Friction = Fire?

Ghostie

When I watched the video of Duff playing with Axl, it seemed to kick the energy up a notch on stage. For the sake of argument, wouldn't it be best if Axl and Slash ever reunited, for them to still have some hostility toward one another, ie. feeding off that in a live or studio environment. Is this a main catalyst as to why the Guns albums were so stellar. A form of one upmanship if you will. All that friction igniting the fires of creativity. I say fuck kissing and making up. Keep things how they are, get together and see what can come of it.

It was Keef's book's account of his feelings for Mick that got me thinking along these lines, btw.

Based on how miserable they all were as the UYI tour progressed I can't say I agree that Axl and Slash getting back together with the current bad blood between them would be a positive thing.

Keef and Mick went through the same type of thing during the 1981/82 tours where they were not speaking to one another and many oldtime Stones fans feel those tours were the worst of the pre82 Stones tours....

I don't know if the Stones would still be together if Keef and Mick did not mend some fences in the late 80's so they could reform in 1989...

Also look at how miserable the members of VR were on that last tour and how it had a negative impact on the shows.........

I think a little tension and competition in a band is a healthy thing for creativity but IMHO I think Axl and Slash need to come to some type of truce or compromise for them to continue working together..........

The only fence Mick and Keith mended in '89 was they realized they couldn't make it on their own, that billions could be made off them touring as the Stones. It's basically like a couple getting back together not because they love each other but because it's a marriage of (financial) convenience. IMO, while it's great on one hand to see the Stones on tour, I feel their legacy would've been much better off had they quit in 1982 OR went on a last tour in 1989/1990 and released Steel Wheels as their last album. Their legacy would've went off on a high note--releasing a sound album that showed these guys could still do good in their mid-late 40s and a pretty good tour. I think the last few tours have kind of tarnished their legacy.

The only time tension works, it seems, is between guitarists. Slash didn't want Izzy in the band originally and so there was tension between both of them, which lead to them riffing against and with each other AFD--Trying to outdo each other. Same thing with Keith Richards and Mick Taylor. For some reason, Vocalist/Guitarist tension never seems to work to a positive effect.

Edited by Indigo Child