PEARL JAM, Melbourne Australia. Nov 20th.

maXx

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but heck, I just wanted to have a rave about Pearl Jam, whom I went to see last night. I can't remember the last time I was at a concert where the headliners (or anyone for that matter) rocked so hard for so long. Eddi & the guys belted, and sweated and poured out their soul with songs old and older for two and a half full hours. They played in a huge footy stadium at the end of a freak, week-long heat wave - and event management chose to keep the roof closed. Eddi made more than one remark about that; it would have topped the night had we been under the stars, with a cool breeze. There was only one tiny short 10 minute break, before PJ came back on with Eddi on acoustic.. and soon joined by Ben Harper (who played support earlier)

Eddi jumped off stage, walked through the crowd and gave out a few tambourines. We don't have barricades here, separating the fans from the band. And (luckily) we don't have a mass of bodyguards and security visible everywhere, though there are bouncers (security) around. Everyone was cool, cause we aussies don't mob celebrities :D Eddi just casually walked among the crowd. The guys then kicked several footballs (egg-shaped ones :P ) into the crowd after Eddi had rolled back onto the stage. They just rocked, and had a good time along with us. After Daughter (where they threw in a few short impromptu bars of The Wall at the end) Eddi yelled out - 'good singing Melbourne!' Nothing much makes a good concert better than when a stadium crowd belts out the tunes in one very loud voice. Then the guitarists (& band minus Eddi) had their shot at freaking out on a few solos, they were all soaked. PJ wound up the night with Baba O'Riley - teenage wasteland (which is when Eddi thanked us so profoundly and so humbly) and then it was all over. And about 50 000 people filed slowly (very slowly) out the stadium to the only exit to the train station next door. Lucky everyone was cool, even though we just had a sudden stinking heat wave after a long cold winter.

I'm so rapt to have been able to catch this band live. AC/DC is playing the same venue next year - in summer too. Hopefully they give in and open the roof.

Oh, this absolutely deserves its own thread, every Pearl Jam concert does! Seems and sounds like you had a blast, great! :D

Reminds me very much of the concert I saw this summer, Pearl Jam in Berlin! Sadly the didn't play Baba O'Riley, but instead the went through Sonic Reducer and Rockin in the free world, which had a special meaning this year in Berin, really cool! Best night of the year for me!

It's unbelievable how they always put on a great show, with totally different setlists each night and they still rock them out flawlessly. When I met Stone and Mike the next day, Mike said "See you next summer" after the conversation, so I hope this comes true, 'cause then I plan on going to more then just one concert!

Edited by Spoon87

i've always been a casual fan, but i just knew they would put on a good show cause they are a quality band. this has sealed it for me, i only hope the next time i am closer to the stage.

oh yeah, sonic reducer, wow.

Edited by maXx diaTribE

Sounds like an insane gig. You always get your monies worth out of PJ. It's so cool that they never stick to one setlist and they can probably play 3/4 songs from their catalog at any given time, which is huge. Seeing them in Brisbane on Wednesday. It is going to kick ass. Btw why are they back in australia next year?

this is from a review on the PJ gig in perth on saty night: Vedder touched on the recent Britney Spears lip-synching debacle, which

sparked calls for artists to declare if they would be lip- synching

during concerts.

"I have a public service announcement to make -

there will be some lip-synching tonight," Vedder joked. "Not... so I can

dance or change outfits, it's so I can drink and smoke. I just thought

I should declare that because of the new rules."

Then later on...

"I'm lip-synching," Vedder joked as the crowd carried Better Man

Sounds like an insane gig. You always get your monies worth out of PJ. It's so cool that they never stick to one setlist and they can probably play 3/4 songs from their catalog at any given time, which is huge. Seeing them in Brisbane on Wednesday. It is going to kick ass. Btw why are they back in australia next year?

this is from a review on the PJ gig in perth on saty night: Vedder touched on the recent Britney Spears lip-synching debacle, which

during concerts.

Then later on...

ha ha that's funny, i would've loved to hear that. i was shocked when i heard brittney would do that, why would you pay to go see someone make a goose of themselves.. but plenty did and said it was good. :question: i don't get it. sounds like a money-grab.

btw - are they coming back next year?? i dunno.

Have a good one on Wed.

during concerts.

Then later on...

ha ha that's funny, i would've loved to hear that. i was shocked when i heard brittney would do that, why would you pay to go see someone make a goose of themselves.. but plenty did and said it was good. :question: i don't get it. sounds like a money-grab.

btw - are they coming back next year?? i dunno.

Have a good one on Wed.

Pearl jam are pretty awesome hope they come back soon

I'Ve heard some reports, that they're going to take the upcoming year off because of their families, but I still remember that Mike seemed to have some serious info on touring in 2010, nameing Italy for example, touring Backspacer, and PJ isn't that type of band that's telling bullshit.

I just hope they come back next year, that would be the best thing ever.

