of rock n roll, second to none, a perfect distillation of everything rock n roll had to offer.

I think a lot of what troubles people about Elvis is that, back in those days an album was just like a platter y'know, something you just slung a bunch of songs on and off you go so for a lot of folk it's like, y'know, they don't have that defined discography thing in the way like, a 70s band or whatever has, it's just a sea of music for people to tackle. People like it when it's all set out like, OK, this is the debut, this is the sophmore album, this is this, this is that and back in the day a lot of those albums weren't...created with the intention that the album is a standalone piece of art, back then it was just a collection of songs, y'know? So yeah, its difficult for people to tackle for those sort of, music loving people who like to like "understand" an artist or what have you.

I think Elvis was incredible, just amazing, as far as these comparisons with like, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley or Jerry Lee Lewis, i dunno, they all did different things and excelled and their thing, y'know? Chuck Berry was like, just playing hillbilly music more or less, i mean rock n roll, call it what it is. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant...Richard was just something else altogether, Diddley was probably the most musically original and out there and Jerry Lee was like honky tonk piano music, so it's all totally different stuff but if anyone out of all of them could be best accredited with covering all the musical bases that make up what we know know to be rock n roll, it could be said to be Elvis so all these people that take shots at Elvis saying it was just some teen idol thing and the real "king" was one of the others, it's worth noting that to em.

My favorite Elvis song of the week:

Guest Len B'stard

Jerry, in his day, was fuckin on fire. I just LOVE the way he could just wind a crowd up and up and up and up until it's like he's gonna blow the room apart, genius performer, true showman.

Any fan of his needs to get Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club with The Nashville Teens, it is quite literally the greatest live album i've ever heard, Jerrys like, roaring drunk in front of this crowd in Germany and he's so fuckin hype the Nashville Teens couldn't keep up, you can hear him at one point between songs going "hey, play the guh-tar right boy!" :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen