Favorite current artist/band on the charts-

nikki minaj on ass principle alone.

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon-

four tet.

Favorite music scene in a given period-

90s hip-hop, 60s jazz, 00s indie.

The best singer ever (at least this week)-

björk.

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it-

beefheart, zappa, residents--all them avant dudes, basically.

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap-

big, but neither are top 5. pac isn't even top 20.

Most irksomely popular artist/band-

drake, probably, but i'm not hating on anybody. dude's doing his thing, he just doesn't deserve as much as others.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Punk debut-Nevermind the Bollocks

Neil Young or Bob Dylan-Bob

Favorite current artist/band on the charts-Lady Gaga

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon-Enceldus, which is a local Atlanta band.

Favorite music scene in a given period-Hmm, Tough but ill go with the industrial 90's stuff.

The best singer ever (at least this week)-Axl

AC/DC: Bon or Brian-Dont like either but I like Brian only slightly better.

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it-Pearl Jam! Some of my best memories come from Pearl Jam(My best music memory is loosing my virginity to Closer by Nin).

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap-Pac

Most irksomely popular artist/band-Ke$ha

Favorite Punk debut- The Ramones

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- Green Day

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- Guns N' Roses

Favorite music scene in a given period- 80's Rock

The best singer ever (at least this week)- Elvis

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- Bon

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- H.I.M.

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- Pac

Most irksomely popular artist/band- Dave Matthews Band

Favorite Punk debut- No idea, someone recommend me something

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Dylan

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- Jay-Z/Gaga

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- A shit ton, just gonna say My Morning Jacket I guess, of Montreal as well

Favorite music scene in a given period- 90's Seattle Grunge, 90's England Britpop

The best singer ever (at least this week)- No clue

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- Come on, its so obvious!

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- Guns N' Roses/ Van Halen

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- Biggie, Pac never did it for me

Most irksomely popular artist/band- Kings of Leon

Favorite Punk debut- No idea, someone recommend me something

UK punk is where it all began .. apart from the obvious now-commercial sex pistols i'd recommend to you flux of pink indians or rudimentary peni. the latter being a little thrashier

if you want something a tad easier but still in that vein go for omega tribe (my fave) or stiff little fingers (irish band from the north)

Edited by maXx

Favorite Punk debut- if The Stooges are accepted as punk then their first album, otherwise The Cramps' Songs The Lord Thaught Us.

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Dylan. No contest.

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- N/A

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- DNA

Favorite music scene in a given period- No Wave (NY)

The best singer ever (at least this week)- Mark Sultan

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- Bon. No contest. Brians stuff is boring.

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- N/A

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- Tupac.

Most irksomely popular artist/band- all of the populars.

Favorite Punk debut- not a punk fan really

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Neil Young

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- Lady GaGa xD

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- Amorphis

Favorite music scene in a given period- NWOBHM

The best singer ever (at least this week)- Ronnie James Dio

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- Brian

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- Pain of Salvation or Def Leppard

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- Pac,

Most irksomely popular artist/band- Nirvana

UK isn't where it all began. It began in New York with Television, Ramones, Patti Smith, Richard Hell, Johnny Thunders etc. Personally I love both the London and NY scenes but I prefer the NY scene slightly.

well if that's what you think then i guess it depends on what you call punk. i was thinking political anarcho punk [hardcore], that's punk to me.

As for the "scene" question, I did mean both time and place. "The 70s" wouldn't technically be a correct answer. But who gives a shit.

Favorite music scene in a given period- 70s of course, with bowie, the sweet, skyhooks, tRex, Status Quo, .. so many .. the slade, fleetwood mac, too many to list

... mid 70s UK pop is that better?

Edited by maXx

UK isn't where it all began. It began in New York with Television, Ramones, Patti Smith, Richard Hell, Johnny Thunders etc. Personally I love both the London and NY scenes but I prefer the NY scene slightly.

well if that's what you think then i guess it depends on what you call punk. i was thinking political anarcho punk [hardcore], that's punk to me.

True. I won't argue with you on that, since our definitions of punk differs.

then again, if you want to see it your way you need to go back a little sooner to the velvet underground yeah?

then again, if you want to see it your way you need to go back a little sooner to the velvet underground yeah?

You could do that, yes. But the actual punk scene didn't start until Television and Patti Smith started playing at CBGB's. There's always the problem of when to draw the line...like you said, you could start with VU and (talking only New York) go through the New York Dolls and then the CBGB scene and you could make valid arguments for many different scenarios. Personally I go for the VU+NYD=proto-punk, the CBGB scene=the beginning of punk, the London scene=continuation and partly radicalization (although things went partly in a more commercial way too) of the NY scene and then on to everything else.

