Whose biography did you like better?

Madridista

Duff's was by and large the best written. It could work as a standalone book, y'know, one that sells without the GN'R exposure and stuff.

However, as a GN'R fan, I liked Slash's the best. It had so many details about the band, especially pre-Appetite. I'm actually considering rereading it after I look through Marc Canter's book (which I just ordered yesterday).

Steven's was... I don't know. He had so much unreasonable contempt for Axl. I mean, Axl fucked his girlfriend and put it out on record, and Steven doesn't mention that (which would be a great reason to hate Axl); however, he whines about how snobby Axl was the entire time. :lol: It was just too weird. Though the hospital story was really quite sweet.

I only just finished Duff's book an hour ago & I found it to be quite an insight to the life of being in a band. That cocaine use really made a mess of his sinuses & if that doesn't put you off drinking & taking drugs then I guess nothing will. It was a nice finish off with him meeting Axl again in London & going on stage with him, I hope they have kept in touch as he wanted to & maybe we'll see more performing together.

I liked Steven's book but now I read that it may have been written by someone else so feel a bit dudded. He sounded such a nice guy (of course) but couldn't keep his mouth shut at times when it was probably best to. Seems he still has that problem but maybe thats just his personality, sad what the drugs have done to him and again a real put off when it comes to experimenting with these substances. Yes the hospital story was very sweet, the fact that Axl sat there for so long waiting for him to wake up was very touching & not how you imagined Axl to be towards him at all. :heart:

About to read Slash's book but is it a true account of his time with the band? I imagine because of his drug use that his book will be very hazy & not true to form - what did you all think who read it? :book:

Waiting for Axl's book to be written but guess it won't be in this lifetime, might borrow the other book you mentioned from the library but I've again read that it's nothing that we don't already know from internet & the others' stories etc.

You know, over the years I've learned to take what people say with a grain of salt.

Slah's biography is very honest, or at least it sounds honest. However, I did get the feeling that he would sometimes downplay his role in the demise of GnR. You know, like he'd say stuff like Yeah, I was drunk most of the time or I was using drugs on a very regular basis, but it didn't affect the band or my performance.

I mean, I wasn't there or anything. But I guess having a drug addict and a drunk on stage every night must affect your band on a certain level.

But it's still a pretty interesting read.

Been a while since I read Slash's book, but I think it is the one that I enjoyed most. I particularly enjoy hearing about the writing creating of songs, and Slash had some great stuff in regards to that.

The stuff in Steven's book about sexual abuse...I did not see that coming. Poor guy.

I was going to say that it's also interesting to hear different people recount the same event, and how drastically different the accounts can be...but I can't think of any specific incidents of this between the three books atm. But, speaking of which, anybody who also diggs the whole alt/grunge rock scene of the early nineties will love the book Everybody Loves Our town. The author interviewed a bunch of people (separately - one at at time) from that scene, then combined all of the quotes into a sort of linear cohesive narrative. Like, if so and so happened to be say something about a specific time Kurt Cobain was taking drugs, he'll then follow that up with someone else's quote detailing the same incident, and the two are often totally contradictory. Kind of a neat reminder about how "history" really works.

There's also a fair bit in the book about Axl, and some on Duff too. I think the woman's name was Bree Leventhal? She was a rep for Geffen...or something like that. She talks a lot about Axl. One story I remember is something about the two of them talking on the phone and her feeling that Axl could sort of psychically get into hear head, or something like that.

I thought Slash's book was the most entertaining...Duffs book was good but he spent a lot of time talking about fighting his demons and would have liked more details about the band especially about the period from 1993 until he left the band but he told some great stories especially about the first tour to Seattle when they became the AFD band and dealing with Scott...Steven's book was an easy read but pretty much fluff.........

Would love a book from Izzy where he tells the story from his perspective. Even better would be a tell all book by Marc Canter as I think he is the most objective or a book by Goldstein...........I would love a book from Axl but think it would be one long rant..........

Edited by classicrawker

As I think I said before, Axl should write his own autobiography. You know, tell his side of the story. Tell us about the demise of GnR from his point of view. It'd be a VERY interesting read.

In the past, i make a topic for an Axl autobiography discussion etc., but when i'm banned, the topic deleted <_<

As I think I said before, Axl should write his own autobiography. You know, tell his side of the story. Tell us about the demise of GnR from his point of view. It'd be a VERY interesting read.

It had better come with a dictionary so we can at least decipher some of his ramblings :rolleyes: