The Don Henley appreciation thread

Jaxl Rose

henley.jpg

I love this fucking guy. An awesome outright drummer but also a great singer with a unique rasp that gave The Eagles a harder rock edge. He made ‘Desperado’ a crooning cowboy ballad with balls, ‘Witchy Woman’ a jazzed up blues song, and of course ‘Hotel California’ the grand backwards reggae jam.

He is a total badass. I once paid eighty five dollars to go see solo Henley and he finally got on stage and he refused to play any Eagles songs. He played his shittier ballads (heart of the matter) and some other stuff I didn’t recognize and then flat out refused to play period. Instead he used the stage as a soapbox for his radically left political rant that lasted way too long. Eventually he turned on the crowd at one point by calling one guy an “Ignorant f*ck”. But whatever, it was all in good fun. He struck me as a lot like Axl, not only in his vocal style but also his attitude towards his former band (Eagles still hated each other at the time).

Donthen.jpg

Henley rocks.

Edited by Jaxl Rose

I'd class myself as a fan. I just listened to The End of the Innocence (the album) not too long ago. Some great songs on it, it's a strong piece of work all the way through.

I also love his version of Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows.