Future Music

Lazarus

man I just home some fucking 15 year old somewhere is listening to some Hendrix,Joe Perry,Keith Richards,Page,Slash and going "holy fuck,I've gotta get me a Les Paul".

I'm just fucking praying for that.

That's me :) the only problem is that you need some talent too, and some commitment...

btw, JKKDARK, I hope you're not saying that Oasis is alternative rock because that's just wrong...

Britpop is a sub-genre of Alternative Rock, my friend.

Okay, I'll give you that... Britpop is considered to be a sub-genre of Alternative Rock, that's true.

That doesn't change the fact that, imo, Oasis was much more of a revival of British guitar-pop/rock a la Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Jam etc. And Oasis were partly a reaction against the grunge movement in the US, so even if britpop and grunge both can be considered part of "alternative rock" they're two completetly different genres.

And imo Oasis doesn't have anything to do with "alternative" rock since they were very mainstream (and that's not necessarily a bad thing) and based on British guitar pop, and the Beatles and Stones were anything but "alternative rock" :)

Anyway if you consider Oasis alternative that's fine by me, but I don't agree :D

Alternative Rock is a genre, when it was made, yes it was alternative to the mainstream Rock music (Hard Rock).

Both genres were at least a little similar, Britpop couldn't be mainstream if it weren't by Grunge. We can go back to 1987 and say the same for the Sleaze Rock (Guns N' Roses) adn the Glam Metal (Bon Jovi).

man I just home some fucking 15 year old somewhere is listening to some Hendrix,Joe Perry,Keith Richards,Page,Slash and going "holy fuck,I've gotta get me a Les Paul".

That's me :) the only problem is that you need some talent too, and some commitment...

btw, JKKDARK, I hope you're not saying that Oasis is alternative rock because that's just wrong...

Okay, I'll give you that... Britpop is considered to be a sub-genre of Alternative Rock, that's true.

That doesn't change the fact that, imo, Oasis was much more of a revival of British guitar-pop/rock a la Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Jam etc. And Oasis were partly a reaction against the grunge movement in the US, so even if britpop and grunge both can be considered part of "alternative rock" they're two completetly different genres.

And imo Oasis doesn't have anything to do with "alternative" rock since they were very mainstream (and that's not necessarily a bad thing) and based on British guitar pop, and the Beatles and Stones were anything but "alternative rock" :)

Anyway if you consider Oasis alternative that's fine by me, but I don't agree :D

Alternative Rock is a genre, when it was made, yes it was alternative to the mainstream Rock music (Hard Rock).

Both genres were at least a little similar, Britpop couldn't be mainstream if it weren't by Grunge. We can go back to 1987 and say the same for the Sleaze Rock (Guns N' Roses) adn the Glam Metal (Bon Jovi).

Britpop was more a follow on from Stones Roses, The Smiths, Inspiral Carpets not fucking grunge, they were the opposite of grunge. theres even this one interview where liam said something like the reason they didnt go down well in america is because america at the time was into like heavy dirty ragged grunge types and they come on all showered up and wearing deodourant and playing straight rock n roll and people didnt get it :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

Britpop was more a follow on from Stones Roses, The Smiths, Inspiral Carpets not fucking grunge, they were the opposite of grunge. theres even this one interview where liam said something like the reason they didnt go down well in america is because america at the time was into like heavy dirty ragged grunge types and they come on all showered up and wearing deodourant and playing straight rock n roll and people didnt get it :lol:

Alternative Rock got in the mainstream thanks to Nirvana, a Grunge band. It opened the doors to many underground Rock movements back in the day, and the music industry put all these genres (Britpop, Grunge, Pop-Punk, Emo, etc) under the Alternative Rock genre. It's the same music industry that made the terms Hard Rock, ROck and Roll, Heavy Metal, etc ,etc, etc, so you have to follow these rules or make your own terms.

Edited by JKKDARK

Alternative Rock got in the mainstream thanks to Nirvana, a Grunge band. It opened the doors to many underground Rock movements back in the day, and the music industry put all these genres (Britpop, Grunge, Pop-Punk, Emo, etc) under the Alternative Rock genre. It's the same music industry that made the terms Hard Rock, ROck and Roll, Heavy Metal, etc ,etc, etc, so you have to follow these rules or make your own terms.

well oasis do follow those terms...they come under rock n roll. the only real distinction being made is co-joining it with the word "Brit" which means its from Britan. i think you really misunderstand the workings and the points behind genres. they are not ALL ways of distinguishing some immense musical difference...they're just convenient definitions and a lot of the times they have more to do with geography than anything...as is the case with the whole britrock or britpop thing. theres something fundamental in the function of genres that you REALLY dont understand yet you feel the need to use them so regularly, its really quite strange. Britrock was just a way of labelling the latest (at the time) crop of bands from england that were playing rock n roll. hell, they were called "indie" too...in fact, more frequently then they were called Britrock...these things are like...pointers, vague perimeters...not ridgid fascist infalliable boundaries.

Why do you obsessively label music JKKDARK?

Secretly a music fascist?

How in the name of God can you tarr Nirvana and Oasis with the same brush?

Thank you, tell me when you make your own terms and don't take the terms made by the music industry.

Britpop and Grunge are sub-genres of Alternative Rock. If you don't accept it, don't use the terms Grunge and Britpop and make your own terms.

Thank you, tell me when you make your own terms and don't take the terms made by the music industry.

Britpop and Grunge are sub-genres of Alternative Rock. If you don't accept it, don't use the terms Grunge and Britpop and make your own terms.

Why does music have to be labelled?

Music is music, regardless of anything.

JMO.

Why does music have to be labelled?

Music is music, regardless of anything.

JMO.

I don't know, I don't like it also. But that's how the music industry works.

lol, I'm surprised people still respond to JKKDARK anymore. It's obvious wherever he/she goes, he/she just tries to start a fight. She/He'll even post in threads that has nothing to do with music and go on about how shitty music is today or something.

Just ignore it, and it'll go away.

You don't have to follow everything the music industry tells you to do, you know. I don't, and I'm a good guy. At least in most cases.

But you use terms made by the music industry, and you can't change what these terms are really.

Who says you can't change them? You need some punk spirit.

You don't have to follow everything the music industry tells you to do, you know. I don't, and I'm a good guy. At least in most cases.

But you use terms made by the music industry, and you can't change what these terms are really.

Because it makes no sense.

"this is not an internet forum, for me it's called pizza"

Because it makes no sense.

"this is not an internet forum, for me it's called pizza"

Now we're moving into the philosophy of language.

You say its Alternative Rock..? Personally I think its yellow.

M'kay.

Words mean whatever you want 'em too; people just tend to go by what society pummels into you from an early age that they mean.

[]

Look guys, Captain Teenage Angst is here to save the day!

'Punk spirit.' and 'Teen angst.' are not related phrases.

Punk is about rebellion against bigger things than getting grounded, not being allowed new jeans and wearing fucking make-up to be 'different.'

Teen angst is all about hormonal cry-babys who don't care about anything except themselves and their 'dark-abyss' lives :lol: