Pink Floyd lyric question..

TheDuff!

"Did you excange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage"

What the hell does that mean? :drevil:

I usually "get" lyrics,but I just can't wrap my head around this one..

Thanks

It's no right answer to this one. Some people believe this line is refering to Syd's fight against his mental problems, some people think this line

is about the Vietnam War etc.

"Did you excange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage"

What the hell does that mean? :drevil:

I usually "get" lyrics,but I just can't wrap my head around this one..

Thanks

Umm, did you exchange a small part in something important for a big part in something pointless?

That kinda makes sense.But then again so does the Sid theory..

I think mr.Raw Power is right; There is no definitive answer to this one.

Thanks for the responds..

isn't the line

"Did you exchange a walk on part in the WALL for a lead roll in a cage?"

thats what my dad always told it was when I was growing up... and I'm pretty sure it's a reference to Syd's problems, and that he might have still been the singer when The Wall was made if he hadn't gotten so heavily into drugs.

Tough one. The Wall was based on a mixture of Roger's childhood (his father was killed in World War 2 when he was very young) and Syd's breakdown (Syd was never in a war). So that line from Wish You Were Here which referenced war and lead role in a cage could go either way or be a combination of the two IMHO.

After thinking more about this I don't think it is reference to Roger's father but Syd Alone. The Vietnam War was happening around the same time the band was formed so maybe the walk on the part in a war could be if Syd were to fight in Vietnam instead of being in a rock band where he self destructed in a cage---

Edited by chicagocoma13

^^I think you're taking it slightly too literally.

A war is chaotic and dangerous...maybe it's saying that Syd exchanged his 'walk-on part' (remember by the end he could barely perform, and was used only for writing, with Dave performing) in all the rush and madness of the rock n' roll scene for a 'lead role in a cage' being his isolation (the cage) and solitude (hence it's a 'lead role' if he's the only, and therefore main, figurative 'character'.

Compare it to other lines from the song, they give the same effect. "Hot ashes for trees, hot air for a cool breeze" it's again sort of chaos vs tranquility.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen