Need some feedback

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some advice for Smile ,

one dump that singer , two , the drums are awful

i suggest u listen to the red hot chili pepper's , the zephyr song or under the bridge and take influence from those structures. and you can turn this around if you trim off the fat and change the chorus into something like a dramatic effect , where u can get the listner to tap his foot to the song.

again that singer is annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for input everyone. these demos were recorded really quickly in 2 days for a school project, but i have a lot more songs and we're going to continue working on them. the myspace has 2 other songs we recorded on one of those days up now.

www.myspace.com/risingsuninfo

and our new website:

http://users.bandzoogle.com/RisingSunMusic/

• 2 weeks later...
dude your singer is tone deaf

Gunsguy

Personally, i think the guitar effect on rising sun is awful. and the singer, well, lets not go there. He's tone deaf.

Smile sounds good. but could have a lot of work done on it

my thoughts exactly!

How dare you have an intro of 47 seconds before any vocals kick in?

Who the fuck do you think you are? Why do you keep me waiting for 47 seconds on your intro song. The very first song that you put up to play on your myspace?

What makes you think that I as a listener got 47 seconds to spare before you decide that it's a good time to sing something?

Either way, that's just a thought. Now over to the songs themselves.

smile: intro too long (if to be an album or myspace opener)

The band isn't nearly tight enough. it's actually so out of time that it's disturbing at times.

As for the singer, have him take lessons. Yes, the guy that plays the piano and tells you a thing or two about your "instrument".

is there a chorus in the song? cus I don't hear it. Some occasional nice ambient guitar work though.

Rising song: The same awful singer, same timing issues. And what's up with the wet guitars?

Keep on shining? The sun is gonna stop shining if you played this to him.

Without a Trace: Seems to be the best of the bunch. The singer ain't all that bad on this.

But the vocal melody lines could be more dynamic. Explore the beauty in vocal range. If the singer has more than a one octave range. Hell, even with a one octave range he should be able to pull off something more dynamic.

The guitar work ain't all that bad.

When the intro for hope for sale started I gave up listening...........

FIRE THE SINGER!

Edited by browser

no, smile wouldn't be an album opener. and 47 seconds isn't that long for an intro to a song. especially for one not opening an album. welcome to the jungle was an opener and had 40 seconds before vocals. songs aren't all about the vocals. smile is a ballad more along the lines of sweet child o' mine, which has a 46 second intro.

the chorus to smile is the "you smile and the waves come crashing down on me etc" part, that is repeated 4 times.

thanks for the input though everyone. these demos were recorded in 3 days for a school project. most everything was first or second take, with not many overdubs. the other members are actually starting to learn the songs now, which helps.

Gunsguy

Personally, i think the guitar effect on rising sun is awful. and the singer, well, lets not go there. He's tone deaf.

my thoughts exactly!

Who the fuck do you think you are? Why do you keep me waiting for 47 seconds on your intro song. The very first song that you put up to play on your myspace?

What makes you think that I as a listener got 47 seconds to spare before you decide that it's a good time to sing something?

The band isn't nearly tight enough. it's actually so out of time that it's disturbing at times.

As for the singer, have him take lessons. Yes, the guy that plays the piano and tells you a thing or two about your "instrument".

is there a chorus in the song? cus I don't hear it. Some occasional nice ambient guitar work though.

Rising song: The same awful singer, same timing issues. And what's up with the wet guitars?

Without a Trace: Seems to be the best of the bunch. The singer ain't all that bad on this.

But the vocal melody lines could be more dynamic. Explore the beauty in vocal range. If the singer has more than a one octave range. Hell, even with a one octave range he should be able to pull off something more dynamic.

FIRE THE SINGER!

• 3 weeks later...
no, smile wouldn't be an album opener. and 47 seconds isn't that long for an intro to a song. especially for one not opening an album. welcome to the jungle was an opener and had 40 seconds before vocals. songs aren't all about the vocals. smile is a ballad more along the lines of sweet child o' mine, which has a 46 second intro.

the chorus to smile is the "you smile and the waves come crashing down on me etc" part, that is repeated 4 times.

thanks for the input though everyone. these demos were recorded in 3 days for a school project. most everything was first or second take, with not many overdubs. the other members are actually starting to learn the songs now, which helps.

Gunsguy

my thoughts exactly!

FIRE THE SINGER!

OK! Now you got me fucking pissed off! How the fuck you dare comparing your shitty ass song to WTTJ???????

Lets forget SONGWRITING for a second and focus on craftsmanship. Those guys could PLAY!!!!!!

They had the technical ability and knowledge to pull of a 40 second intro. Now, add the musicianship part into the equation.

That's why great bands can pull of either a long intro or long instrumental parts. It's all about keeping people interested.

Go record ur 40 second intro and see what any low level producer will tell you....

Problem with most bands nowaday isn't, believe it or not, musicianship, it's the inability to PLAY their own fucking instruments.

You might say Kurt Cobain was a shitty guitarist, on a technical level he really was a shitty player and was very limited. But he atleast mastered what he knew! So before you start dropping names and naming bands with 40 second intros. Look at your guitar and tell me if you can play it how you WANT to play it. Or are you the one who's like everybody else who will NEVER make it?!?

