Old GNR Would Have Gotten Boring

Axl Knows

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, which is it? Old Guns would have got boring? Or Slash's solo material sucks? They are two entirely different theses.

Both. Slash's laziness and lack inspiration + creativity post AFD ruined GNR and ruined his solo career.

I think Slither is one of the best rock songs since the UYI albums. It absolutley rocks out. The guitar solo has such amazing energy. I agree with most of Linies& Noses post. Chinese Democracy is better than Contraband. It should be. Compare the time it took to make both albums.

Oh by the way. Why am I here? Because I was a die hard GNR fan before you were born that's why.

Chinese D is better than Libertad by an enormous margin but the time it took to make the albums really isn't relevant. That kind of attitude is what has led to CD being massively underrated among critics. It's like thinking that Smile should have been the best album ever because it was in development for almost fourty years. Stupid.

You were a die hard GNR fan in June 1974? C'mon mate. Today''s GNR are a better band than then the UYI tour lineup. It's a fact. Just accept it and move on with your life dude.

Edited by Axl Knows

Well, which is it? Old Guns would have got boring? Or Slash's solo material sucks? They are two entirely different theses.

Yeah. Funny how a thread about "old Guns" was really just a ploy to flame Slash. Whatever. Why can't you people just let it go? You love nothing more than to talk about someone or something you despise. Who the fuck cares? All you're doing is stating your opinion as fact anyway.

All of you Axl fluffers are so focused on Slash (subconsciously jealous much?) that you forget that Izzy Stradlin was the main creative force in the band.

LOLOLOLOL. Izzy made some nice contributions to AFD but he hasn't written anything even half-decent since. Axl was the main creative force behind the band and it isn't close. Post AFD the ONLY good songwriter and creative member of the former GNR lineup has been Axl.

All of you Axl fluffers are so focused on Slash (subconsciously jealous much?) that you forget that Izzy Stradlin was the main creative force in the band.

LOLOLOLOL. Izzy made some nice contributions to AFD but he hasn't written anything even half-decent since. Axl was the main creative force behind the band and it isn't close. Post AFD the ONLY good songwriter and creative member of the former GNR lineup has been Axl.

Wrong.

According to ASCAP the only 2 songs Axl Rose ever wrote by himself are "My World" and "This I Love." :lol:

Edited by Ed Vega

Funny thing is, what makes that song timeless is Axl's vocal delivery and the vocal melodies, which Axl wrote. The riffs are only decent.

Another song raised to a much higher level by W. Axl Rose...

Funny how Axl hasn't been able to come up with anything "timeless" since 1991 ...

Both. Slash's laziness and lack inspiration + creativity post AFD ruined GNR and ruined his solo career.

Slash's laziness? He's released 5 albums + contributed to loads more.

As for his creativity does this mean you don;t like the illusions? His work on YCBM, November Rain, Estranged (which Axl gave him special thanks for in the album sleeve), or Coma.

What ruined GnR were musical differences in the band. Axl himself has said many times that he wanted to take slash with him, it was not that suddenyl he thought Slash didn;t cut the mustard. I admit these tensions were already evident on the UYI albums but it had sod all to with Slash's ability any more than it had to do with Axls' ability or any other member.

I think Slither is one of the best rock songs since the UYI albums. It absolutley rocks out. The guitar solo has such amazing energy. I agree with most of Linies& Noses post. Chinese Democracy is better than Contraband. It should be. Compare the time it took to make both albums.

Oh by the way. Why am I here? Because I was a die hard GNR fan before you were born that's why.

Chinese D is better than Libertad by an enormous margin but the time it took to make the albums really isn't relevant. That kind of attitude is what has led to CD being massively underrated among critics. It's like thinking that Smile should have been the best album ever because it was in development for almost fourty years. Stupid.

You were a die hard GNR fan in June 1974? C'mon mate. Today''s GNR are a better band than then the UYI tour lineup. It's a fact. Just accept it and move on with your life dude.

For the most part they are just covering songs by other musicians? If that makes them better why not just go and see any generic GnR cover band you will save a packet?

Funny thing is, what makes that song timeless is Axl's vocal delivery and the vocal melodies, which Axl wrote. The riffs are only decent.

Funny how Axl hasn't been able to come up with anything "timeless" since 1991 ...

To be fair, CD was released too recently to judge that... not all great albums are critically acclaimed upon release. And most great albums are never even famous...

Slash has actually been putting out alot more music since 1991 than Axl has, and none of it has been even close to the level of Chinese D. In other words, we have more than enough Slash material to judge that he is a poor songwriter... Axl's just getting started.

Izzy wrote a lot of AFD, + lies + UYI.

He also helped get VR going and is just sensational on "ghost" opener on Slashs new album, clearly the chemistry is still there.

He was an integral part of GnR.

Slash has actually been putting out alot more music since 1991 than Axl has, and none of it has been even close to the level of Chinese D. In other words, we have more than enough Slash material to judge that he is a poor songwriter

Back to Slash, eh? No one ever claimed Slash was a great songwriter - he's just a great lead guitarist. Only one piece of the puzzle. It was the combination of Izzy, Axl, Slash and Duff that made timeless music. It's just Axl fluffers like you that think a band is made up of one man.

