Musicians on Other Musicians

Memnoch The Devil

Post any and all comments you know of great musicians commenting on other great musicians. Here's some interesting ones I found:

Elvis on The Beatles, December 1970 to Pres Nixon. He claimed the Beatles had ''been a real force for anti-American spirit.'' Elvis said the Beatles "came to this country, made their money, and then returned to England where they promoted an anti-American theme''

John Lennon on Led Zeppelin, 1970:

Q: “Do you think in terms of feelings? Do you think of music, popular music, in terms of emotional reaction as opposed to saying something…”

JOHN: “I think in any of those terms. You know, I just think it’s either something I like or don’t like or it’s heavy or it’s light. I like heavy music, I call it rock. I like Zeppelin, I’ve only heard a couple you know, they’re okay.

Lennon on the Rolling Stones, 1980:

''You know, they're congratulating the Stones on being together 112 years. Whoopee (laughs), you know... whoopee. At least Charlie and Bill still got their families. In the '80s they'll be asking, Why are these guys still together? Can't they hack it on their own? Why do they have to be surrounded by a gang? Is the little leader frightened someone's gonna knife him in the back? That's gonna be the question. They're gonna look at the Beatles and Stones and all those guys as relics. They'll be showing pictures of the guy with lipstick wriggling his ass and the four guys with the evil black makeup on their eyes trying to look raunchy. That's gonna be the joke in the future.''

Steven Tyler, 2007: "Mick Jagger is my hero to this day"

The Clash on Led Zeppelin: ''"I don't even have to listen to their music. Just looking at one of their album covers makes me want to vomit''

Kurt Cobain on Guns N' Roses, February 1992, "They're really talentless people and they write crap music"

Axl Rose to Kurt Cobain, October 1991: "You're everything I could've been"

Axl Rose on Nirvana, early 1992: "Nirvana has helped me do my job''

The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin was written after George Harrison (Beatles), who was a huge fan, told them their only problem was they didn't write ballads. Also, supposedly, at one of his birthday parties, John Bonham got so drunk he picked Harrison up and threw him in the pool.

John Lennon didn't like Queen. They tried to join Apple Records but were rejected because Lennon wasn't a fan.

Edited by Memnoch The Devil

Kevin Barnes on GN'R:

Well, where do I begin? (First, I must clarify that I am speaking about Appetite For Destruction-era G'n'R and not Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, because at that point I had come to my senses.) I loved that they all had these fun names: Izzy, Slash, Axl, Duff and, um, Steven. They seemed very dangerous. They were like the older kids in my neighborhood who hung out by the gas station where I bought my Garbage Pail Kids. Kids who smoked cigarettes and harassed housewives. My favorite song of theirs was either "It's So Easy" or "Rocket Queen".

He had good taste in Guns N' Roses back then, what with the favourite songs and not liking the UYIs. The rest of the column that's from is hilarious. Link.

You're Ode to Axl, right? Your opinion on music doesn't matter. Sorry

Nice quick edit mate. And you don't make any sense.

Barnes should stick to churning out about two trashy indie pop albums a year. His opinion on music is, well, as irrelevant as mine or yours.

Start listening to some real music btw.

Here's a start for ya:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nRtS9BL14Gg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g3C7DECI0jU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BJqNxKdgyqM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H8shnOcVmZg

I wonder how long it took you to Google and find out who he is. And yes, he should keep churning albums out every year; I've already lost hope on LP10 coming out this year. :(

Led Zeppelin were good, but sucked after IV; Oasis are awful; the Beatles are great, though! -- The White Album is one of my favourite albums ever; :rofl-lol: . Don't mistake boring dad rock for "real music."

Mogwai on the late Ron Asheton:

"He seemed to play really instinctively, really raw, he had amazing guitar playing. Songs like 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' were really simple but with the kind of riff that you can't believe no-one had thought of before. That was just absolutely amazing."

Since there's a lot of quotes about the Stones, David Bowie on Jagger:

"I think Mick Jagger would be astounded and amazed if he realized that to many people he is not a sex symbol, but a mother image."

I wonder how long it took you to Google and find out who he is. And yes, he should keep churning albums out every year; I've already lost hope on LP10 coming out this year. :(

Led Zeppelin were good, but sucked after IV; Oasis are awful; the Beatles are great, though! -- The White Album is one of my favourite albums ever; :rofl-lol: . Don't mistake boring dad rock for "real music."

Mogwai on the late Ron Asheton:

"He seemed to play really instinctively, really raw, he had amazing guitar playing. Songs like 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' were really simple but with the kind of riff that you can't believe no-one had thought of before. That was just absolutely amazing."

Since there's a lot of quotes about the Stones, David Bowie on Jagger:

"I think Mick Jagger would be astounded and amazed if he realized that to many people he is not a sex symbol, but a mother image."

Zeppelin sucked after IV? What about Houses of the Holy & Physical Graffiti? Those were much more interesting than I-IV.

Agreed that Oasis are awful, but the Beatles are amazing, so shove your sarcasm up your ass.