I'm fucking tired of kids like yourself with a shitty attitude towards music.

If you want to make music your future job, then you need to study your instrument as hard as anything else.

I do know my instrument, bud. I know it in a songwriting sense and a technical sense as I'm a student at Berklee College of Music. How the hell do you know what my attitude towards music is? You just like to rant on a messageboard and pretend you know way more than you do. Lets hear what you can do.

I do know my instrument, bud. I know it in a songwriting sense and a technical sense as I'm a student at Berklee College of Music. How the hell do you know what my attitude towards music is? You just like to rant on a messageboard and pretend you know way more than you do. Lets hear what you can do.

here is what I can do.... www.myspace.com/scariestcrow

so go FUCK yourself!!!

And also, if you're @ berklee, say hello to Zach from TED!!! Tell him I think your music fucking sucks! And tell him that I think you have a bad attitude. And tell him if had anything to do with recording your songs that I'll kick his ass!

Edited by browser

Ok , browser , your music simple is outdated , stuff ud hear in 1989 , production , attitude and tone wise.

the lyrics are very mediocre , and seven trys too hard, lyrically to appeal , alas it has not lasted in my head.

guitar wise , you have skill but nothing more than the avg winger/warrant cover artists.

id reccomend you leave ur self indulgence behind and start focusing your music ina modern direction , i hear no grunge or alternative , i heard hard rock .

so go FUCK yourself!!!

And also, if you're @ berklee, say hello to Zach from TED!!! Tell him I think your music fucking sucks! And tell him that I think you have a bad attitude. And tell him if had anything to do with recording your songs that I'll kick his ass!

Zach who? I have a bad attitude? I'm not the one coming onto message board trashing someone and being a complete dick for no reason. You think you're all high and mighty behind a computer screen. And no, these songs were recorded in 2 days for a school project, no one else was involved chief.

1. Browser... wtf man!? He was just pointing out bands with long intros... no harm there. He was hardly saying "I have long intros like Guns N' Roses, they are just as good, vital and intense!".

so go FUCK yourself!!!

Tell him I think your music fucking sucks! And tell him that I think you have a bad attitude. And tell him if had anything to do with recording your songs that I'll kick his ass!

There is a huge difference between honest opinions and just been fuckin' nasty. You say that he's got a bad attitude? Get bent.

You can do unoriginal compositions real fucking well. Congratulations. Medal?

so go FUCK yourself!!!

Back at ya, my thoughts exactly.

5. Production can kill songs. Your songs sound like they've been polished. You music and singer lacks balls.

Personal preference and its all down to taste, I guess. This is my opinion... You can't polish a turd and expect to get away with it. Your music bores me.

[All the above directed at Browser.]

1. Browser... wtf man!? He was just pointing out bands with long intros... no harm there. He was hardly saying "I have long intros like Guns N' Roses, they are just as good, vital and intense!".

so go FUCK yourself!!!

Tell him I think your music fucking sucks! And tell him that I think you have a bad attitude. And tell him if had anything to do with recording your songs that I'll kick his ass!

There is a huge difference between honest opinions and just been fuckin' nasty. You say that he's got a bad attitude? Get bent.

so go FUCK yourself!!!

5. Production can kill songs. Your songs sound like they've been polished. You music and singer lacks balls.

Personal preference and its all down to taste, I guess. This is my opinion... You can't polish a turd and expect to get away with it. Your music bores me.

Good thing there's other sane people on this board, I was worried.

so go FUCK yourself!!!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

I am the singer you idiot!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

sane people like your friends? LOL gettn your friends to post good things about you don't mean a thing.

And yeah, you oughtta know Zach, if you really go to Berklee and recorded a school project he would be the guy who runs the studio.

I don't see why someone at Berklee would record a school project outside school.... something smells iffy...

then again....

Sane people like your friends? LOL gettn your friends to post good things about you don't mean a thing.

I don't know the guy... I also haven't listened to his music yet.

Erm, that really is nothing to be proud of. So I'll rephrase my comment... You, as a singer, lack the balls required to try and sing that material.

My involvement in you're argument is over, you're boring and stupidly immature.

so go FUCK yourself!!!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

so go FUCK yourself!!!

sane people like your friends? LOL gettn your friends to post good things about you don't mean a thing.

And yeah, you oughtta know Zach, if you really go to Berklee and recorded a school project he would be the guy who runs the studio.

I don't see why someone at Berklee would record a school project outside school.... something smells iffy...

then again....

i recorded the project in may at my high school for my senior project. i started berklee this summer, i'm first semester. that recording was done at my house, not in a good studio (clearly). and i don't have friends on this forum, i check here for news, not to socialize.

Sane people like your friends? LOL gettn your friends to post good things about you don't mean a thing.

I don't know the guy... I also haven't listened to his music yet.

Erm, that really is nothing to be proud of. So I'll rephrase my comment... You, as a singer, lack the balls required to try and sing that material.

My involvement in you're argument is over, you're boring and stupidly immature.

I'm impressed over the quality of your argument. :)