The Stone Roses

LightningBolt

The Stone Roses vs. Second Coming  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I've been getting into this band for a little while now, and I'm just wondering which of these two albums do you like better? Their self-titled debut is considered a very important and influential album, and it's reviews are phenomenal all around. Their second album has been known as a bit of a let down, some say due to the large wait inbetween the two albums and the hype the first one drew to the band, and has pretty much minimal resemblance to their debut, sound-wise.

Now, I personally feel Second Coming is the better album. Every song on the album is gold, the worst one probably being "Breaking Into Heaven". The guitar riffs and solos in the album are mind-numbing. The album sounds like something from the 70's, with what sounds like strong Cream and Led Zeppelin influences in it. I think it's a largely underrated album, and as I stated, I feel it's a better album than their debut.

Well... The Stone Roses is my favourite album of all time, and while Second Coming has a few good tracks and qualities of its own it doesn't hold a candle to the debut. I can't for the life of me understand why the Roses were ever to dabble with Jimmy Page guitars, hard rock and electronica when they were master craftsmen of excellent pop music (check out the compilation Turns Into Stone, it's as good as a full-length album). Second Coming could be used for anti-drug campaigns - they had everything after Spike Island and fucked it all up.

With that said; goddamn, is "How Do You Sleep" a great song or what?

Well... The Stone Roses is my favourite album of all time, and while Second Coming has a few good tracks and qualities of its own it doesn't hold a candle to the debut. I can't for the life of me understand why the Roses were ever to dabble with Jimmy Page guitars, hard rock and electronica when they were master craftsmen of excellent pop music (check out the compilation Turns Into Stone, it's as good as a full-length album). Second Coming could be used for anti-drug campaigns - they had everything after Spike Island and fucked it all up.

With that said; goddamn, is "How Do You Sleep" a great song or what?

Haha, forgive me, I love my Hard Rock with a passion, and it doesn't really need to be said that Second Coming delves deeper into the Hard Rock territory. :lol:

And yes, "How Do You Sleep" is a beautiful song. My favorite from the album after "Tears"!

That's an impossible decision for me. Totally impossible. I love them both so much, and their so different it's hard to compare. Was listening to Driving South right before I saw this thread, what a groove that song has! Slight edge to the debut for me overall but agree with you, there's not a dull track on TSC.

Cool thread.

Edit : Changed my mind, TSC wins it for me. I love that record too much to not vote for it.

Edited by Snake Eyes

I bought that first album just the other day. I think its the first anyway, the one with the grapefruit lookin' thing on the cover? Ain't listened to it yet though, cept that song Fools Gold, which i've heard before. I like it, light and funky. Gonna give the album a day in court though :)

Now, I personally feel Second Coming is the better album. Every song on the album is gold, the worst one probably being "Breaking Into Heaven". The guitar riffs and solos in the album are mind-numbing. The album sounds like something from the 70's, with what sounds like strong Cream and Led Zeppelin influences in it. I think it's a largely underrated album, and as I stated, I feel it's a better album than their debut.

I completely agree (except for the Breaking Into Heaven part. I'd say How Do You Sleep is the weakest song, imo). Second Coming is so underrated, it's not even funny. The guitar work on it is amazing (especially Driving South. Nothing beats that riff).

Either way, it doesn't matter... both albums are great.