Damn The Torpedoes

LightningBolt

I've always thought of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers as being sort of average. I've only ever owned their Greatest Hits which had a few catchy songs, and really the only songs I ever hear from them anywhere. Yesterday I was at the library and picked up a few CDs and I saw Damn The Torpedoes and I thought 'why not?' and grabbed it. I haven't listened through the entire thing, but so far every track has been nice, catchy, and pretty darn good. I've probably never listened to an album that's been as consistent as this has. Each album usually has its high and lows, or isn't really all that entertaining throughout, but each second I've been listening to this album I've been digging it. "What Are You Doin' In My Life?" has just come up and, really, it's just a fantastic album. I suggest it to anyone who's only heard the singles from Petty and don't really think all that much from him. It's just been a great listen.

For me it was the other way around actually. I was already into Petty and bought Damn The Torpedoes expecting a brilliant album since it's one of his most critically acclaimed ones. I was dissappointed though, I thought it was pretty avarage.

Nah, I'd say that the best Tom Petty album by far is Full Moon Fever. There's not a single song on there that's not enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I have two Petty albums, Into the Great Wide Open and Let Me Up. I can't even begin to describe how dull and unremarkable these two albums were. I bought them because I liked the main singles off each and also liked a bunch of his other songs. I figured it was a safe bet but I was wrong.

He's a greatest hits guy for me. His 1993 GH album is packed with cool tunes.