Ashba wouldn't deliver the beautiful guitar work on KOHD :shrugs:

I don't hate Ashba at all, I think he's got the right parts to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YkNJRDdAys

On the subject of KOHD, I think this shows that Fortus can easily play Ashba's parts better.

Granted, the way that the guitars are divided up in the current lineup work, I think it'd be much stronger if Ashba got axed and Fortus took his position. Ron's got a lot of shredding ability but honestly I don't feel like he could handle the main riffs well. Fortus, on the other hand, can do that and still add spice to the sound. Just imagine their technical prowess meshing together for this wonderful dual-guitar harmony. They could easily trade off doing powerful solos also. And if Axl is still holding a grudge, this eliminates any Slash comparisons.

Note that I'm always one for trimming the excess in GNR though. But in this case, I believe by sticking to both of the guitarists' strengths, the result is a leaner, but more cohesive and stronger sound than the current 3-guitar lineup.

I agree. I don't see Ashba going anywhere but I would be totally fine with him leaving the band for whatever reason. BBF and Fortus are the real deal.

I should add that BBF definitely can do any part of any GN'R song with ease. There is a video from 2006 or 2007 on Youtube where Robin had some issue with his Les Paul during Better, and left the stage. BBF just adapted to the situation on the fly and did Robin's solo on the fly. He's a god-level guitarist & performer

Having seen Fortus playing with the Dead Daisies recently in a more lead guitar role I would certainly be happier if he had more prominant role in the band - unfortunately the reality seems to be that DJ is for some reason or another a favourite of Axls, so unless DJ quits (unlikely) then he's gonna be around for some time... ruining solos since 2009.. #swag #monster #entrepreneurfirst #guitaristsecond #hashtag

I know I keep on bumping this thread but I think it's a good topic. And people are liking my first comment so I feel special.

Yeah, I'd rather have Robin than DJ. Neither of them are "ace" guitar players per se, but the combination of Robin, Richard and Ron gels pretty well, given how the 3-guitar concept works in GNR. When you think about it though, Robin/DJ and Ron are just two people doing one thing Slash did on his own (Riffs and Shredding). Instead of doing a guitar overkill, I'd knock out the rhythm guitar and embrace it for what it is. The two guitarists can either work together in harmony or the other can lay down the rhythm when the other is going off. It could go a bunch of different ways.