The "Ask for recommendations" thread!

Gods Favourite

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When talking about Bowie, I'll always recommend Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane, especially when you enjoyed Ziggy Stardust. I'd probably just recommend you most of his early stuff, really. Try The Man Who Sold the World, too.

In regards to something I wanted to ask, what other Alanis Morissette albums should I give a listen? I already own Jagged Little Pill and I really liked it, but I haven't heard much about any of her other work.

Edited by BrandNewCadillac

As far as Bowie goes, I know I might get some disses for this one but I would actually recommend the soundtrack for the movie Labyrinth. Bowie did a lot of songs for that movie that I like quite a bit. Might have some trouble finding it but it's out there and well worth the purchase in my opinion.

The Beatles.

Is Love a good starting point, and if not, what is?

Well you should listen to the original stuff before taking on Love.

Abbey Road, Let it Be, White Album, Revolver would all be great points to start. Help and Hard Day's Night, if you want the older, cheesier stuff.

My best recommendation actually would be to listen to Please Please Me (the first one) and then just go over each album in chronological order and see every stage that the band went through (from cheesy pop band to expetimental and hallucinogenic stuff to wiser and more mature).

Anyway, any recommendations where to start with Nick Cave?

Thanks everybody. "Hunky Dory" is awesome, listening to it now, while downloading "Heroes" and "Diamond Dogs". I don't know what to expect from the last one, since no one mentioned that, but since it's from his earlier stuff it guess it can't be that bad :)

You're going to love Diamond Dogs. Songs like Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing reprise, Diamond Dogs and Rebel, Rebel are epic! :xmasssanta:

Thanks everybody. "Hunky Dory" is awesome, listening to it now, while downloading "Heroes" and "Diamond Dogs". I don't know what to expect from the last one, since no one mentioned that, but since it's from his earlier stuff it guess it can't be that bad :)

You're going to love Diamond Dogs. Songs like Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing reprise, Diamond Dogs and Rebel, Rebel are epic! :xmasssanta:

Correct, that album is really amazing! I love all of them :heart:

Well, since the "Last album you bought/downloaded" thread, which I got a lot of good recommendations from, was deleted, here's a thread for requesting recommendations like that.

I'll start off by asking you, what Bowie albums you find the best? I already have "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", which I find really good. What should I get now? :)

And don't flame me for being late with the Bowie stuff :tongue2:

Low

Outside

Earthling

Let's Dance

Heathen

Looking for some electropop to download...

Already got Freezepop's discography but looking for other recommendations!

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principal

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

The Postal Service - Give Up

Depeche Mode - Violator

of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (:heart:)

And maybe the Ting Tings

I've never heard of Freezepop, though, so those might not be the best recommendations of you're looking for something similar to them.

Edited by Black Monk Time

Bowie:

The Man Who Sold The World for more guitar-based hard rock

Aladdin Sane

Live Santa Monica '72 from the Ziggy Stardust tour (released this year), one of my favourite live albums of all time

and then you can check out his more experimental stuff like Low and "Heroes"...

Nick Cave's latest album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is very good, it's the only one I've really listened to so I can't recommend you anything else...

Edited by Soulseller

Looking for some electropop to download...

Already got Freezepop's discography but looking for other recommendations!

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principal

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

The Postal Service - Give Up

Depeche Mode - Violator

of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (:heart:)

And maybe the Ting Tings

I've never heard of Freezepop, though, so those might not be the best recommendations of you're looking for something similar to them.

Cheers man!

I've already got all of The Postal Services stuff as I'm a huge Death Cab fan so if its anything like Postal ill love it!

For electropop - Postal Service all the way.

Their cover of Against All Odds is mindblowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehHqPfRhPo

Also try MGMT, if you hadn't already.

@Sandman:

I don't really dig DMX, but stay away from his late stuff. He's a shit-machine today. "It's Dark..." is his best work, IMO. You would like "And Then There Was X" I think, anything after that album is a huge pile of donkey crap except for an occasional decent track. Id recommend Onyx for some hardcore rap. Their debut - Bacdafucup is great.

Still haven't got my Nick Cave recommendations...

Still haven't got my Nick Cave recommendations...

Yes you have. Although I suppose it's not that helpful :P

Nick Cave's latest album Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is very good, it's the only one I've really listened to so I can't recommend you anything else...
Edited by Soulseller

@Sandman:

I don't really dig DMX, but stay away from his late stuff. He's a shit-machine today. "It's Dark..." is his best work, IMO. You would like "And Then There Was X" I think, anything after that album is a huge pile of donkey crap except for an occasional decent track. Id recommend Onyx for some hardcore rap. Their debut - Bacdafucup is great.

Cheers mate, will check it out. Sorry I can't help you on the Cave front!