Paul was more important than some know

Vincent Vega

Axl mentions Paul briefly in an interview for MTV in 1988. A joint interview with Slash. He mentions how Paul had taught Axl all about the blues and emotionalism in guitar and that Paul was a big Jimmy Page nut. It inspired Axl, when he went to LA, to seek out a player with this same style--this same sort of feeling in their playing. When he arrived there, he said, he found all sorts of guys who wanted to be Van Halen and play the fastest--Basically soul-less guitar players-- and that it took him five years to find someone along the lines of what Paul described--A guitar player with feeling, emotion, the blues, soul--And he's referring to Slash.

I'll post the video clip when I find it. In an indirect way, Paul turning Axl on to bluesy, Page-esque guitar playing and showing him what real guitar was might've led to Axl grabbing up Slash.....

Axl: "Slash is one of the most emotional guitar players that I've ever met or ever seen and...coming from Indiana, I used to play with this guitar player named Paul and I learned about blues and emotionalism and stuff through him, and he was a big Page fanatic, and then I came to LA and I saw all these people trying to be Eddie van Halen, and it took five years to find somebody who played more from the heart rather than just trying to be the fastest and trying to do this and that to be a "big rock star", someone who, like, he'll be very quiet and stuff most of the time and really won't let a lot of himself out until he picks up the guitar, and then his heart and soul seems to pour out through a guitar and it's just like I sit down a lot of times at shows, I'll sit down right in front of his amp when he's doing a solo, cause it just, it means so much to me just to hear that."

Edited by Indigo Miser

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible what Slash could have been with Paul..

Ego, ego, ego. It amazes me how people in here just side with Slash because they're still mad at Axl for ripping them off of a ticket 23 years ago..

Some of ya'll need to move on for christ sake!

Slash said in his biography that he couln't play with Paul, that there was no chemistry between them. I wasn't there, but putting a band together is not as simple as getting random musicians in a room and telling them to play. There has to be a certain level of chemistry between them. If there was no chemistry between Slash and Paul, which does not mean that Paul can't play, I don't see why Slash or the rest of the band should've accepted him in the band. :shrugs:

I'll give you another example. After Denis Stratton was fired from Iron Maiden, Steve Harris started looking for someone to take his place in the band. They tried several guitarists, but none of them had any chemistry with Dave Murray, the other guitarist in the band. It wasn't until they heard Adrian Smith play that they found the guy they were looking for. And it all came down to the chemistry between them.

And I just wanna make something very clear. The fact that I like Slash's solo stuff doesn't mean I hate Axl <_<

Slash said in his biography that he couln't play with Paul, that there was no chemistry between them. I wasn't there, but putting a band together is not as simple as getting random musicians in a room and telling them to play. There has to be a certain level of chemistry between them. If there was no chemistry between Slash and Paul, which does not mean that Paul can't play, I don't see why Slash or the rest of the band should've accepted him in the band. :shrugs:

I'll give you another example. After Denis Stratton was fired from Iron Maiden, Steve Harris started looking for someone to take his place in the band. They tried several guitarists, but none of them had any chemistry with Dave Murray, the other guitarist in the band. It wasn't until they heard Adrian Smith play that they found the guy they were looking for. And it all came down to the chemistry between them.

And I just wanna make something very clear. The fact that I like Slash's solo stuff doesn't mean I hate Axl <_<

True..But Axl himself said he felt Paul got the best out of slash, and no one in the band had a proper replacement for gilby anyways, so axl made the decision.

Also, can't forget about Slash's ego. Slash didn't like paul because slash didn 't pick him, axl did, and why give credit to axl for anything??

All good points..

Yeah, yeah, but Paul is a nobody for this day and Slash is a guitar hero

Truth is the turth hurts don't you agree?

inb4slashpentatonicbash

Fact is, Slash is just as egominiacal as Axl. Slash just tells you what you wanna hear. And no one cares for sellouts who pose for guitar hero and plays with rap boys.

Truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree? It's harder for slash to live with the truth about him, than the lies about Axl..

Fact is, Slash is just as egominiacal as Axl. Slash just tells you what you wanna hear. And no one cares for sellouts who pose for guitar hero and plays with rap boys.

Truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree? It's harder for slash to live with the truth about him, than the lies about Axl..

Yeah, yeah, but this thread is for Slash, Paul and Axl

For me, it's not a problem Slash working "rap boys" or Fergie or whatever the fuck. I don't care the Guitar Hero game. A lot of people care.

Not to mention the GTA San Andreas game where Axl is a radio DJ etc...

It's harder for slash to live with the truth about him

Both Slash and Axl are egomanical as fuck, but Axl is the crazier.

Edited by Crash Diet

True..But Axl himself said he felt Paul got the best out of slash, and no one in the band had a proper replacement for gilby anyways, so axl made the decision.

Also, can't forget about Slash's ego. Slash didn't like paul because slash didn 't pick him, axl did, and why give credit to axl for anything??

All good points..

Yeah, yeah, but Paul is a nobody for this day and Slash is a guitar hero

Truth is the turth hurts don't you agree?

inb4slashpentatonicbash

1. Never understood why Axl fired Gilby. Slash said he was one of the few guitarists they could find on such short notice, whose style fit the band perfectly and resembled Izzy's.

Anyway...

1. I don't see why Slash would be a sellout for lending his likeness to guitar hero. Nothing wrong with making money off this image :shrugs:

2. I don't think Slash didn't like Paul because it was Axl who brought him in. Matt didn't like Paul, Duff didn't like Paul, Slash didn't like Paul. It was about them believing Paul didn't fit in GnR.

You're new here... you'll have a lot of back-reading to do :lol:

I know. It kinda sucks being the new kid on the block :rofl-lol:

Why though?

These topics have been flogged to death over the years plenty of times - you'll soon get up to speed, and see why it divides people!

When Paul was on stage at Rio, he looked like some sort of guitar tech. If you read Slash's book he don't have a good word to say about Paul. Seems Paul has zero personality. What does Paul do to pay the bills, as i'm not aware of any band he has been in ?

When Paul was on stage at Rio, he looked like some sort of guitar tech. If you read Slash's book he don't have a good word to say about Paul. Seems Paul has zero personality. What does Paul do to pay the bills, as i'm not aware of any band he has been in ?

mank RAGE?

so paul gave axl an opinion on guitar that most any rock fans could have given him. meanwhile, slash actually learned to kick ass. that quote from axl means less about paul's knowledge of music and more about axl's insulated, small world.

If you had been in LA in the 80's, where Axl and everyone who wanted to be something in music were, you would see everyone apparently was just trying to be a technical wizard. He and Izzy could have found any EVH knockoff on any corner and been just like every other band. Slash's blues based, punk influenced, metal style guitar playing was almost exclusive to himself in that scene. So everyone in LA in the 80's was in an insulated, small world?