I'Ve heard some reports, that they're going to take the upcoming year off because of their families, but I still remember that Mike seemed to have some serious info on touring in 2010, nameing Italy for example, touring Backspacer, and PJ isn't that type of band that's telling bullshit.

That would be great if they did and it fitted in with my trip to europe. how did you get to meet mike and stone?

That would be great if they did and it fitted in with my trip to europe. how did you get to meet mike and stone?

The day after the concert, we had some hours left until we had to take the train back home, so the two friends who came with me to see PJ and me, we made a bit of sightseeing in Berlin. Suddenly we were in front of the Ritz Carlton and I just thought "Fuck it, why the hell not" and went to ask the guy in front of the hotel if Pearl Jam stayed there the night before. He said "No, and if they had, I wouldn't tell you", but winked at me, as he walked towards 3 huge black vans which approached the main entrance of the hotel. As he opened the door, Boom Gaspar sneaked out of the car, and smiled when he saw how starstruck we were. Right after him came Stone, and just then we had our brains together again to ask him if he would take a picture with us. He agreed, but wasn't really that talkative, 'cause he was "fuckin tired as last night was crazy".

When we took the picture with Stone, Jeff & Matt went into the hotel, behind us, so we couldn't really catch them.

After that, we stood there for a few minutes in shock, not really being able to get what just has happened, when Mike came out, and went right into our direction. We asked him too, and he was really awesome, making sure that everyone's getting their stuff signed (10 euros of a friend of mine, my "Oceans"sign and the ticket to the show from my other friend), and answering our questions, asking us how we found the show and talking about the new album, when some more fans approached us, so he stayed and this went on for 10 - 15 minutes. Then he proceeded to go to Starbucks to get a coffee, we saw him standing in line... :D

So yeah, this was me meeting the guys, it was just crazy ass luck.

By the way, Eddie was nowhere to be see.. ;)

Edited by Spoon87

My first PJ concert and it was incredible, that setlist was orgasmic. I was worried that eddie's voice would have still been f!ked (he has the flu three days ago and during the sydney concert which he almost got through but had to stop after 28 songs during crazy mary (lol only PJ), but he said next time around he will knock $20 off ticket prices for sydney), but I was wrong.. The band killed it on stage. Highlights for me were when eddie came out for under pressure during ben harpers set, even flow and RVM. Oh and I guess I should show these two items rock3

Image005-1.jpg

They also played Modern girl, another brick in the wall, schools out (in honour of the schoolies)..... If you want blood (You've got it) (AC/DC) which was followed by blood haha.

are you a 10c member spoon?

Edited by Vogstar90_G'N'R

My first PJ concert and it was incredible, that setlist was orgasmic. I was worried that eddie's voice would have still been f!ked (he has the flu three days ago and during the sydney concert which he almost got through but had to stop after 28 songs during crazy mary (lol only PJ), but he said next time around he will knock $20 off ticket prices for sydney), but I was wrong.. The band killed it on stage. Highlights for me were when eddie came out for under pressure during ben harpers set, even flow and RVM. Oh and I guess I should show these two items rock3

Image005-1.jpg

They also played Modern girl, another brick in the wall, schools out (in honour of the schoolies)..... If you want blood (You've got it) (AC/DC) which was followed by blood haha.

so the gig was great for you. and you scored a setlist.. magic. i'm not surprised eddi got the flu, australia's weather has been all over the place, especially down here in melb. i noticed you highlighted a pretty impressive set of covers. that's what makes pj a standout band for me; they have heroes just like we do. and they make you feel like they're just one of the guys.

edit.. - i just noticed the pick (care to part with that??)

So, it really seems like Pearl Jam is coming back to Europe next summer! FUCK YEAH! This is easily the best news this year, since the touring announcement for this summer! HAHA!!! Wooooooooohoooooooooo!!!! Bring it on, guys!

"I just wanna scream, HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" :D

would go see them anytime they toured my town too. well worth it, they got an excellent review in our media as well, of course. Edited by maXx diaTribE

Image005-1.jpg

so the gig was great for you. and you scored a setlist.. magic. i'm not surprised eddi got the flu, australia's weather has been all over the place, especially down here in melb. i noticed you highlighted a pretty impressive set of covers. that's what makes pj a standout band for me; they have heroes just like we do. and they make you feel like they're just one of the guys.

edit.. - i just noticed the pick (care to part with that??)

So, it really seems like Pearl Jam is coming back to Europe next summer! FUCK YEAH! This is easily the best news this year, since the touring announcement for this summer! HAHA!!! Wooooooooohoooooooooo!!!! Bring it on, guys!

"I just wanna scream, HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" :D

would go see them anytime they toured my town too. well worth it, they got an excellent review in our media as well, of course.

haha no way... too much sentimental value for me. They were incredible, so much interaction with the crowd, eddie lit up two cigarettes and each time threw the zippo out into the audience, wish i got one as i need a new zippo. Anyway i am just getting over the withdrawl symptoms of the concert. Will be pumped if they do end up touring europe next year like spoon said.