You could do that, yes. But the actual punk scene didn't start until Television and Patti Smith started playing at CBGB's. There's always the problem of when to draw the line...like you said, you could start with VU and (talking only New York) go through the New York Dolls and then the CBGB scene and you could make valid arguments for many different scenarios. Personally I go for the VU+NYD=proto-punk, the CBGB scene=the beginning of punk, the London scene=continuation and partly radicalization (although things went partly in a more commercial way too) of the NY scene and then on to everything else.

post radicalisation always comes commercial. thats evident with so many scenes, not just music. but i agree with your scenarios pretty much. malcolm maclaren had the idea from the new york dolls and john lydon came along at the right time. the thing that stands out for me is the spread of idealogical anarchy in music across brittain after that, which to me embodies what punk is all about. imperfect bands driven by anger and truth without the pursuit of the dollar.. and not afraid to get in the face of it all.

post radicalisation always comes commercial. thats evident with so many scenes, not just music. but i agree with your scenarios pretty much. malcolm maclaren had the idea from the new york dolls and john lydon came along at the right time. the thing that stands out for me is the spread of idealogical anarchy in music across brittain after that, which to me embodies what punk is all about. imperfect bands driven by anger and truth without the pursuit of the dollar.. and not afraid to get in the face of it all.

Yeah, I agree. Personally that's not the only thing that I consider to be "punk" (not saying that you do either), it's a part of it but I'm mainly focused on the music itself...at least when it comes to my own opinions. I've written a 70 page paper about the social and political part of punk and its effects so I know what you're talking about :)

Yeah, I agree. Personally that's not the only thing that I consider to be "punk" (not saying that you do either), it's a part of it but I'm mainly focused on the music itself...at least when it comes to my own opinions. I've written a 70 page paper about the social and political part of punk and its effects so I know what you're talking about :)

cool.gif impressive. i love the music too, but still i'm the one who needs to take a back seat to you in this case.

Obviously, in hindsight, it's more correct to say the brits took punk to its extreme. did you grade well on your paper?

cool.gif impressive. i love the music too, but still i'm the one who needs to take a back seat to you in this case.

Obviously, in hindsight, it's more correct to say the brits took punk to its extreme. did you grade well on your paper?

Yeah, exactly. It evolved more by each step, and in different directions also, at one hand we got the hardcore punk, and anarcho punk and all that, and on the other side there was also pop-punk and also other genres evolving from punk (post-punk, new wave, indie rock and any number of genre-mixes). Yeah, the highest grade :) I had a lot of fun too since I was writing about something I actually gave a shit about for once :lol: I wrote it a few years ago though so I'd probably have lots of complaints about it if I read it today...plus, it was mainly about first wave punk so my knowledge doesn't really extend to anarcho punk and the like...

Edited by Shuffle

Favorite Punk debut- Demics, Talk's Cheap

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Dylan

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- Slash will hit the charts soon...so,I'll go with Slash

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- anything with Alex Chilton

Favorite music scene in a given period- 50's "rock n roll",60's British Invasion,70's tie: hard rock and punk,80's hardcore,90's..NIN sounding stuff,2000's...ummmm,uhhhh

The best singer ever (at least this week)- Pop?...this week we'll go with Frank Sinatra

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- definitely Bon...always

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- Bowie

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- no beefs with rap,but I don't care

Most irksomely popular artist/band- Green Day

Edited by zint61

Favorite Punk debut- Never Mind The Bollocks seems to be a favroite around here..it's also mine's.

Neil Young or Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan

Favorite current artist/band on the charts- Dunno what's on the charts. :shrugs:

Artist/band you would like to listen to more of soon- Megadeth

Favorite music scene in a given period- Scene? Dunno...period? Mid-late 80s, early 90s

The best singer ever (at least this week)- Axl.

AC/DC: Bon or Brian- Bon

Artist/band you listened to tons of in the past, and wish you still would, but you never feel like it- Ehh, I'm not sure.

Biggie or Pac or I don't like Rap- Biggie

Most irksomely popular artist/band- At the moment, Lady Gaga

Edited by WhatsHerface

Yeah, exactly. It evolved more by each step, and in different directions also, at one hand we got the hardcore punk, and anarcho punk and all that, and on the other side there was also pop-punk and also other genres evolving from punk (post-punk, new wave, indie rock and any number of genre-mixes). Yeah, the highest grade :) I had a lot of fun too since I was writing about something I actually gave a shit about for once :lol: I wrote it a few years ago though so I'd probably have lots of complaints about it if I read it today...plus, it was mainly about first wave punk so my knowledge doesn't really extend to anarcho punk and the like...

true, there were a lot of spin offs and directions. it's something that can be debated endlessly as it seems to mean something different to everyone. But i think when people refer to something as being so punk rock we al know what they mean laugh.gif

But i think when people refer to something as being so punk rock we al know what they mean

What do they mean?? :confused:

now now get with it zint rolleyes.gif

I'm trying...that's why I asked.

What does "that's so punk rock" mean??