Nils Lofgren is incredibly underrated

worldwideboss

He's a really great guitarist and when I saw Bruce & The E Street Band a couple of weeks ago he was great :) and he didn't use a pick which was quite weird... His self-titled solo debut from 1975 is great and he worked with Neil Young and Crazy Horse on a couple of albums - the first when he was 17-18 or something - how can he no be great?! :P

I knew he was good, playing with crazy horse and all that. Still my jaw dropped when he did the because the night solo in gothenburg a couple of weeks ago. I think one of the reviews from the show said something like "you can cut trees with that solo" He should defiently be acknowkloged more often when people talk about great guitarists

Stevie is still my favourite e-street guitarist though :D

and he worked with Neil Young and Crazy Horse on a couple of albums - the first when he was 17-18 or something - how can he no be great?! :P

He didn't just play with them, he was a member of Crazy Horse for a little while. :) And he played on After the Gold Rush, which was a Neil Young solo album - without Crazy Horse. Funny thing I read was that Neil assigned him to play the piano - an instrument he hadn't even touched before. :lol:

Edited by Lithium

and he worked with Neil Young and Crazy Horse on a couple of albums - the first when he was 17-18 or something - how can he no be great?! :P

He didn't just play with them, he was a member of Crazy Horse for a little while. :) And he played on After the Gold Rush, which was a Neil Young solo album - without Crazy Horse. Funny thing I read was that Neil assigned him to play the piano - an instrument he hadn't even touched before. :lol:

Yeah I know, he was a member on their debut album as a band - the selftitled Crazy Horse - and After The Gold Rush was the first album he played on with Neil or Crazy Horse... It the thing about the piano is actually true - he'd never touched it before so he practiced constantly until the recording sessions.

Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen...two artists i've almost totally ignored my whole life. dunno why either..well i do with Neil but its a bit embarassing to admit :lol:

How come?

in the case of Neil Young its REALLY immature and childish but you gotta remember it was a long time ago. there was this whole thing with him and Johnny Rotten where Johnny invited him to an interview on RottenTV but he refused saying that he only did interviews with people he's heard of. yet he wrote some song that goes: "the king is gone but he's not forgotten, this is the story of Johnny Rotten" and Johnny pointed all this out and...i know this is a stupid reason to dislike someones shit, despite never having heard a single song but...how can i explain this? to me punk rock was everything...especially at that age and it was like anything that came out of Johnny Rottens or Iggy Pops mouth was just fucking gospel. thats not to say it limited my tastes strictly, i've always been into a whole bunch of shit but...the things that were deemed dinosaurs or...y'know bands like The Stones and Led Zeppelin or even Elvis (someone else i've always loved) and a lot of like...metal and 80s glam (tons of others too, you know what i mean) was just considered like...i dunno, gimme a break, i was a kid, to me The Sex Pistols were like...it :lol: Never used to admit i liked the Beatles either even though i liked them from before The Pistols, flat out denied it actually. WHAT?!?! those hippies? pfft... :lol: So yeah, thats what that was.

Springsteen i just never considered but i saw Hail Hail Rock n Roll recently and he's in it talkin about opening for Chuck Berry and i sort of went ahhhhh, hmm, he might be worth checking out then :)

I don't know what to say, Frank, an attitude like that isn't very good if you ask me. You seem immensely knowledgeable, but I could only imagine how knowledgeable you would be if you wouldn't have let that punk pride be in your way of exploring new music. But, whatever, you seem to be a lot more open now. :)

Oh, and, the song Johnny was referring to is "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", the song that features the "It's better to burn out than to fade away" line that Kurt quoted in the last part of his suicide note. ;)

I don't know what to say, Frank, an attitude like that isn't very good if you ask me. You seem immensely knowledgeable, but I could only imagine how knowledgeable you would be if you wouldn't have let that punk pride be in your way of exploring new music. But, whatever, you seem to be a lot more open now. :)

Oh, and, the song Johnny was referring to is "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)", the song that features the "It's better to burn out than to fade away" line that Kurt quoted in the last part of his suicide note. ;)

i totally agree, it was a fucking stupid attittude but by the same token im glad i kinda went through that cuz...in a sense, the punk angle kinda widened my scope in many ways too with the whole "accept all music" type thing. it limited me definitely in terms of the big names of rock n roll but in every other sense it was a total eye opener. all kindsa weird obscure shit and like...reggae and...just anything that was kinda kooky and out there and authentic.

all very childish stuff really..but im not afraid to say i've been an idiot quite a bit in my time, its sort of how i learn :lol: ridiculous to limit yourself though...especially when punk is actually about the total opposite...people like me give it a bad name.

i know its an often abused term and im not really into any kind of limp romanticising but punk is/was ideologically the single most important thing in sort of...informing and shaping a lot of the things i actually believe in very strongly and that, to a great degree make me who i am. thats not to say im any more easily defined than others...its actually a very broad notion im talking about here.

Edited by ffrankwhite

• 1 month later...