Singers

Laughingman

That you sing better while hungover? This is a weird thing that is always the case with me. They all say going out and smoking and drinking all night is a horrible idea if you need to sing the next day, but I've always liked the deeper, raspy style a night of drinking gives you.

Well as i dont usually drink ....and i never smoke i cant really say .

But as an example for the topic ... my friend that is also has a band and this last week he is recording some stuff he did drink a bit "of agua ardente" ( is a strong drink ..kinda like tequila we could say) to open his throat and help him to "scream" better .

I seem to recall Robert Palmer saying something to that effect, years ago. Something about heavy smoking and drinking whiskey before a performance, to get his voice just right.

That you sing better while hungover? This is a weird thing that is always the case with me. They all say going out and smoking and drinking all night is a horrible idea if you need to sing the next day, but I've always liked the deeper, raspy style a night of drinking gives you.

Depends on how you wanna sing. If you're aiming for the gritty rasp, chain-smoking and binge drinking can only make your dreams come true faster. If you wanna reach those clean high notes every night and channel the diaphragm, you better learn some fucking discipline, son.

Depends on how you wanna sing. If you're aiming for the gritty rasp, chain-smoking and binge drinking can only make your dreams come true faster. If you wanna reach those clean high notes every night and channel the diaphragm, you better learn some fucking discipline, son.

Very true. I quit smoking because it was becoming a strain to hit higher notes.

And yet Axl Rose in his youth when he was a chain-smoking alcoholic and a weed smoker was a better singer than Axl Rose in the 2000s when he claims to be fit yet is fat and doesn't smoke very much at all anymore.

I'm not sure if he was a chain smoker and I doubt he was ever an alcoholic, but he did dabble in these activities and paid the price. His vocal prime only lasted so long, as a result, and when GNR finally hit it big in 1987, his voice was nowhere near as good as it was a year before. You could also attribute the deterioration to his no-holds-barred style, but the aforementioned vices undoubtedly played their part, as well.

And Axl has way more range these days than he did in the 90's, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Many fanboys get wet over his vintage growl from GNR's prime period, but that can hardly be considered technically good singing.

Edited by bluesy