Axl's just getting started.

Oh please facepalm.gif

Just caught the title of this thread "Old GNR would have gotten boring" .....are you serious??? You must be under 20 years old, gotta be. If not your an idiot, sorry..GNR from 1989 thru 1993 were the biggest thing around. Wether your parents hated them, or your little sister loved them, everyone knew who they were and when they were going to be in town. The radio stations played GNR all day long, from AFD, Lies (including the older stuff) on thru Illusions 1 & 2, and bootleg live songs. Where I lived (Waterford, Michigan) if you listend to the radio you COULD NOT MAKE IT THRU THE DAY WITHOUT HEARING AT LEAST 7 DIFFERNT GNR TUNES!! Like Ozzy Osbourne said, "if they stayed together they would have been bigger than the Rolling Stones. You cannot have that type of media exposure and WORLDWIDE success AND FAIL, not possible, there ticket was written. They imploded, simple as that. But to say they would have been boring is just plain stupid. Axl would have served time by now, Slash would probably be dead, so would Duff. GNR stopping probably saved lives, thats how big they were. If they never broke up this website probably doesnt exist, who would need 5 different fansites to dish on the biggest music act in the world. Boring??? I'm still amazed that GNR and boring got used in the same sentance...unbelievable...

Edited by ll_tj1

To be fair, CD was released too recently to judge that... not all great albums are critically acclaimed upon release. And most great albums are never even famous...

Slash has actually been putting out alot more music since 1991 than Axl has, and none of it has been even close to the level of Chinese D. In other words, we have more than enough Slash material to judge that he is a poor songwriter... Axl's just getting started.

Dude he had 20 years just like Slash. Some of the songs on chi dem are at least 10 years old, how long do you think they will get the recognition you think they deserve?

Truth is those songs are good but not great and can;t compare to what the AFD line up did.

But what about the old argument of OH BUT WAIT TOMMY HAS BEEN IN THIS BAND FOR TWENTY MILLION YEARS NOW that people use to defend the idea that this is GNR and all that stuff? This 'new' band (or the million people encompassing 'newgnr' over the years) has released 15 songs in over a decade. What is interesting about that? That is pretty boring from the get-go. Let alone doing the same tour over and over. That is fairly dull.

Perhaps they would have pushed together forward musically. In fact personalities aside I see no reason that would not have happened really, yet it was seemingly inevitable they would part regardless. They were always more than the sum of their parts which is why the difference is so striking now.

Edited by JAC185

By the same token, what is exciting about the new band? Sure they are touring, but there are canned setlists, no sign of any new material being released, no U.S. tour, no buzz in the states about Chinese Democracy, no televised appearances, no new GNR radio play, no videos, no live DVD's.

Now is that exciting????

Yes, because the music is good. Why is this always about something other than the music for you new GNR haters? Why is it always about who is in the band, music videos, televised appearances, DVD's? Focus on the music you silly nitpickers.

I guess that's the difference between Axl and Slash. Axl is a musician who won't make concessions. Slash is a businessman in the vein of Gene Simmons or Chad Kroeger.

Edited by Axl Knows

yeah, fakegnr is sooooooooooo much more interesting and successful than u2, ac/dc or metallica

lollolololo

if the real gnr had stayed together, they would be as big as the bands i've mentioned

Fake GNR? You mean Slash and Myles Kennedy right? Yeah, Slash/Myles do suck alot of dick and they need to stop playing GNR songs.

The REAL GNR are currently in the process of a succesful world tour and are currently writing and recording a new album.

Again, why is this always about something other than the music for you new GNR haters? It's always about commercial success for you guys. You all need to clear Saul's semen out your ears.

Edited by Axl Knows

There's no way old GNR would have gotten as boring as NuGNR. The old band kept Axl in check, now that he's boss, he can sit on his ass for years at a time and nobody will raise a finger. Now to a fan, THATS some boring shit

GNR are currently writing and recording a new album.

No they are not.

O rly? :rofl-lol:

They aren't?

From what Axl has said Chi Dem parts II and III are already recorded to a greater or lesser degree. They new guys may well still finesse them but the tracks are written,nad it we are bleive Baz's quote it all forms part of a cohesive whole that links back to Chi Dem.

People ask us all the time about a next album and we all speak the same truth, that we would *like* to work on another album, and hopefully will. I think some quotes in that Bergen Norway article got lost in translation, from what the band said to what was printed, to how it was translated again to other languages. Right now the focus is touring, bringing the live show to the world. After that, we'll see what's best to do next...

http://www.bumblefoot.com/press/20100629_-_Whiplash_(Brazil)/20100629_-_Whiplash_(Brazil).htm

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=163431

Slash a poor songwriter? The f? Coma, Locomotive? Yes, he's not as good as Axl in my opinion as well, but certainly not bad. Also, please keep in mind his riffs and solos. He has/had an incredible sense of melody.

You know, you don't have to openly hate Slash just because you love Axl :shrugs: Behave yourself

Current GNR is the most boring GNR lineup ever... And current line up GNR has never even recorded a song.