Cross Promotion? Cameos? Guests?

sascha

I remember Axl complaining about Slash performing with other artists and stuff, maybe he could not see how this actually got more people into Guns? Aside from these kind of gigs being personal favours or just killing time, it’s also good cross promotion and it’s not hurting the music, it’s actually connecting people with music and artists they might have never given a chance otherwise.

Today Axl is working with Richard Fortus who also performed with many other artists, nothing wrong with that but it makes me wonder why Axl to this day keeps complaining about Slash performing with others? Did someone whisper in his ear saying working with other musicians is evil or what does Axl base this on? Not knocking anyone here, just observing.

Doesn’t look like Axl is into cameos (he did like three in 20 years or so) but I think it would be pretty cool if Guns would reach out and do that kind of “cross promotion” to get more attention for the band and more people into Guns music. They perform with Bach and the Trailer Park guys and though fun does that really widen anyones musical horizon?

The goal should be people at a let’s say Lady Gaga concert going like “look, there’s the guy from Guns N’ Roses, now that’s a mean guitar solo I gotta check them out!!!” and not like Guns fans at a Guns show going “isn’t that the guy who played cello on Paul McCartney’s last tour?”. Know what I mean? Thoughts?

I agree with the OP. I would love to see Axl himself guest on an Eminem single. One of those "rap the verse, have someone come in and sing the chorus" songs. They've both got the rebellious, mad at the world, half psycho attitude. I'm no expert, but I think it could be a huge hit and a huge push for Gn'R.

I agree with the OP. I would love to see Axl himself guest on an Eminem single. One of those "rap the verse, have someone come in and sing the chorus" songs. They've both got the rebellious, mad at the world, half psycho attitude. I'm no expert, but I think it could be a huge hit and a huge push for Gn'R.

Not sure that would work but think of Axl doing vocals with Tool/Puscifer, Ron jamming with Kings Of Leon or Guns having Jack White for a song, that's what I'm talking about. They all have their sideprojects and other gigs and stuff but nothing with actual recognition for Guns. The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Elton John were all not too cool to perform with Axl back when he was the hot shit of the day and I'm sure it got some people into Guns. Today Axl is one of those "legends" himself but it appears he's kinda picky when it comes to reach out and connect some musical dots for the younger generation? Maybe I'm naive but I don't get it.

Axl didn't have an issue with Slash performing with other artists, it was who those artist were that he took issue with.

As for who Slash played with when he was in Guns well he performed with Alice Cooper, Lenny Kravitz, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson...it's not like he went over to the dark side and recorded with David Hasselhoff or something. Today it's different but look at Jimmy Page working with Sean Combs and this Olmypia chick, you think he'd do that if he was active in Led Zeppelin? He's bored! Maybe Slash is bored too? Would he be in Guns I'm sure he'd be too busy for playing with everyone and probably be more picky about it too.